XF 1.2 What happened to Template Modification in XF1.2.2 ?

swatme

Hi

when XF 1.2 is introduced, The Template Modification System (similar to TMS addon) was builtin already
in xf 1.2 , so i decided to remove TMS 3rd party addon since theres already built in.

now when i updated to XF 1.2.2 , the Template Modification is gone?
i cant add new template modification , it only shows the previous template i custom modified

is it really gone in XF 1.2.2 ?
tms.webp

In one of the betas or just before the final 1.2.0 release it was decided, due to the fact that it is primarily a developer tool for add-ons, that the option should only be available in debug mode.

As such you need Debug mode enabled to use it.

Please read the guide I link to in my signature. You should favour direct template edits over using the template modification system.

There no longer needs to be a reluctance to edit templates directly as it is now much easier to handle template changes after upgrades.

thanks for info @Chris Deeming

but my problem is i am replicating all my template modification to other xf sites i have.
the TM is much easier to see and copy which templates need to edit in other xf sites.

documenting
FIND THIS
REPLACE WITH

is easier i guess compared with scanning all the template codes one by one

Reactions: rdn
thanks for info @Chris Deeming

but my problem is i am replicating all my template modification to other xf sites i have.
the TM is much easier to see and copy which templates need to edit in other xf sites.

documenting
FIND THIS
REPLACE WITH

is easier i guess compared with scanning all the template codes one by one
@swatme While XenForo calls moving this into debug mode a feature.... I see it as a design flaw.

This will fix the issue and allow you to use the TMS as before without debug mode being on
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/restore-new-button-for-template-modifications.2247/

They've not referred to that change as a feature. It was simply a change that placed more of an emphasis on it being primarily a tool for add-on developers (what it was designed for).
But it can also be used for template modification and XenForo should not exclude the possibility of people using it for such (it should continue to be designed with both in mind).

It's an advanced tool which requires some semblance of technical knowledge. As such, it made sense to move it to an area with other tools of its nature.
The old TMS (unofficial 3rd party version)
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/template-modification-system-tms.293/

Was used by people with advance knowledge and by people with no knowledge at all.... People got along fine with it just the same.

We'll agree to disagree. I still see that hiding this is a "design flaw" (and given how many people have that fix installed, I'm not alone).

i highly agree that Template Modification button should be back in the next version.
a simple FIND THIS and REPLACE WITH is a basic tool which all users can understand.

Also its too hassle and tasky to manually enable the DEBUG mode on your site
just to enable the Template Modification button.
then turn off debug again to make your site fast...

@Kier @Mike please bring back the Create Template Modification button.
all users love it! its the simplest fastest way for us "ordinary users"
to customized xf easily and replicate that customization to other xf sites.

thanks

If this useful feature requires some admin education .. make a video how to use the Template Modifications.

Hiding features seems to cause more problems than it solves.

TMS was used by people with advance knowledge and by people with no knowledge at all.... People got along fine with it just the same.
I don't remember people screwing things up with TMS.
Isn't TMS supposed to make edits *easier* and *safer* ?
Isn't hiding a safety net making things more dangerous ?

i highly agree that Template Modification button should be back in the next version.
a simple FIND THIS and REPLACE WITH is a basic tool which all users can understand.

Also its too hassle and tasky to manually enable the DEBUG mode on your site
just to enable the Template Modification button.
then turn off debug again to make your site fast...

@Kier @Mike please bring back the Create Template Modification button.
all users love it! its the simplest fastest way for us "ordinary users"
to customized xf easily and replicate that customization to other xf sites.

thanks
In the mean time there is this FIX
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/restore-new-button-for-template-modifications.2247/

Which will eliminate the need for debug mode, thanks to @rellek

My 'fix' - if you want to call it that way - just bypasses the check for the debug mode, so the button "Add Template Modification" appears regardless if debug mode is on or not. @Brogan is right, there is no need for debug mode on if you want to add a TM, it's just the button that is displayed (or not by default).

Debug mode is not required to create a TM.

Navigate to admin.php?template-modifications/add
True, but who can remember that path?

Don't answer, I'm sure you can. My point being no one should have to do so.

There should be a link or button that even noobs can find without trying to hunt for hidden links or manually typing in commands into their address bar ... ie... it should be user friendly.

Isn't that what a bookmark in a browser is for? :LOL:

I have a folder strictly for all web related maint stuff I do (especially since I run multiple sites and softwares) and just save a link there for my common used stuff.
Shouldn't be necessary for one's own site. It should be inside the core just like everything else... I do not need to bookmark style properties or the add-ons I install. I shouldn't need to bookmark a simple TMS.

Top Bottom