VPS or Webhost?

ThomLS

Dear Users,
I got a question what do you suggest?
Using a VPS or getting a webhost, and where do you prefer for getting a webhost?

I use shared hosting from xFHost they have been great for me so far. They are more expensive than other hosts but in my experience with hosting you get what you pay for. I highly recommend them.

Dear Users,
I got a question what do you suggest?
Using a VPS or getting a webhost, and where do you prefer for getting a webhost?
I ended up going with an unmanaged VPS - and really like it. I can control all features of what runs/how it runs and only use SSH for management. Of course, you do need to be familiar with Linux and all it's associated security requirements. I'm hosted with RamNode (good price and support).

Reactions: rdn
The thing is....if you are just starting out and have a small community there is no reason to go VPS until you have a fairly good sized community unless you are one of those people that like to have total control over everything. Me personally my host has everything I could have wanted Percona SQL with the SQL being on SSD's, Litepseed webserver, hourly backups, Elasticsearch so I can use the xF enhanced search addon, memcache.....basically everything I would have installed or attempted to on a VPS. Plus I don't have the headache of making sure everything is working right.

The thing is....if you are just starting out and have a small community there is no reason to go VPS until you have a fairly good sized community unless you are one of those people that like to have total control over everything. Me personally my host has everything I could have wanted Percona SQL with the SQL being on SSD's, Litepseed webserver, hourly backups, Elasticsearch so I can use the xF enhanced search addon, memcache.....basically everything I would have installed or attempted to on a VPS. Plus I don't have the headache of making sure everything is working right.
But where's the challenge? :p
That's why I said "I can control all features of what runs/how it runs". I DO like having total control over the system. Less overhead, can choose what web server I want to use (I like nginx myself), what DB (Percona), etc. It's apples/oranges. I prefer to have total control (which is why I went with a KVM solution).

But where's the challenge? :p
That's why I said "I can control all features of what runs/how it runs". I DO like having total control over the system. Less overhead, can choose what web server I want to use (I like nginx myself), what DB (Percona), etc. It's apples/oranges. I prefer to have total control (which is why I went with a KVM solution).

*shoooo* :P

I have used phpwebhosting for 5-6 years now. Awesome hardware and only 24 bucks a month. Unmetered bandwidth and quick to support when issues arise.

If I had to say one negative thing it is this: Their control panel is a little jacked up but once your VPS is setup, you really don't need it.

Try it out for a month or so and if you don't like it then they will refund your cost. Also they are in the great state of Texas. :P

I have used phpwebhosting for 5-6 years now. Awesome hardware and only 24 bucks a month. Unmetered bandwidth and quick to support when issues arise.

If I had to say one negative thing it is this: Their control panel is a little jacked up but once your VPS is setup, you really don't need it.

Try it out for a month or so and if you don't like it then they will refund your cost. Also they are in the great state of Texas. :p

I hope their info page is out of date... they say they support PHP 5.2.x and 4.4.x (current is 5.4.15 on Debian) on their hosted sites, and Debian 5 on their VPS's.

that's default load. All you have to do is ask for a centOS 6.X 64 vps and they set it up. Moved over to digitalocean servers and had a chance to test 1800+ concurrent connections with no issues. As a military site the advancement results came out and my server was loaded up. Xenforo processed with NGINX flawlessly.

a "vps" is a "web host"...

search on webhostingtalk.com for a host if that's what you're after, read the reviews and take your time

I am playing around as well with it. Got Wordpress and xF installed. Running cPanel with varnish cache, Percona, and nginx. Running very smooth.

Top Bottom