• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.4 Welcome to XenForo 1.4 / More Assorted Improvements

caliman

I understand it is publicly visible (for members - I don't allow guests to view profiles - so not sure how that plays out with this).
It is just a gut feeling - if someone is reaching out to a specific member on their profile post board about something , it is because they just want to hear back from that member, not the whole community. So highlighting that on the board index is the 'invasion.' As an admin, I also let profile posts be a lot more casual (less moderated) - that would have to change with this.

So profile posts are somewhere between threads and conversations to me.

I think it is cool in ways (spam) and obviously there are people here that welcome it. I just hope there is a toggle or usergroup setting attached to it. Pardon me if there is, I watched that video last week.

My 2 cents.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
The profile posts will only be visible to those with the relevant view permission.

You can though disable it should you wish to do so.

upload_2014-8-2_1-27-27.png

thedude

So this is a global setting and not member selective?
The overall feature is a global setting, as @Brogan's picture shows. However if it is enabled by the admin, then only members whose profiles are set to public (by the individual member) will have their profile posts shown in the New Profile Posts tab.

Martok

It is just a gut feeling - if someone is reaching out to a specific member on their profile post board about something , it is because they just want to hear back from that member, not the whole community. So highlighting that on the board index is the 'invasion.'
Users should be using private conversations for this. Profile posts are exactly like wall posts on Facebook, they are visible to everyone who has permission. I'd never post anything private in a profile post or a Facebook wall post.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I should clarify my post above.

The option only relates to the block on the sidebar.
There is no option to disable the tab on the New Posts page.

The concerns regarding privacy are a bit strange.
Any profile posts shown there are already visible, both in Recent Activity and on individual profile pages.

All these changes have done is make the content more discoverable, which is something many people complained about.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
That is simple enough to do with a template conditional.

Post a thread in the styling and customizations forum. Someone will talk you through removing it.

Awesome! Can't wait for this to get out of beta! My favorite part:

Custom BB codes: Allow empty
Up until now, if you created a custom BB code that contained no content, it will be ignored and not be rendered. You can now disable this behavior.

The common example is creating a BB code that represents a horizontal rule with this code: [hr][/hr] This example will now work as expected if this option is enabled:

View attachment 79109

ibrian

Loads of great tweaks and features here. Am almost tempted jump straight into XF1.4 instead of 1.3. However, I suspect I'll have to wait a bit longer for a gold release of 1.4. :D