Which Video Host for HYS?

• Vimeo

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • YouTube

Votes: 47 70.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who said they were hostages?

Anyway.. back to youtube vs vimeo.. I don't want to be the one to take the thread offtopic.

Toooooo late, ship sailed.

I voted YouTube too, but only because there was a "no preference" option and I use YT more often than Vimeo. But, if I'm honest, I prefer text-based HYS over video ones because it's generally too noisy in my house to listen to them. I much prefer to read and look at screenshots.

I honestly prefer the text based ones as well. The videos do lead to spoilers though...

I went with youtube, even though it doesn't really matter, they both do fine.

Who said they were hostages?

Anyway.. back to youtube vs vimeo.. I don't want to be the one to take the thread offtopic.

Agreed.

Both have excellent and sharp quality these days, so I think it just comes down to users' preferences.

I thought you might have been recording these videos in lower quality but after seeing the YouTube video it's clearly not the case.

Vimeo seems to be compressing videos more which is impacting the quality. It used to be the other way around (and it still is for the most part) but 1440p on YT looks and sounds great due to the increase in bit rate.

Weird, I've tried twice today to watch the YT version at 1440 and it just wont do it. It stays quite pixelated, is there a way to force 1440?

Weird, I've tried twice today to watch the YT version at 1440 and it just wont do it. It stays quite pixelated, is there a way to force 1440?

I didn't have this problem. Once you select the 1440 rate you have to just wait a few seconds for YT to adjust the streaming. Then you can slide back to the beginning and it will come through at 1440 from the start.

I watch both of these and I would now agree that YT at 1400 is much clearer than Vimeo.

Yeah, usually that works. But even after waiting over 30 seconds into the video it still hadn't kicked in. Not much good if you need to read text on screen in the first few seconds of a video. It's strange, on a 50MB connection too, probably just me.

Yeah, usually that works. But even after waiting over 30 seconds into the video it still hadn't kicked in. Not much good if you need to read text on screen in the first few seconds of a video. It's strange, on a 50MB connection too, probably just me.

Did you try manually switching it to 1440p?

Quality is far better on Vimeo than YT cuz YT re-render your video. I use YT with my team and I can tell you that everyone saying that YT is best are wrong ^^

Quality is far better on Vimeo than YT cuz YT re-render your video. I use YT with my team and I can tell you that everyone saying that YT is best are wrong ^^

http://vimeo.com/help/compression

All video based sites ( worth mentioning including youtube and vimeo) that allow user uploads re encode all videos uploaded.

There are so many reasons to say but they are way outside of the scope of this thread but one simple reason is that not all video formats are suitable for the web in fact there are way more formats that play locally that can't be used embedded in a webpage and thus have to be run through at least a single pass at ffmpeg or whatever in order for you to view it at x site.

Top Bottom