vBulletin & XenForo Unification

Hello,

Not Good For My English With Google Translate'm Summer. Did You Drop It I Do Not Know About A Subject. Topics In Turkish, vBulletin 4.1.x Version is Said To Be The XenForo. We Are Puzzled That Those Who Wait. What is This Truth To Rumors ?

I think it's natural to compare the two. vBulletin is at the top of the pack and as a 3.8 owner, I either have to pay to get vBulletin 4 or to get something new. It's in my best interests to compare both and pick the best.

Even just a few differences between the two could make the upgrade worth it, so everything has to be compared. I'm also comparing this to Facebook, as this is definitely more social and addictive than a plain ol' forum.

It's even got me interested in social stuff and I don't even like people. :D

Exactly. One of the reasons why I like XenForo very much is it's bloat-free UI (and hopefully also its backend). But let's be fair... a CMS/Blog/Gallery is something there IS a very high demand for, not only from people who use vBulletin or Invision. Having said that, I am using the excellent vB3.8 and I do need Blogs and User Albums/Galleries back. It is not that I want every single feature from vBulletin into XenForo. But the things that we simply need I will request.

I gotta make a list, but I think all I'm missing is albums. Everything else I need seems to be here. Definitely agree though, slimline is way better than bloat - all that extra crap can be added with modules/addons/plugins and be totally optional.

I think it's natural to compare the two. vBulletin is at the top of the pack and as a 3.8 owner, I either have to pay to get vBulletin 4 or to get something new. It's in my best interests to compare both and pick the best.

Even just a few differences between the two could make the upgrade worth it, so everything has to be compared. I'm also comparing this to Facebook, as this is definitely more social and addictive than a plain ol' forum.

It's even got me interested in social stuff and I don't even like people. :D

I gotta make a list, but I think all I'm missing is albums. Everything else I need seems to be here. Definitely agree though, slimline is way better than bloat - all that extra crap can be added with modules/addons/plugins and be totally optional.
You can't say whether IPB or vB is the top of the pack; it would be a biased opinion.

I don't need most of the features that most forum systems offer (Don't even need all the ones here!), but there are some things I want, which I'll be glad to have as modifications on my forum.

:cool: many vBulletin users are actually against adding the majority of bloat from vBulletin to XenForo.

Often enough however, some things are used as an example, because they are a good and -attractive- idea feature.

A lot of what people are requesting is either pointless to the majority, or is cosmetic or an 'ooo feature', where its just there to be an addition to the bells and whistles.

I'm actually really interested in what the third parties bring to the table eventually. I think we'll see a bunch of add ons that people liked from their former products allowing for a mix and match approach. Am pretty sure a couple of the Invision features I use on a day to day basis would be liked as add ons for example :)

Actually must find out if there are custom profile fields worked into the product as that is down right useful.

I agree, xenForo is already a star. Many here are just waiting for the release of XF to rid themselves of the bad taste in their mouth that vB left.

Yes these statements are confusing to some Im sure but the statement is facutal IMO. :rolleyes:

Agree with Qwk,

Maybe the timing for your unique commerical xenforo LOGO;
this greatly help making people think of not similarities or un-related.;)

LOL me too... no way in the world would I have said vB is at the top of the pack.. frankly it is that dogey old fella lagging 15 kilometres behind, who is staggering and wheezing, just bearly alive and you are holding your breath hoping he won't, but pretty sure at any moment he will collapse in a heap!

--- personal opinion of course :p

LOL me too... no way in the world would I have said vB is at the top of the pack.. frankly it is that dogey old fella lagging 15 kilometres behind, who is staggering and wheezing, just bearly alive and you are holding your breath hoping he won't, but pretty sure at any moment he will collapse in a heap!

--- personal opinion of course :p
vB is more like the creepy old man in a brown van giving out free candy.

/opinion.

snortle hehehe
giggle.gif

Ummmm, can I use that line?
Well it's trademark and copyrighted. You'll have to sign a 1-year contract with me and pay a small fee for personal and private use. However if you intend to use it commercially, or on a public forum, blog, wiki, or any variation thereof -- then a more significant fee based on a 'per view' program would have to be negotiated. ;)

Yes, you can. Go ahead. Freedom of speech and all that. Damn pirates. :D

It makes way more sense to me to keep it streamlined and let the modding community cater to the whims of various forum owners. Even if everyone has just one "must have" feature - if they're all different, it's still 200 "must have" bloaty features. And you can see just how well the Swiss Knife approach worked for vB 4.0.

It makes way more sense to me to keep it streamlined and let the modding community cater to the whims of various forum owners. Even if everyone has just one "must have" feature - if they're all different, it's still 200 "must have" bloaty features. And you can see just how well the Swiss Knife approach worked for vB 4.0.
Well vB 4.0 screwed it up. If XenForo is going to be competitive to vB and IP.Board, then it needs to be feature rich. Especially if it's going to be 'competitively priced'.

Well vB 4.0 screwed it up. If XenForo is going to be competitive to vB and IP.Board, then it needs to be feature rich. Especially if it's going to be 'competitively priced'.
There is feature rich, and there is bloat.

Many of the suggestions, including some of mine, are bloat. Feature richness are things that most people will use, not what only a small percentage will need (Podcasting being a perfect example).

People really need to stop bashing IPB or vB however. I know I don't use IPB for my own reasons, and I tend to be strongly opinionated, but outright bashing a solution is getting tiring.

IB might have screwed vB4, but vB3 was and still is a great solution, for what it was. There are flaws to every system, even XenForo (Sorry Kier :(), but they'll all meet someones needs, and its pretty disrespectful to continually bash it.

People really need to stop bashing IPB or vB however. I know I don't use IPB for my own reasons, and I tend to be strongly opinionated, but outright bashing a solution is getting tiring.

IB might have screwed vB4, but vB3 was and still is a great solution, for what it was. There are flaws to every system, even XenForo (Sorry Kier :(), but they'll all meet someones needs, and its pretty disrespectful to continually bash it.

I don't think anyone was really being disrespectful, more reacting to the poster who claimed that vB was top of the pack :p it clearly isn't - even their CEO yesterday came out and said as much ;)

Just a bit of fun :)

It is perfectly reasonable to compare forum software and to talk about competitiveness. Some are aware of the historical links. These links are exactly that, historical.

XenForo has been designed and developed, soundly, from the ground up, with the user and owner/admin in mind, to create what can currently be seen at XenForo.com! It cannot be said (here) what path any other forum software should or should not have followed and I do not think XenForo can be viewed as competitive with well established forum softwares, currently. (It could be argued otherwise ;))

XenForo has been created with care, thought, passion, a little bit of magic and we believe that there are many forum owners, admins, newbie owner/admins and users, who would love to use XenForo. XenForo has a long (big) future ahead :) We look forward to many forums, new and old, using XenForo and that more and more will understand why anyone would choose XenForo :)

Top Bottom