What do you think about node.js

aculate

i keep hearing about this new technology that everyone is talking about called Node and the explosive growth and how the dev community are loving it.

Is it something serious, a life changing technology (like ajax) or just another "framework" ?

What do the experts think....

http://nowjs.com/

Node.js is great. Once you get past the huge differences in program flow when compared to PHP, you can do some amazing things with it. It's designed to make development of hugely scalable systems simpler, and it works. :)

I enjoy working with Node.js, but in terms of scaling, I'd say only if you're dealing with "scaling in the small" (other languages and architectures are better suited for high scaling (e.g., Erlang)), or nothing too CPU intensive (not a lot of control over the memory model in v8).

Highly doubtful a Node.js implementation of XenForo would work as you so wish. What advantage would you gain from moving certain portions to optionally be implemented via Node.js?

Mind you, I'm not completely against node for projects (I am a professional node developer myself), but don't see the benefit of XenForo implementing it.

I enjoy working with Node.js, but in terms of scaling, I'd say only if you're dealing with "scaling in the small" (other languages and architectures are better suited for high scaling (e.g., Erlang)), or nothing too CPU intensive (not a lot of control over the memory model in v8).
I'm fairly sure that Paypal make very extensive use of nodeJS so I am sure there are proven ways to tackle scaling.

Top Bottom