Shared Webhosting - number of concurrent users, best providers, etc...

Alan_SP

Hi,

I have hobby based website, nothing big in terms of number of people, but you never know (I like to dream too). I was using VPS that was great actually, but my hosting company removed that line of VPS, and left me with more expansive and much slower "solution". So, I started to look for something new.

It seems that I could use shared webhosting, it might be a best solution for me.

Can you tell me how many concurrent users you can have on your shared hosting? What's the situation with MySQL, now that we will need v5.7 with XF2.3?

What are providers you recommend? And which ones to avoid?

At the moment I am looking at: Hostinger and Namecheap.

Please, share with me what is todays experience with shared hosting.

Glad you've had a good experience, but at this point NameCheap is almost as bad as GoDaddy, imo.

Hard to say without knowing the size of the site, traffic, etc., but I had no issues the time I was hosted by @MattW
I have very, very few people online, so I'm sure that one of my sites I'm sure to keep will be fine on shared.

On my other one, which I'm thinking of closing, as there's mostly no new posts and "live people", right now I have about 100-200 people online, with 30 minutes settings to count them as online.

I'd like to just get idea how many concurrent users shared hosts allow. At least approximation would be nice. Ionos mentions about 100 concurrent users per minute, but it has low count of inodes (I do get within it), and DBase size of up to 2GB. So, it looks like a lot of concurrent users.

If you already have experience with VPS - why no stick with it but different provider?
Mainly because they cost more money. And I didn't find any VPS that has similar price to VPS that I have used while I was satisfied with my hosting provider. :(

Mainly because they cost more money. And I didn't find any VPS that has similar price to VPS that I have used while I was satisfied with my hosting provider. :(
<shrug>
I pay around $16 USD a month for a 4vCPU/8GB/160GB VPS (Hetzner) that does all I need it to. Granted... it's not the $1.99 that some shared hosting providers offer as an introductory offer... but once that intro offer is over, it's not that much different.... basically a latte from the local coffee shop each monty.

Only one XenForo forum though, and it is still young, but so far so good.
With that disclaimer in mind, this is why I don't think VPS is always a good idea.
You don't think that overselling the product is even MORE prevalent with bulk shared hosting providers? Generally well known VPS providers don't tend to oversell their product... that tends to come back and bite them in the arse.

There is an old saying that still applies... Buy Cheap, Get Cheap.

I pay around $16 USD a month for a 4vCPU/8GB/160GB VPS (Hetzner) that does all I need it to. Granted... it's not the $1.99 that some shared hosting providers offer as an introductory offer... but once that intro offer is over, it's not that much different.... basically a latte from the local coffee shop each monty.
I also need control panel. Now I use Plesk. Some of them sell it for 15€, and right now I pay 10€ on top of it.

I do understand that there's much cheaper options without CP, but I still need it.

<shrug>

You don't think that overselling the product is even MORE prevalent with bulk shared hosting providers? Generally well known VPS providers don't tend to oversell their product... that tends to come back and bite them in the arse.

There is an old saying that still applies... Buy Cheap, Get Cheap.

You either didn't read, or didn't understand what I wrote.

Overselling is not a problem. It is a good and reasonable policy - up to a point.

actualy if there small community shared hosting are ok

if you got large one, more traffic dont use shared hosting

You either didn't read, or didn't understand what I wrote.

Overselling is not a problem. It is a good and reasonable policy - up to a point.
You apparently didn't read what I wrote... cheap(er) shared hosting (and even VPS providers) tend to oversell their product. I can give you name after name of major providers that do such, and are well known for it.

Generally well known VPS providers don't tend to oversell their product... that tends to come back and bite them in the arse.
I'd say pretty much every provider does overprovision, not doing so would be a waste of resources.

Of course it is possible to get dedicated resources, but that is usually much more expensive (like 30 $ for a dedicated 4 core CCX23 instance instead of 16 $ for your CPX31 @ Hetzner).

I'd say pretty much every provider does overprovision, not doing so would be a waste of resources.

Of course it is possible to get dedicated resources, but that is usually much more expensive (like 30 $ for a dedicated 4 core CCX23 instance instead of 16 $ for your CPX31 @ Hetzner).
Yes... but there are always "extremes" of over-provisioning... a fact that I haven't had to face with the shared VPS from Hetzner. They are one that does not tend/trend to do that. Do you get more with dedicated resources... you bet your ass... but you also pay more for that.
That's where being a "smart shopper comes into play.
How many times have we seen folks whine in this very site about getting "throttled" by their providers, and having minimal traffic?
There are many providers that have had a long history of over-provisioning their services, and then pushing their clients into a higher paid tier.

Glad you've had a good experience, but at this point NameCheap is almost as bad as GoDaddy, imo.
If you're comfortable with running your own server, get a droplet, install Centminmod, and go to town.

FWIW, if you start with AWS instead, you can pretty much get hosting free for a year with their Free Tier.
Disclosure: I'm an independent AWS consultant. :p

Oh, so there's a financial interest in holding said position.

I doubt he needs my help to set up a Lightsail instance.
Perhaps, though when critiquing a given service, your credibility is either helped or harmed but such disclosure, or lack thereof. No further argument here, the world knows what it needs to know.

Top Bottom