Welcome conversation

jauburn

Thanks for implementing this feature. This allows me to give new users a quick overview of the site's features.

I would think that configuring both the conversation and the welcome email would be redundant, since a new conversation sends out an email message. Am I right?

But what happens first, the welcome conversation or the ability to set their preferences?

Exactly. The admin, I believe, sets initial preferences regarding the sending of email upon initiation of a conversation. Therefore, if set, an initial "welcome" conversation by the system would automatically send an email message to the user's registration email address.

If I'm wrong on this, please let me know, and I will also configure the email welcome letter.

It depends what has been set in the User Registration Options in the ACP.

But the user doesn't set this; the admin does. So at least in the beginning, the welcome conversation will send an email if the admin has set up the board to send email upon initiation of a conversation. If I'm wrong, let me know.

That's the point I am making.

If the admin doesn't have that set, no email will be sent.

Right. So if the admin does have that set, then there should be no reason to configure both the welcome conversation and welcome email. In fact, if both contain essentially the same information, having both configured may represent an annoyance for the user, which obviously would be bad, since first impressions are so important.

I know that I've registered at vbulletin forums in which I've received both a welcome PM and a welcome email message, which raised red flags for me.

So if the admin does have that set, then there should be no reason to configure both the welcome conversation and welcome email.
Correct.

I agree that two would be too much and may even put members off, which would have the opposite effect of what is trying to be achieved.

Top Bottom