What do you use 'Like' for?

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
The Like button is an interesting beast, as the simple action of 'Liking' something can have so many different meanings.

Personally, I use it to mean one or several of the following:
  • I like this post
  • Thanks for saying this
  • I agree with this post
There are probably a few others I use, but I'm interested to see what other interpretations there are among us.

In the suggestions forum, I use it to indicate that I agree. Elsewhere, I use it to indicate a post that I think is well thought out, makes a valid point, amuses me, or extols the virtues of Emacs :P

Primarily I use it to signify that something was a good idea or that I agree with something that was posted but don't feel like posting something unless I have much more to say.

The rest might be me thinking something said was funny, or sometimes I just like it for no reason. :p

Anything positive in nature.

Nice system. I can disagree with someone publicly such as the how to order the tabs in the nav bar (in a respectful manner of course), then the same people make some really good posts which I agree with, and 'Like' them. Which adds to the upbeat atmosphere, and make the previous (polite) comments more palatable.

Using the word 'Like' seems more personal and friendly than a plain '+' button.

• Liking a post
  • Disliking an idea but the member sticking to his her guns evolving that idea to something with merit
  • Made me laugh (had humour)
  • Agreeing with member
  • Helping/helpful to others
Probably hundreds of other reasons I can't think of right now.

I feel the same way, but now that I think about it, I much prefer the term "like" compared to "thanks"... because I could like a post without necessarily being thankful for it, whereas with the "thanks" system, you can only thank a post that helps you or is otherwise worthy of being thanked.
This.

And you just got your 50th Like for that :D

I feel the same way, but now that I think about it, I much prefer the term "like" compared to "thanks"... because I could like a post without necessarily being thankful for it, whereas with the "thanks" system, you can only thank a post that helps you or is otherwise worthy of being thanked.

Me too. Whenever I think "like" I automatically think of Xenforo (because I never use facebook). The only problem I have with the like feature is that I don't have it for my own board, not that I use my site anymore. :P

Same reasons.

It's become so addictive that I've been on other forums looking for the Like button before realising it wasn't there and facepalming because the forum wasn't quite as beautiful as XF so I should've noticed sooner... addictions eh? ;)

Top Bottom