vBulletin to XenForo : Few important questions...

Surendra.S

Hi All,
I am looking to convert my vBulletin (3.8.10) forum to XenForo.
Before buying, I have few questions. Please help.

1) I think there is Installation service by XenForo for 50$. Does it also cover the Data Import from my current vBulletin software to XenForo ?

2) I have my vBulletin installation in /forums subfolder. Can I install XenForo in same folder without any clash, and then import vBulletin data to XenForo ?

3) Is XenForo Mobile responsive by default theme ?

4) Can the structure of SEO URLs in XenForo be configured/changed if required ?

5) Does XenForo generate XML SiteMaps ?

6) Will I be able to customize the number of items shown in RSS feed (lets say, I want to show latest 50 items) ?

7) I have few Custom Fields in Member Registration Form ? (for eg, a Custom Question: Why do you want to join our forum ?). So those custom fields will also be imported from vBulletin to XenForo ?

Thank You !

Hi All,
I am looking to convert my vBulletin (3.8.10) forum to XenForo.
Before buying, I have few questions. Please help.

1) I think there is Installation service by XenForo for 50$. Does it also cover the Data Import from my current vBulletin software to XenForo ?
Nope.

2) I have my vBulletin installation in /forums subfolder. Can I install XenForo in same folder without any clash, and then import vBulletin data to XenForo ?
You could , but I wouldnt. Install in fresh directory , do the import , cut over and move the folders , call the folder that the Vbulletin lived in /ForumVB , and rename the Xenforo one. Updating relevant options , of course.

3) Is XenForo Mobile responsive by default theme ?

4) Can the structure of SEO URLs in XenForo be configured/changed if required ?
To an extent , what are you thinking ?

5) Does XenForo generate XML SiteMaps ?
Yes

6) Will I be able to customize the number of items shown in RSS feed (lets say, I want to show latest 50 items) ?
Unsure TBH

7) I have few Custom Fields in Member Registration Form ? (for eg, a Custom Question: Why do you want to join our forum ?). So those custom fields will also be imported from vBulletin to XenForo ?

Thank You !

Not tried that . Cant see why not though.

Is XenForo Mobile responsive by default theme ?
Yes

It uses the "Discussions Per Page" setting, the same setting as the thread list. So if you set it to 50, the forum view (and some other places) will also list 50 threads.

Yes, these will be imported.

It uses the "Discussions Per Page" setting, the same setting as the thread list. So if you set it to 50, the forum view (and some other places) will also list 50 threads.

For my requirement, I need the RSS items to be 100 and Discussions Per Page as default (I think 20).

I am willing to alter source code a bit if required.

Will someone be able to assist me on this once I buy the licenses ?

That's possible with the "Route Filters" function in the Admin CP.

For my requirement, I need the RSS items to be 100 and Discussions Per Page as default (I think 20).

I am willing to alter source code a bit if required.

Will someone be able to assist me on this once I buy the licenses ?
We don't provide official support for such customisations (nor do we recommend source code edits) but if you post your query in the XenForo Development Discussions forum when you have a license, I'm sure you'll get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks a lot andybond and Chris D.

That looks super positive for me, as I have multiple websites that need to be converted.

Sorry for toomany questions.

8) Custom fields will be shown during Bulk Email sending ? (During member registration, I have asked the members to select their location (Custom Field). And while sending bulk emails, I want to send emails to only those with a particular location.)

9) Is there a PORTAL home page that comes with this XenForo forum ? (I have my forum in /forums subfolder. And in root folder I want to place a Portal page (index.php) with display of latest forum posts etc). Similar to what xenforo.com did here ! Is that possible ? or do I need any extra add-ons or plugins for that ?

10) Here is my plan :
My current vBulletin installation is in /forums subfolder.
I will install XenForo in /community subfolder
Import all vBulletin data to Xenforo.
Check if everything running smoothly with XenForo.
If all ok, then use redirect rules to redirect all URLs of /forums (vBulletin) to /community (XenForo).

Does my plan sound alright ? (or) am I missing anything important ?

11) Please direct me to redirect rules resource (so that all old vBulletin links can be redirected to new XenForo links) and the best way to do it ?

8) Custom fields will be shown during Bulk Email sending ? (During member registration, I have asked the members to select their location (Custom Field). And while sending bulk emails, I want to send emails to only those with a particular location.)
Yes, that is possible.

9) Is there a PORTAL home page that comes with this XenForo forum ? (I have my forum in /forums subfolder. And in root folder I want to place a Portal page (index.php) with display of latest forum posts etc). Similar to what xenforo.com did here ! Is that possible ? or do I need any extra add-ons or plugins for that ?
This does require an add-on. There are various portal add-ons available though. Some are paid, others are free. Some display featured threads, or threads from a specific forum, others have full widget systems allowing you to show various widgets in various configurations.

10) Here is my plan :
My current vBulletin installation is in /forums subfolder.
I will install XenForo in /community subfolder
Import all vBulletin data to Xenforo.
Check if everything running smoothly with XenForo.
If all ok, then use redirect rules to redirect all URLs of /forums (vBulletin) to /community (XenForo).
Sounds ok, though the redirection rules might not be needed... (see below)

11) Please direct me to redirect rules resource (so that all old vBulletin links can be redirected to new XenForo links) and the best way to do it ?
This might help:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/redirection-scripts-for-vbulletin-3-x.264/

Though this assumes that you use the default vBulletin URL structure which based on your earlier message, you may not be. If you're using something like vBSEO then that might require more manual work, but it should be possible. You will almost definitely find the exact redirection rules on the forum somewhere if the above scripts aren't useful to you.

Though this assumes that you use the default vBulletin URL structure which based on your earlier message, you may not be. If you're using something like vBSEO then that might require more manual work, but it should be possible. You will almost definitely find the exact redirection rules on the forum somewhere if the above scripts aren't useful to you.

Not using any add-ons at all.

And vB 3.8 does not have SEO URLs (thats one of my reasons to move on to XenForo).

The current structure of URL is like below:

Forum Section URL:
http://www.example.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Forum Thread URL:
http://www.example.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1834

So, when I upgrade to XenForo, these non-friendly URLs will be converted to SEO URLs. Right ?

Last edited:
Aha, then it means you will be fine to use these redirection scripts:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/redirection-scripts-for-vbulletin-3-x.264/

I assumed because you mentioned changing the XF URL structure earlier that maybe it was to match your vB structure (I think the format you suggested is similar to some vBSEO configs).

But, yes, upgrade to XF, and use the redirection scripts and they will convert the non friendly URLs to friendly URLs. By default our URLs contain index.php, e.g:
http://www.example.com/forums/index.php?threads/title.1834

But an option in the Admin CP will remove the index.php bit:
http://www.example.com/forums/threads/title.1834

Top Bottom