XF 1.2 Watching a Forum

XenForo 1.2 adds another commonly requested feature: the ability to watch a forum. The forum watching system works rather similarly to the thread watching system, just on all content within a forum.

When you click the link to watch a forum, you'll see an overlay like this:

ss-2013-05-27_12-03-40.webp

Notification-less watching options may be expanded in the future (such as with indications on the new threads list).

Notifications work identically to thread watching notifications: you'll only receive one about a thread until you view it on the forum.

Like threads, you can manage your watched forums in bulk via a dedicated page. This can also be used to simply filter only to forums you're interested in.

Administrators can also limit the type of notifications that can be triggered when watching a forum:
ss-2013-05-27_12-06-49.webp

This can be useful to reduce the number of notifications that will be triggered on particularly busy forums.

This is literally bonkers!

My list of "things that would improve xF" is virtually empty now.

Amazing work Mike & team. :)

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the new feature, but I don't think I would use it. Please make sure to add an option in the Admin CP to disable this function?

Thank you.

Any particular reason?

You could set the notification level to none which will prevent notifications.

If it's not configurable or a permission based thing then I guess alongside the above option you could edit it out of templates etc.

Great feature!

... now we only need the ability to "Watch my Profile", so that a member will receive an Email-notification when there is a new Profile-post at his very own Profile-page.

Super useless lol. It's a forum, not a social network.

Any particular reason?

You could set the notification level to none which will prevent notifications.

If it's not configurable or a permission based thing then I guess alongside the above option you could edit it out of templates etc.

Hi Chris,

My forum has about 100 forum areas. I encourage members to visit my forum regularly and use the What's New? button to find new content.

By having an option in the Admin CP to disable the Watching a Forum function, I can easily disable it and I don't have to edit many templates.

As Chris mentioned and as is mentioned in the first post, you can disable the ability for users to get notifications from watched forums (while still giving them some benefit from watching a forum).

As Chris mentioned and as is mentioned in the first post, you can disable the ability for users to get notifications from watched forums (while still giving them some benefit from watching a forum).

Hi Mike,

What would be nice is to have a master switch in the Admin CP that completely disables any reference to this feature. It's really great when you have a master On/Off switch for a feature so we don't have to edit multiple templates if we don't want that feature.

Thank you.

yeah, exactly.
An Email-notification will turn a Forum into a Social Network.... :rolleyes:
You're one of the few who want to turn a forum software into a social network.

If you truly want to feel free to invest your personal money into getting such things done rather than trying to shoehorn functionality into a forum all the time.

You have KISS in your signature but with every suggestion you make you have gone against the principles as you try to and spread the purpose of a forum every which way.

Top Bottom