Warning Improvements by Xon

Warning Improvements by Xon 2.9.5

No permission to download
This add-on currently does not workout when the points actually expire when the option "While at or above points threshold" is used.

:edit: I've added this as a to-do item, but I'm currently busy with a few other very large add-ons.

Last edited:
Disable the "Warning Actions (body)" and "Warning Actions (header)" template modifications so they can't see it.

It may be a week or two before I can look into that. The other solution would be to re-do how your warning system works by decouple the ban/suspend time from the warning itself and put it into the warning action.

Essentially use warnings to add points to the account, and warning actions in inflict timed changes. The warnings can then expiry independently of the warning action. I can detail it a bit more if you like.

OK, but any workaround? Users think that they are perma-banned.
Fixed in v2.1.0 ;)

That would be nice.
Instead of each warning setting up the punishment, a warning is used to add points to their account. Then you create a number of warning actions to act on the point total. This allows you to automatically increase the punishment as they get more points.

For example; consider having a warning which adds 1 point and bans then for 1 day. If you issue that warning 4 times, they have 4 warnings points and are banned for 1 day.

However, if you create warning actions at; 1,2,3,4 warning points each doubling the ban time then a user with 4 1 point warnings means they are automatically banned for 8 days.

This is useful in that moderators no longer need to extensively check warning history or edit the warning they are giving to ensure it bans the user manually for long enough. They can give a standard a standard 1 point warning, and then the next time a user gets an warning, the warning actions ensure their warning point total is used to determine the punishment.

This is what the 'escalating warning defaults' are for, they increase the warning expiry time automatically depending on how many warning points have ever been issued to the account. This was designed to help solve people who drop in; make a mess and then disappear for 6 months. When they return, moderators have probably forgotten about them.

This system is what is used on the two forums I help run (https://forums.spacebattles.com and https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com), which each have +30 moderators each and many thousands of active users.

Mmmh... This addon causes anyone with permissions to issue warnings to get the following message when trying to warn someone.

Code:
You don't have permission to any warnings.

Fixed as soon as I disable the addon.

Mmmh... This addon causes anyone with permissions to issue warnings to get the following message when trying to warn someone.

Code:
You don't have permission to any warnings.

Fixed as soon as I disable the addon.
As designed, please read the overview:

This add-on expects all users able to issue warnings to be a member of the default Registered User's group. If this is not the case, you will not have permission to issue warnings until you:
  • Add every into the Registered Users group
or
  • Adjust the permissions in each Warning Category.

Click on the category? It then opens up an screen to edit them. Adjust 'Allowed User Groups' as required

My apologies, I thought this was a Xenforo 2 feature, I needed this addon to be enabled.

Thank you Xon!

Hey Xon, I found an incompatibility with https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xf2-8wr-member-utilities.6095/
This addon can issue warnings automatically after "multiple accounts" have been detected.
If notes requeriment for warning improvements is enabled, you will get a server error for it to require a note in the warning.

Also there is another incompatibility as seen in here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf2-8wr-member-utilities-paid.141616/post-1241083
@Jaxel should fix the last one only.

Hey Xon, I found an incompatibility with https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xf2-8wr-member-utilities.6095/
This addon can issue warnings automatically after "multiple accounts" have been detected.
If notes requeriment for warning improvements is enabled, you will get a server error for it to require a note in the warning.
This is kinda working as intended. If you make the notes field required, it is required.

If @Jaxel wants, I'm open to pull-requests on how to address this so it works with his paid add-on. This bit which enforces the required status is this custom method and this block

Ideally his add-on should allow the notes field to be filled in, then it would work regardless of what my add-on or other add-ons do.

Trying to install, got an error.. :eek:

Code:
XF\Db\Exception: MySQL statement prepare error [1054]: Unknown column 'warning_count' in 'field list' in src/XF/Db/AbstractStatement.php at line 212

1. XF\Db\AbstractStatement->getException() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 196
2. XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->getException() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 39
3. XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->prepare() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 54
4. XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->execute() in src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php at line 79
5. XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->query() in src/addons/SV/WarningImprovements/Setup.php at line 83
6. SV\WarningImprovements\Setup->installStep4() in src/XF/AddOn/StepRunnerInstallTrait.php at line 60
7. SV\WarningImprovements\Setup->installStepRunner() in src/XF/AddOn/StepRunnerInstallTrait.php at line 27
8. SV\WarningImprovements\Setup->install() in src/XF/Admin/Controller/AddOn.php at line 390
9. XF\Admin\Controller\AddOn->actionInstall() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 249
10. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 88
11. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 41
12. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 1891
13. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 328
14. XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13

I believe this happens if you had the XF1 version installed, but deleted the legacy add-on placeholder.

Xon updated Warning Improvements by Xon with a new update entry:

2.1.2 - Feature update

Thanks to @Recep Baltaş for funding this feature update :)
  • Allow "hourly" option for warnings, warning definitions, and warning actions.
  • Better compute the effective expiry date of warning actions when using "at or above point threshold" based off warning expires.
  • Add option to control redirect after issuing a warning (to content or reported last referrer)
  • Improve installer robustness when XF1 legacy placeholder add-on is removed.

Read the rest of this update entry...

@Xon upgrading from v1 I ran into this error:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
  • Invalid class: SV\WarningImprovements\XF\Admin\Controller\Warning
  • Please enter a valid callback class.
It didn't leave a server error entry. There was something about a missing json entry in the initial upgrade process as well.

Top Bottom