vBulletin vs xenForo

Carlos

So, I was having a discussion at vbulletin.com over ACP loading times, they all say they haven't seen this problem - I and another person is in the minority. So, I've decided to create a video showing them exactly this.

The first time, I was working on stylevars, and the minute I realize its been loading slow, I got my camera, and recorded this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So, I posted at vbulletn, Wayne responded with a reply saying that he doesn't get this problem even on windows. Hey, I use a lot of the programs that support WXP, so sue me. He goes on to say that maybe its the server causing the loading problems. I say to myself; "Really? Okay, comparison time."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sooo, discussion time. Go.

It's known for a long time that vBulletin 4 is slow. And they already speeded it up :S

Also, it's not your server matey... Maybe steve has something agains Windows? ^^

It's to do with the saving of stylevars into css files, there are too many of them.

If you choose to store css inline the problem goes away.

That's not a fix, it's a workaround. I agree it's not very good. It is the only speed issue I have had with my vB4 testing though, so I think they may have nailed many of the speed issues previously prevalant.

Why are we talking about vBulletin on here though? XenForo certainly doesn't have these issues, I doubt anyone will dispute me on that.

Because I felt alone in the License Feedback forum over there. Everyone is speaking too good about vbulletin. Maybe this will wake them up.

Because I felt alone in the License Feedback forum over there. Everyone is speaking too good about vbulletin. Maybe this will wake them up.
What were you possibly expecting? People on the vB board will say that vB is better, has no issues, etc. People will say that about IPB on IPS's board and I imagine most people here will speak more positive than negative about XenForo.

Obviously you must pick and choose the replies you read then. I pointed out that the save css as files option may be the cause this, and others confirmed the issue.

Carlos, also if the issue is only at the CP level it's not a biggie I guess.
We'll worry more about the public forum :)

I think you'll find that the difference you're seeing there is that XF loads an entire group into client-side memory, so you are switching between properties instantly with Javascript, while vB appears to have to visit the server each time you load a new stylevar.

Not a completely fair comparison since it's two very different approaches, but I think most will agree that XF approach has an advantage at this point by the way it works. Of course you have to remember that the style properties in XF are not complete yet, loading times for opening a group might increase as more properties are added over time. I'm not sure to what degree this will affect the loading time relative to other software. Looking at the video of the vB 4 ACP I doubt it will ever load that long though.

What were you possibly expecting? People on the vB board will say that vB is better, has no issues, etc. People will say that about IPB on IPS's board and I imagine most people here will speak more positive than negative about XenForo.
I didn't expect anything, its just that. They need to be more critical about the product. Its like, nobody gives a $#!^ there.

Whereas, I see different views, and ideas HERE. I see all kinds of responses, negative, positive, critical, and whatnot. But vBulletin? Its either troll, or good feedback, or GTFO.

I think you'll find that the difference you're seeing there is that XF loads an entire group into client-side memory, so you are switching between properties instantly with Javascript, while vB appears to have to visit the server each time you load a new stylevar.
You must be mistaken Kier... XF is a copyright of VB remember... "sarcasm" :D

I didn't expect anything, its just that. They need to be more critical about the product. Its like, nobody gives a $#!^ there.

Whereas, I see different views, and ideas HERE. I see all kinds of responses, negative, positive, critical, and whatnot. But vBulletin? Its either troll, or good feedback, or GTFO.
You're never going to find unbiased discussion about vB on the vB board. The same goes for all the other major board software. Go to a place like The Admin Zone or something where people are far more honest about issues they've had with various board software.

I don't think there's much for discussion here. I don't think you'll find many people claiming that vB4's styling system is superior to XenForo's. XenForo's is actually a delight to use.

In one of the browsers I use, I have seen the same behavior when you type in words in the StyleVar search field. The browser tries to make a new search for every character or backspace you enter. It's useless - but only in that browser.

You're never going to find unbiased discussion about vB on the vB board. The same goes for all the other major board software. Go to a place like The Admin Zone or something where people are far more honest about issues they've had with various board software.
I certainly hope we could try to be unbiased. I own vb/ips products, in addition to xf.

I don't think there's much for discussion here. I don't think you'll find many people claiming that vB4's styling system is superior to XenForo's. XenForo's is actually a delight to use.
How could ANYONE claiim vB4's styling system is "superior" to anything? That's just wrong!

Top Bottom