1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vimeo or YouTube for Have You Seen...?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Kier, Jul 23, 2014.

?

Which Video Host for HYS?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2014.
  1. Vimeo

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. YouTube

47 vote(s)
    70.1%
  1. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Back when we started recording our Have You Seen...? videos, there was a clear quality difference between Vimeo and YouTube, resulting in us opting for Vimeo to host the movies.

However, things have moved on since then, and now the choice is not so obvious.

So, here are Vimeo and YouTube versions of the same movie. Watch them at full screen, and decide which you prefer.

Vimeo:

YouTube:

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

YT is much clearer but it takes a long time to fully render for some reason.

Clarity and sharpness on 2560x1440 full screen is superb.

3. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Vimeo also has some weirdness in full screen (pause the movie, go full screen and click the play button) where it doesn't resume.

Id say YT.

lazy llama and Chris D like this.
  4. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

YouTube last time I tested was only giving 6 Mbps average for 1080P in H.264. While great for the average internet connection its pretty poor quality for certain types of video. They have likely made some changes along with the fact they encode into at least 2 formats (not including mobile) which effects users depending upon platform/browser.

Out of the sample the YT video looks good.

5. Hoffi

Hoffi Well-Known Member

The Quality at YT is much better, and the controls work. On my Chrome I have problems with setting the volume from Vimeo.

So, clearly: YouTube

Chris D likes this.
  6. Gazhyde

Gazhyde Well-Known Member

I'll go with YT, as Vimeo isn't playing nicely today :cautious: Ctrl+F5 sorted it eventually though!

upload_2014-7-23_10-5-21.png

Connor Smith likes this.
  7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

YouTube forces an advertisement first if you go to YouTube. com while vimeo.com doesn't. for mobile viewing this is a significant downside to YouTube.
    it's easier to get the video in full screen on the video site than on xenforo.com

ForestForTrees likes this.
  8. ibnesayeed

ibnesayeed Well-Known Member

I am not sure how many visitors are from Pakistan, but YouTube is blocked there, so I would suggest to host videos on both places.

whynot and rainmotorsports like this.
  9. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Does it cost anything to upload the videos to both places?
    So why not do it if it's free?

10. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

As i see, Xenforo own a paid account on Vimeo.

Personally, i prefer YouTube.

11. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

I noticed that on Vimeo the resolution of that specific video is 720p, they downscale it.
    @Kier you have a PLUS account, so take a look here, set to 1080p and reupload it so we can view it at 1080p like the YT one.

12. ZeWildGuy

ZeWildGuy Member

I'd be leaning towards Vimeo, just because the colours there fit with the XF theme :p

However, I use YT most of the time and wouldn't mind being alerted about a new video through there since I check it more than here.

13. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

On my iPad the YouTube is low resolution by default. I suggest you continue to use Vimeo.

14. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Both look the same to me, so I prefer YT because my browsers work better with it. Vimeo has always been quirky. But the objections to YT above are valid.

Basically, it probably doesn't really matter :)

15. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards RedTube.

:cautious:

:whistle:

I mean, YouTube.

Sasa, Claudio, Hoffi and 3 others like this.
  16. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

Disregarding the quality (where YT is clearly better), youtube might also help from an advertising perspective

ForestForTrees likes this.
  17. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

From a potential marketing standpoint, it might make sense to do both. That way if anyone just so happens to be searching for XenForo videos they might have a better shot at finding them at their preferred video site.

DeltaHF, Kintaro, Veer and 2 others like this.
  18. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the amount of time it takes for a video to change to HD when you go full screen or manually change it?

In any case, I voted YouTube.

19. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I voted YouTube too, but only because there was a "no preference" option and I use YT more often than Vimeo. But, if I'm honest, I prefer text-based HYS over video ones because it's generally too noisy in my house to listen to them. I much prefer to read and look at screenshots.

BassMan, Tracy Perry and Daniel Hood like this.
  20. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Is it the kids? :D