What does the following user group permission do?

This means they are NOT placed in the moderation queue. (y)

Turn it off and any posts/threads are placed in the moderation queue and have to be manually approved before they appear on the board.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

The phrase "Follow message moderation rules" confused me when I first moved to Xenforo. I assumed seeing it to "Yes" meant that posts would be moderated as users would then be following moderation rules ie posts would be moderated. I soon learned this was incorrect when all users' posts were being moderated!

II think it would be clearer if the phrase was "Posts are moderated".

Last edited:
Yes, if you never check "moderate" on the node settings tab, and "allow" in all permissions, this is true. But it's not intuitive. For instance, I figured that "allow" would cause the posts to be moderated, and "no" would mean they didn't have to follow the rules. It's the opposite, unless you check the node permissions box, which reverses the rules

Yes, if you never check "moderate" on the node settings tab, and "allow" in all permissions, this is true. But it's not intuitive. For instance, I figured that "allow" would cause the posts to be moderated, and "no" would mean they didn't have to follow the rules. It's the opposite, unless you check the node permissions box, which reverses the rules
Follow message moderation rules: Not set (No)

Puts things into moderation (just tested it)

Adam, you confirmed my point. By default, everyone (esp newbies) should not check the moderate all posts box in the node settings. Then they should also set Allow in user/group permissions for following mod rule (for whatever level of user they do not want to have auto moderated).

If node setting is unchecked, which it is by default upon creation, and one looks at their permissions and sees "follow moderation rules," it's understandable to miss the connection and come to the logical conclusion that selecting no (not set) would mean that user/group would not be moderated. The result is that one starts looking for other logical explanations, going on a hours-long wild goose chase (like I did today) looking at askimet settings, span settings, creating test users, talking on the phone with users, until they figure it out.

"Allow" in the case of the "follow moderating rule" permission means "do not negate node setting" and "no (not set)", unless there is an inherited Allow, will "negate node setting". So the no/allow terminology makes it unintuitive but really just for this one permission, and also because from what I can tell it's the only permission setting that acts like this (negating a check box setting elsewhere)

Once you understand the function of the two settings, then the terminology "follow message moderation rule" is the correct way to describe the permission setting. It is just not intuitively obvious what the co-dependent function of the two settings is based on the terminology alone.

Adam, you confirmed my point. By default, everyone (esp newbies) should not check the moderate all posts box in the node settings.
Actually, no, I disproved your point as mine is not checked. :rolleyes:

Edit Forum  Test Posting   Admin CP - Socially Uncensored.webp

Follow message moderation rules: Allow (Does not put people into moderation)

Follow message moderation rules: Not set (Does put people into moderation)

Adam I'm not arguing with you, we're both right. All I was trying to point out is that it is not intuitive. If one doesn't understand the connection between the node setting and the permission setting, they might assume that the permission setting determines if the user/group gets messages moderated by thinking "no (not set)" implies they would not get moderated, and "allow" means they would get moderated, when in fact it is the opposite, because "allow" equals a "yes" which means "follow the rule" and the rule is "do not moderate". From a programming logic perspective, it does make sense (I may be rusty, but I was writing in BASICA as a kid in the 1980s) but from a non-programming logic standpoint, it is not intuitive, and it has seemed to trip many people up (hence the multiple threads on this issue) so I wrote the guide to help clarify.

I updated my guide per Mike's comment on the discussion to reflect this, as well as to correct that is does not negate the checkbox as that was a poor way to describe it, and also to state that if the box is checked, it is essentially a global override on the permission setting.

Top Bottom