Resource icon

vBulletin 5 to Xenforo Importer 1.1.414.1

No permission to download
It's another positive step Necrophyte, but there appears to be the same issue with posts displaying within threads...every single post of a thread is displaying on page one. The thread correctly lists links to how many pages there SHOULD be, but every subsequent page after 1 is blank. When you have over a thousand posts in a thread, that's pretty unwieldy. I've run the cache-rebuilding process several times and thankfully am not running into the 'tag' errors any more, but haven't figured out a way to correct this.

By the way, I'm attaching a clean copy of your file that has the remaining URL errors in it corrected, you might use that going forward if you make more changes. Because I'm tired of fixing them on new revisions. :)

Attachments

Yes the posts all in one screen is normal until you run the threads cache tool,
Tools -> Rebuild Cache
Rebuild thread information. Make sure you click [ ] Rebuild position and post counters
This takes a while to do. But it will fix that issue.
After that all the posts are/will be in the proper pages.

PS: I'll update with your fixes.

D'oh, my bad...rookie mistake, I'm brand new to XF. So far so good, I'll round up some folks to stress test it and see if we can break anything.

Remember you will also need to rebuild the forum permissions. vBulletin has a lot of permissions that Xenforo doesn't and Xenforo has some that vBulletin doesn't and I didn't want to make assumptions on how they should be treated.
This way people can learn the new Xenforo style permissions instead of wondering why they had access and now they don't.
I really recommend reading this post https://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/
It will help you when your setting up the permissions.
The Inherit Allow acts different than vBulletin's Inherit Allow

Remember you will also need to rebuild the forum permissions. vBulletin has a lot of permissions that Xenforo doesn't and Xenforo has some that vBulletin doesn't and I didn't want to make assumptions on how they should be treated.
This way people can learn the new Xenforo style permissions instead of wondering why they had access and now they don't.
I really recommend reading this post https://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/
It will help you when your setting up the permissions.
The Inherit Allow acts different than vBulletin's Inherit Allow

Thanks again, I'll read up on that. I'm going to work out the kinks on my development site before taking a crack at the full change-over.

@Necrophyte, so far the only serious issue I've encountered is that user stats and info don't seem to be carrying over. In particular, join date and post count, which are pretty important. Is that something that can be addressed in the import?

I have an issue with some imported topics, large topics that have a lot of replies are all displayed on the first page.

So let's say topic has 12 pages, you see the page numbers 1 - 12 you can click on but all the replies are under page 1, page 2 - 12 are empty.
When you reply to the topic the reply lands on page 12.

Any idea how to fix this?

Much appreciated!

I have an issue with some imported topics, large topics that have a lot of replies are all displayed on the first page.

So let's say topic has 12 pages, you see the page numbers 1 - 12 you can click on but all the replies are under page 1, page 2 - 12 are empty.
When you reply to the topic the reply lands on page 12.

Any idea how to fix this?

Much appreciated!

I had the same issue, but he answered it a few posts above. When you're rebuilding cache, under the section "Rebuild Thread Information", there's a check box that says "Rebuild position and post counters". Make sure that one is checked when you're going through rebuilding caches.

You might check a few users once you're done and see if their post count and join date came over, Martijn. That's the issue I'm seeing at the moment.

I had the same issue, but he answered it a few posts above. When you're rebuilding cache, under the section "Rebuild Thread Information", there's a check box that says "Rebuild position and post counters". Make sure that one is checked when you're going through rebuilding caches.

You might check a few users once you're done and see if their post count and join date came over, Martijn. That's the issue I'm seeing at the moment.

Awesome that did it! However, and this was weird. I first closed the forum, ran a backup then ran the tool. It gave a bunch of PHP errors and left my database unusable. Next thing I restored my backup, dumped it to another database name (xenforo_test) and ran the tool again on that database to update the post counters and it was successful. Exported the db and imported it again in the live site and now it's fine. Weird but ok it did the job!

Awesome that did it! However, and this was weird. I first closed the forum, ran a backup then ran the tool. It gave a bunch of PHP errors and left my database unusable. Next thing I restored my backup, dumped it to another database name (xenforo_test) and ran the tool again on that database to update the post counters and it was successful. Exported the db and imported it again in the live site and now it's fine. Weird but ok it did the job!

Good to hear. Did your post counts and join dates import correctly?

Good to hear. Did your post counts and join dates import correctly?

Post counts were all gone as well as join dates they are set to the import date. Also some users couldn't be imported, I first believed it was only users with special characters but I got random users with normal a-z names as well that need to re-register. No big deal though Xenforo is so much better than VB5 it's all worth it to get away from that horrific software. People truly love the forums now and hated it before so I'm very happy :)

Hey guys, sorry I was out of the country. Is everything good now?
I'm glad to here its working good for you guys.
I recommend getting Xenporta 2 if you liked the CMS section of VB5. Its similar, but much easier to use once you wrap your head around it.

I ended up having to pay for a two-stage import via IPB, Necrophyte. Your method is fine for someone with a newer board and not a lot of stats and such, but for me with nearly a 20-year-old board, my users would've mutinied if I couldn't bring over things like their stats.

I enjoyed working with you on this, and hope that I was of assistance to you in testing and developing your importer.

Your time was definitely appreciated and I'm sorry it couldn't do what you needed.
If you can let me know the stats specifically. I can look into making sure the next version has those.
Post counts I know I can get for example. Not sure why I never put that in there.

If you can let me know the stats specifically. I can look into making sure the next version has those. Post counts I know I can get for example. Not sure why I never put that in there.

Join dates and post counts were two big ones. Also, avatars and a lot of attachments seemed to get messed up in your import process. Although it was necessary to take out the 'tag' bits in order to make the import run correctly, doing so seemed to mess up some of the rest of the import process. Possibly that's due to the size or age of my forums, not certain either way.

Top Bottom