XF 1.5 Welcome to XenForo 1.5 / Assorted Improvements

Welcome to XenForo 1.5. We're now ready to upgrade XenForo.com and start putting the new code through its paces. Following this, we will start the public beta process. All customers with active licenses will be able to download and test the new version. However, please be aware that beta versions are not supported and should not be installed on production sites.

There are still some other assorted improvements coming in XenForo 1.5 that we haven't covered yet, so let's look at those...

Link title conversion

When a post is made, links can automatically be converted to show the title of the page they link to. If enabled, a "simple" link like this:
Code:
[URL]https://xenforo.com/community/[/URL]
Would be automatically converted to:
Code:
[URL="https://xenforo.com/community/"]XenForo Community[/URL]

This process is similar to automatic media embedding. If a link uses something other than the URL as the anchor text, it will not be converted.

Proxy referral tracking

The link and image proxies now log aggregated referrer information:

upload_2015-6-30_13-27-43.webp

This can be used to determine where a particular image or link has been embedded or where it is most popular.

There is one entry per referral URL per image or link URL. This data can be maintained for a shorter amount of time than the base image/link proxy logs:

upload_2015-6-30_13-28-20.webp

Post and profile post edit alerts

XenForo 1.4 introduced author alerts to various post- and thread-related actions. We have already expanded this to similar actions with profile posts in 1.5, but we have also expanded this to cover post and profile post editing:

upload_2015-6-30_13-33-57.webp

upload_2015-6-30_13-30-46.webp

These both work similarly to the existing author alert systems.

Bypass spam check permission

Configuring XenForo's content-based spam prevention systems can help cut down on the amount of spam you receive, but they can be triggered by legitimate users. There is now a permission called Bypass spam check that allows you to exempt users from being checked against spam options or databases when they're creating content, regardless of the number of messages they have posted.

This is useful if you have an external or clear signal that the user is legitimate. For example, on XenForo.com, when a user associates their account with their license, we can be pretty sure they're not a spammer.

That sums up the big changes coming in XenForo 1.5. We'll be making tweaks over time based on the feedback we receive. If you have any specific suggestions, please post in the suggestions forum so it can be properly tracked. If you notice any bugs here since the upgrade to XenForo in 1.5, please post in the bugs forum.

Quick question about Link title conversion - how do I show the actual URL in a post and make it a link? For example, this URL:

https://xenforo.com/community/tags/customization/

If I simply paste it into a post, it displays the link title, thus:

customization | XenForo Community

If I paste it into a post and use the link button on it to add the URL, I still get the link title, thus:

customization | XenForo Community

I was hoping that the latter method would give me the URL as text but linked too.

The only way is to have the text be different than the link. You could do that with BB code or wrapping the link (but inside the link with plain tags for example. I will admit it does catch me out occasionally.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if this was a bug or not.

There are specific usage cases for displaying the URL as it is and linked, for example bug reports. I tried linking specific URLs in this post relating to specific tag pages and the result was the same link title for both.

I'm guessing that there's no easy way for the auto conversion to ignore URLs which have already had a link manually added to them as per my second method or you would have already sorted this.

There are specific usage cases for displaying the URL as it is and linked, for example bug reports. I tried linking specific URLs in this post relating to specific tag pages and the result was the same link title for both.

This is the reason why I believe the link to title conversion feature is almost useless and ends being confusing. I believe that it should be disabled here in xenforo.com

This is the reason why I believe the link to title conversion feature is almost useless and ends being confusing. I believe that it should be disabled here in xenforo.com
I think it's very useful, I much prefer seeing linked text than an ugly URL and in most cases on forums the auto link title conversion will be great.

I don't think it should be switched off here on XenForo.com. Most of the time the auto link title conversion is preferable. For the few occasions that it isn't desired, such as bug reports, it would be nice if it didn't auto convert if a URL has already had a link manually added to it.

Hello,

Has xenforo upgraded its forum to 1.5 RC 1 version?
I'm using 1.4.10 and considering upgrading to 1.5.
As this upgrade would take me a day or two I wish to know how stable from a scale of 1 to 10 the RC 1 is?

Kind regards,
George.

There are many boards using the beta versions without any issues. I want to upgrade now too.
What is the best way to do this? uninstall all the addons first or just go ahead like a normal upgrade?

Since I'm using UI.X, I will need to wait until the stable release in order to get a supported UI.X release.
I've upgraded the test instance however without issue :)

Can someone explain what options are available with the Enter Page Title Format for link conversion? Leaving it blank brings the thread title + the vertical line and the forum name. For other websites it just uses the the title of the article. What else can we configure?

The vertical line plus forum name is there because the vertical line and forum name is in most of your page titles.

The description below that field explains how it works.

Top Bottom