• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.5 Welcome to XenForo 1.5 / Assorted Improvements

Martok

Quick question about Link title conversion - how do I show the actual URL in a post and make it a link? For example, this URL:

https://xenforo.com/community/tags/customization/

If I simply paste it into a post, it displays the link title, thus:

customization | XenForo Community

If I paste it into a post and use the link button on it to add the URL, I still get the link title, thus:

customization | XenForo Community

I was hoping that the latter method would give me the URL as text but linked too.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
The only way is to have the text be different than the link. You could do that with BB code or wrapping the link (but inside the link with plain tags for example. I will admit it does catch me out occasionally.

Martok

Thanks. I wasn't sure if this was a bug or not.

There are specific usage cases for displaying the URL as it is and linked, for example bug reports. I tried linking specific URLs in this post relating to specific tag pages and the result was the same link title for both.

I'm guessing that there's no easy way for the auto conversion to ignore URLs which have already had a link manually added to them as per my second method or you would have already sorted this.

imthebest

There are specific usage cases for displaying the URL as it is and linked, for example bug reports. I tried linking specific URLs in this post relating to specific tag pages and the result was the same link title for both.
This is the reason why I believe the link to title conversion feature is almost useless and ends being confusing. I believe that it should be disabled here in xenforo.com

Martok

This is the reason why I believe the link to title conversion feature is almost useless and ends being confusing. I believe that it should be disabled here in xenforo.com
I think it's very useful, I much prefer seeing linked text than an ugly URL and in most cases on forums the auto link title conversion will be great.

I don't think it should be switched off here on XenForo.com. Most of the time the auto link title conversion is preferable. For the few occasions that it isn't desired, such as bug reports, it would be nice if it didn't auto convert if a URL has already had a link manually added to it.

Set3sh

Hello,

Has xenforo upgraded its forum to 1.5 RC 1 version?
I'm using 1.4.10 and considering upgrading to 1.5.
As this upgrade would take me a day or two I wish to know how stable from a scale of 1 to 10 the RC 1 is?

Kind regards,
George.

rafass

There are many boards using the beta versions without any issues. I want to upgrade now too.
What is the best way to do this? uninstall all the addons first or just go ahead like a normal upgrade?

Rob

Since I'm using UI.X, I will need to wait until the stable release in order to get a supported UI.X release.
I've upgraded the test instance however without issue :)

Rambro

Can someone explain what options are available with the Enter Page Title Format for link conversion? Leaving it blank brings the thread title + the vertical line and the forum name. For other websites it just uses the the title of the article. What else can we configure?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
The vertical line plus forum name is there because the vertical line and forum name is in most of your page titles.

The description below that field explains how it works.