Votes: 20 29.9%
  • YouTube

Votes: 47 70.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
Back when we started recording our Have You Seen...? videos, there was a clear quality difference between Vimeo and YouTube, resulting in us opting for Vimeo to host the movies.

However, things have moved on since then, and now the choice is not so obvious.

So, here are Vimeo and YouTube versions of the same movie. Watch them at full screen, and decide which you prefer.

Vimeo:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

YouTube:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

YT is much clearer but it takes a long time to fully render for some reason.

Clarity and sharpness on 2560x1440 full screen is superb.

YouTube last time I tested was only giving 6 Mbps average for 1080P in H.264. While great for the average internet connection its pretty poor quality for certain types of video. They have likely made some changes along with the fact they encode into at least 2 formats (not including mobile) which effects users depending upon platform/browser.

Out of the sample the YT video looks good.

The Quality at YT is much better, and the controls work. On my Chrome I have problems with setting the volume from Vimeo.

So, clearly: YouTube

YouTube forces an advertisement first if you go to YouTube. com while vimeo.com doesn't. for mobile viewing this is a significant downside to YouTube.
it's easier to get the video in full screen on the video site than on xenforo.com

I noticed that on Vimeo the resolution of that specific video is 720p, they downscale it.
@Kier you have a PLUS account, so take a look here, set to 1080p and reupload it so we can view it at 1080p like the YT one.

I'd be leaning towards Vimeo, just because the colours there fit with the XF theme :P

However, I use YT most of the time and wouldn't mind being alerted about a new video through there since I check it more than here.

On my iPad the YouTube is low resolution by default. I suggest you continue to use Vimeo.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Both look the same to me, so I prefer YT because my browsers work better with it. Vimeo has always been quirky. But the objections to YT above are valid.

Basically, it probably doesn't really matter :)

From a potential marketing standpoint, it might make sense to do both. That way if anyone just so happens to be searching for XenForo videos they might have a better shot at finding them at their preferred video site.

YT is much clearer but it takes a long time to fully render for some reason.

Clarity and sharpness on 2560x1440 full screen is superb.

Are you talking about the amount of time it takes for a video to change to HD when you go full screen or manually change it?

In any case, I voted YouTube.

I voted YouTube too, but only because there was a "no preference" option and I use YT more often than Vimeo. But, if I'm honest, I prefer text-based HYS over video ones because it's generally too noisy in my house to listen to them. I much prefer to read and look at screenshots.

Top Bottom