XF 2.2 webp support

Is this on some roadmap?

There is no roadmap for XF, but it is confirmed as coming in XF 2.3.

Post from Kier:

There is no roadmap for XF, but it is confirmed as coming in XF 2.3.

Post from Kier:

That's awesome, i'm looking forward to it. Honestly there should be an option to convert all uploaded images to webp.

remains to be seen what functionality they provide out of the box in 2.3 whenever/if it gets a release. and hopefully they go beyond webp as avif is also universally supported now. apple has also added support for jxl while google is being annoying about it.

Of course, the better modifiability the better the experience. :D
Yah.... my biggie is the folks in my primary niche like to download images and use them as backgrounds frequently. You lose some quality in webp. I don't mind dealing with the larger file sizes for storage, and the folks in the niche realize that the image sizes tend to be larger.

That's awesome, i'm looking forward to it. Honestly there should be an option to convert all uploaded images to webp.
Agreed. ;)

1694101075930.png

remains to be seen what functionality they provide out of the box in 2.3 whenever/if it gets a release. and hopefully they go beyond webp as avif is also universally supported now. apple has also added support for jxl while google is being annoying about it.
AVIF doesn't have widespread support on the server-side yet. I will bet you anything you'd like to bet that we won't see support in XenForo 2.3 (probably not 3.0 either).

AVIF support requires PHP 8.1, requires the server it's running on to have libavif installed (the first stable release of that library was released less than a year ago), and (probably) requires the user to be able to compile their own version of PHP because by default PHP doesn't compile in support for it (you need to explicitly give the compiler the --with-avif flag).

So even if everyone's server had the right libraries and a custom compiled version of PHP, you are still limited to ~23% of XenForo customers simply because you need PHP 8.1+

It will be most realistic down the road when PHP is at least including AVIF support by default (like they do for GIF, PNG & JPG).

Yah.... my biggie is the folks in my primary niche like to download images and use them as backgrounds frequently. You lose some quality in webp. I don't mind dealing with the larger file sizes for storage, and the folks in the niche realize that the image sizes tend to be larger.
WebP has supported lossless compression since 2012, so at this point if you are losing quality with WebP, something is being done wrong.

I believe that is a paid part of cloudflare and cannot be added to a free package.
cloudflare polish is fully automated. the screenshot above appears to show a functionality that converts images to webp on command line. though i am not sure what dp product it is 😛

i am guessing it's not a public product and is for in-house purposes. 😬

WebP has supported lossless compression since 2012, so at this point if you are losing quality with WebP, something is being done wrong.
My Mac and Linux boxes don't use WebP as background images AFAIK (honestly haven't tried them) and I usually end up converting any I download in that format into JPG.
Also...wanna piss some astrophotographers off... go changing the format of their images. I've seen users leave a community because of that being done.
I simply purchased an optimizer add-on and it reduces image sizes (overall) by about 40% with no loss of quality and no need to provide it in a different format.
Nothing that XF couldn't roll into their package themselves... but it does require you run on a VPS or dedicated server to work.

Last edited:
cloudflare polish is fully automated. the screenshot above appears to show a functionality that converts images to webp on command line. though i am not sure what dp product it is 😛

i am guessing it's not a public product and is for in-house purposes. 😬
For the time being, ya... I've been consolidating image related functionality improvements into it's own addon. For example:

The CLI command to migrate existing stuff to WebP is a work in-progress. Mostly waiting to see how much WebP related stuff XenForo 2.3 does and planning on going from there.

I just happened to do a Google pagespeed analysis on my XF site and the result for mobile is terrible. The main red mark is the images format. It says if I used WebP format, it will save the loading times 19 seconds :(

Top Bottom