XF 2.0 Very high spam rates at forum

kaloksi

Despite having setup to prevent spam in admin (version V2.0.9) we keep being bombarded specially from cuvox email registrations. Below current setup.

GPgpgIY.png

ZtpBfh5.png

UlFOjC8.png

rIjK43k.png

aLCKHrc.png

3S6sAA1.png

Please help.

What is your forum about? The best solution I have found is the Questions and Answers captcha. But it only works if you have a forum which is specific to a topic.

Yes, we are already doing that after your suggestion but still some spam passing through.
You will always get some spam as not all of it is automated. There is a noticeable amount that is actually a human on the other end and thanks to Google you will never defeat them with a Q&A process. There will have to be other programatic processes in place that use IP, username and email, TOR/proxy use and a few other functions in conjunction - and even then you won't stop all of it.

Also add keywords to check for. Since spammers usually advertise some site, you can manually approve the first X posts made when there's a link in them, to do so add this to your Spam phrases list:
[url*
Sorry, I know this is from a long time ago - but I'm having this problem now and need to put a link-blocking mechanism in place for new members. It's my understanding that this would ban the posting of any links by a new member for the first X number of posts - whatever you set X to. But what if you'd like to also ban the posting of links for a certain number of days in addition to a number of posts?

I'd like to make spammers have to wait several days before being able to post links - in addition to forcing them to post a certain number of linkless posts. But I don't want to make it too tough because I don't want to annoy legitimate members. If I make the number of posts too high, real users will get frustrated and may leave. But if I make it too low it will be no problem for a spammer to get around. But if you could add a number of days to it, then it would deter most of the spammers and not annoy real users too much.

Sorry, I know this is from a long time ago - but I'm having this problem now and need to put a link-blocking mechanism in place for new members. It's my understanding that this would ban the posting of any links by a new member for the first X number of posts - whatever you set X to. But what if you'd like to also ban the posting of links for a certain number of days in addition to a number of posts?

I'd like to make spammers have to wait several days before being able to post links - in addition to forcing them to post a certain number of linkless posts. But I don't want to make it too tough because I don't want to annoy legitimate members. If I make the number of posts too high, real users will get frustrated and may leave. But if I make it too low it will be no problem for a spammer to get around. But if you could add a number of days to it, then it would deter most of the spammers and not annoy real users too much.
You could do something like this with promotions.
After x days you put new members into another group.

In that case you should be able to use Questions and Answers very effectively.

Q: Which country is known for manufacturing the most expensive watches?
A: Switzerland
Can this be enabled together with recaptcha or similar? That would make it much more powerful?

Last edited:
Top Bottom