Vbulletin 4.2.5

dantdubai

I have a large forum running vb4.2.5, php 5.6 (on vps) and want to change to xenforo.
If I purchase a license, do I download a copy of xenforo compatible with php 5.6 then upgrade to 7.4 ?
or is it a straight upgrade ? better yet, can you guys do the installation using the VB 4.2.5 database?
total cost? thank you

The PHP requirements are tricky to get around as presumably you will want to test the import before going live.

Spinning up a second VPS is an option and doing a test import on that into the latest XF version. You won’t need to account for your usual traffic, you will just need to make sure it has enough disk space to accommodate your database and files.

Then, when you’re ready to do the live import you can just upgrade to at least PHP 7.0 (or PHP 8.1 if possible) and import into the latest XF version.

We don’t provide an import service for self-hosted customers though there are service providers here who do.

Alternatively, we offer a fully managed cloud service where we take care of all of your hosting requirements and support. This starts at $60 / month depending on the number of page views and disk space usage.

We offer a managed import service which has a one-off fee starting at $120, depending on the size of the site being imported.

Feel free to contact us using the contact link at the bottom of this page if you want to discuss hosting requirements in more detail.

Good luck!

I have a large forum running vb4.2.5, php 5.6 (on vps) and want to change to xenforo.
If I purchase a license, do I download a copy of xenforo compatible with php 5.6 then upgrade to 7.4 ?
or is it a straight upgrade ? better yet, can you guys do the installation using the VB 4.2.5 database?
total cost? thank you
I went through mybb forum by myself. It was not a very large forum. There was a forum that I also passed through vbulletin. But the forums were small. You take a full backup and experiment. Mysql can give errors. You can also get help from an expert in this regard.

I can recommend two sites where you can get professional support. Contact the site's admins.

https://xenforo.gen.tr/
https://xentr.net/

Last edited:
We have multiple PHP set up. If you had that, you can create a sub domain with your test board, and do a test import. That's how I did it. We're using DA, but it also seems possible with CPanel: https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/multiple-php-versions.687257/

This also helps if you want to retain access to your old vBulletin board after the conversion. Just move it to a sub domain that only you or admins can access, set that sub domain to PHP 5.6, and change the primary domain to PHP 7.x or 8.x.

I also did the transfer from mybb to xenforo in cpanel. But I also made the transition of vbullet on the plesk panel. but since your forum is very large, I recommend that you contact the admins of those two xenforo support sites that I recommend.

Gentlemen,
I appreciate all inputs, yes Dragonfruit, your description is right on. The VPS has multiple PHP options , degrading it to 5.6 did the trick running vb4, and ChrisD: managed cloud won't be an option, at least for now, we're paid up/stuck for 3 years.

Moving forward:
we have free second domain name, and thinking to back up the current/live vb4 database, import it into new domain with php 7.4
then test it with XF fresh install over it.
Having said that, does it matter which version of XF to start with? My guess is that does not matter based on ChrisD's recommendation:
When you’re ready to do the live import you can just upgrade to at least PHP 7.0 (or PHP 8.1 if possible) and import into the latest XF version.

Note:
Our forum has RTL foreign language, with vb upgrade we ran into database collation/conversion as well as Isam vs utf-8 nightmare.
any database conversion tools needed or included with XF ?
All the best.

It’s better to start on the latest so you’re not repeating any work when you’re jumping versions.

Your host likely means it’s limited to two completely different domains but either have a different limit or none at all for sub domains.

It’s better to start on the latest so you’re not repeating any work when you’re jumping versions.
Good advise, thank you!

Your host likely means it’s limited to two completely different domains but either have a different limit or none at all for sub domains.
Yes sir , live site on (xxx.net) php 5.6, while XF will go fresh on a separate domain name (xxx.org) php 7.4 /same vps.

The idea is to keep live site folders, database, php version as is,
use the (xxx.org) with copied vb4 DB, then install the latest XF
makes sense?
Also what is your take on my previous note regarding RTL and database collation ? auto conversion? or via FX DB tools?

Thanks again for all your help, God bless!

Actually what I meant was; create: xenforotest.xxx.net
Once your testing is done, you can move the vbulletin board to vbulletin.xxx.net
And re-use the primary xxx.net for your new xenforo board.

This way, the link remains the same for users, that with the XF redirection script for vBulletin: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xenforo-redirects-for-vbulletin.6123/

Users with your links bookmarked and finding them on google will easily be redirected properly to where they're trying to get to. But it's up to you.

I figured you wouldn't have to spend money on an additional domain either this way.

Top Bottom