XF 1.5 Welcome to XenForo 1.5 / Assorted Improvements

Welcome to XenForo 1.5. We're now ready to upgrade XenForo.com and start putting the new code through its paces. Following this, we will start the public beta process. All customers with active licenses will be able to download and test the new version. However, please be aware that beta versions are not supported and should not be installed on production sites.

There are still some other assorted improvements coming in XenForo 1.5 that we haven't covered yet, so let's look at those...

Link title conversion

When a post is made, links can automatically be converted to show the title of the page they link to. If enabled, a "simple" link like this:
Code:
[URL]https://xenforo.com/community/[/URL]
Would be automatically converted to:
Code:
[URL="https://xenforo.com/community/"]XenForo Community[/URL]

This process is similar to automatic media embedding. If a link uses something other than the URL as the anchor text, it will not be converted.

Proxy referral tracking

The link and image proxies now log aggregated referrer information:

upload_2015-6-30_13-27-43.webp

This can be used to determine where a particular image or link has been embedded or where it is most popular.

There is one entry per referral URL per image or link URL. This data can be maintained for a shorter amount of time than the base image/link proxy logs:

upload_2015-6-30_13-28-20.webp

Post and profile post edit alerts

XenForo 1.4 introduced author alerts to various post- and thread-related actions. We have already expanded this to similar actions with profile posts in 1.5, but we have also expanded this to cover post and profile post editing:

upload_2015-6-30_13-33-57.webp

upload_2015-6-30_13-30-46.webp

These both work similarly to the existing author alert systems.

Bypass spam check permission

Configuring XenForo's content-based spam prevention systems can help cut down on the amount of spam you receive, but they can be triggered by legitimate users. There is now a permission called Bypass spam check that allows you to exempt users from being checked against spam options or databases when they're creating content, regardless of the number of messages they have posted.

This is useful if you have an external or clear signal that the user is legitimate. For example, on XenForo.com, when a user associates their account with their license, we can be pretty sure they're not a spammer.

That sums up the big changes coming in XenForo 1.5. We'll be making tweaks over time based on the feedback we receive. If you have any specific suggestions, please post in the suggestions forum so it can be properly tracked. If you notice any bugs here since the upgrade to XenForo in 1.5, please post in the bugs forum.

Will 1.5 automatically recognize base URLs that do not include a subdomain like www. in them as links?

So current vapingblips.com does not automatically like but Vaping Blips does. With the current trend (and google recommendation) being to stop using www in the URL this is starting to cause more instances of people posting site references that do not automatically get linked.

I would be great to see XF automatically detect and link all major top level domains like .com, .org, .gov, etc...

That's interesting, can you please post link to those recommendations, thanks
Interesting... I was basing the google part of the comment on common hearsay I saw on some admin sites but now that I try to find a reference I see that it is simply webmaster preference and google doesn't care.

Either way, the question/request still stands. Users frequently post site names without www and they don't currently get recognized as URLs and it would be useful if they would be.

I was basing the google part of the comment on common hearsay I saw on some admin sites but now that I try to find a reference I see that it is simply webmaster preference and google doesn't care.

That's good to know.

However Google might care if you had both www and non www version of a site, as it could see pages as duplicates, hence people redirect from www to non www or vice versa as good SEO practice.

Quick question about Link title conversion - how do I show the actual URL in a post and make it a link? For example, this URL:

https://xenforo.com/community/tags/customization/

If I simply paste it into a post, it displays the link title, thus:

customization | XenForo Community

If I paste it into a post and use the link button on it to add the URL, I still get the link title, thus:

customization | XenForo Community

I was hoping that the latter method would give me the URL as text but linked too.

How do you get this to work? Whenever I paste a link into a post, it displays as a linked url and not the link title? :confused: <------this face shows my confusion lol

With the same url, instead of getting this....

XenForo Community

....I get this....

Screen Shot 2015-08-23 at 10.56.42.webp

So I've enabled this on my site, but when I link to another thread it doesn't tack on the "| xyz community" on the end even through that's in the page title.

I linked to this thread for instance and it doesn't show "| Xenforo Community" do I have to add something in {} to make that happen?

For instance this link

Reef Aquarium Fact #2 Clownfish and Sea Anemones live in a partenership call symbios

Does not show "Reef2Reef" at the end for me

huh...it's doesn't here either, even though in the page title if I hover over the browser tab, it does.

XF 1.5 - Welcome to XenForo 1.5 / Assorted Improvements

Wait...now it's not doing it on here either anymore. So is there a {} that I have to enter to add the forum title?

Nope. After a fair amount of feedback we decided to reapproach where the title actually comes from.

If it exists, the first place we look for a title is the Facebook OpenGraph (or Twitter) metadata. The same title that would be shared on social media if a link was shared there.

If that doesn't exist, that's when we use the actual page title.

In XF most "shareable" pages have the metadata. Otherwise it's just the normal page title.

The page title includes the board title. But the social meta data doesn't.

We were getting plenty of requests about removing the board title from the URL and this was the solution.

Seems to be working here...

Have you got more examples that don't work?

If you're having problems you should post in the Troubleshooting forum.

The only way is to have the text be different than the link. You could do that with BB code or wrapping the link (but inside the link with plain tags for example. I will admit it does catch me out occasionally.

Laziest way is to omit or add something from/to the end of the link, e.g. remove the trailing slash from the text you paste into the editor, then convert that text to a link using the hyperlink button on the editor:
https://xenforo.com/community/tags/customization

Having played around with this some more, I discovered that the easiest way to make a URL show when required with auto link title enabled is to simply add a space before or after the URL and include that in the selection when linking.

Normal auto link
Media | XenForo Community

Manual link where text is the URL (so still auto links)
Media | XenForo Community

Space before included in the selected text
https://xenforo.com/community/media/?page=2

Space after included in the selected text
https://xenforo.com/community/media/?page=2

Hello,

Do I need to define a format using {url} and {title} tags or should I let it empty?
Also, this only work on public nodes?

You don't need to enter anything and yes, titles will only be possible for pages which are visible to guests.

Have you got more examples that don't work?
Yes I do and I'll post them.
Members post all sorts of links that include # !| and so on and this is where it becomes a mess.
The feature otherwise is long awaited and I love it, but you need to include more case scenario where for example links to some sites include various tracking parameters.

Well, we can only do that with some specific examples. Links with # in should work because they are valid. Links with ! in possibly aren't valid. But to work that out properly we'd need full examples.

Top Bottom