vBulletin 3.8 to XenForo?

CNK

Hello,

I have vB 3.8 board, but I search something better than vB4/5.

I have a few questions about XenForo.
Can I set a custom BB Code? Needs to manage the content of posts in vBulletin for some time uses its own custom BB code.

Another issue is the thumbnails in the list of topics, is there a addon that displays a thumbnail of the first image in the topic (like Thread Thumbnails 2.2.0 from vB)?

Is it possible to adjust the structure of links as in vBSEO?

I really liked the fact that the styles of http://xenfocus.com are RWD templates :)
I hope XenForo no major problems with Tapatalk.

Regards,
CNK

I have vB 3.8 board, but I search something better than vB4/5.
A 3.8 migration is going to be a breeze, it's pre-loaded in the software. :)
Can I set a custom BB Code? Needs to manage the content of posts in vBulletin for some time uses its own custom BB code.
Yep, and as a matter of fact, 1.3.0 has more features around this. :)
Another issue is the thumbnails in the list of topics, is there a addon that displays a thumbnail of the first image in the topic (like Thread Thumbnails 2.2.0 from vB)?
Another feature already in xenForo. In fact, every image is pretty much a thumbnail. Pretty much. Nothing to worry about.
Is it possible to adjust the structure of links as in vBSEO?
Not exactly like vBSEO, but SEO is definitely in the box. :D

Last edited:
Custom BB Code is included in 1.3 which is currently at RC 2 status.

I'm not familiar with any vB add-ons so can't help with the thread thumbnails question.
There may be similar add-ons available here: Resources

URLs can be manipulated somewhat using route filters.

Tapatalk is a third party add-on which does work with XenForo.
XenForo is responsive out of the box however.

At the moment I use:
but the most important addons for me is the Custom BBCode and settings to hide BBCode/links to specific groups ;)

I would like to stay with the structure of the links I use for many years. In the settings vBSEO looks like this:
Ut0L856.png

54xkJ7D.png

Is the change of vB to XenForo a good choice?

Yes. I also moved a forum of about 200K posts from vB3.8 & vBSEO over to Xenforo and it was the best upgrade ever, even back in the day of XenForo 1.0 which lacked a lot of bells and whistles. The migration is quite easy and the importer works well. It's also straightforward to remap the vBSEO urls to the new Xenforo ones so you won't lose any links.

There are lots of mods available now, it's easy to style and even for a beginner like me it's quite easy to "tweak" everything from the layout to adding some custom things via template edits. Lots of great help and knowledge here on the forum too, with a positive atmosphere unlike the "other place" which is mostly people moaning.

Inferno vBShout,
Chatbox is in the resources section.
Hide Links From Guests
This can be accomplished somewhat.
Hide BB Codes
Not sure.
Quick Selective Quoting
I think this is multi-quote, so I think it's in.
Post Thank You Hack
Replaced by "likes" on xenForo. However, there are plugins that extend this beyond just likes.
Similar thread check v2
Check resources. There are some of these plugins.
Sorky03 - SubForum List Control - V1.8.0
Again, resources. Can be done.
Yet Another Award System 4.0
Again, resources. Can be done. On stock xenForo, these are "trophies," but there are plugins that extend this via image inclusion and "control."
Forum Title Language
Not sure what this is...
Doublepost Prevention Plus
Cyb - Moderating Stats
I don't know what this does, sorry.
Custom Status Icons Per Forum
Can be done. Simple template change.
Ain - Advanced Google AdSense
Don't know what this does.
Ads On Category
Doublepost Prevention Plus
You posted this before, it can be done.
Just as with SEO being pre-loaded, this is pre-loaded since 1.2.
Enhanced Image Captcha
Somewhat included in stock xenForo.
but the most important addons for me is the Custom BBCode and settings to hide BBCode/links to specific groups ;)
Custom BBCode is in. But setting to "hide" BBCode/Links to specific group is an option that I think is not in yet.
I would like to stay with the structure of the links I use for many years. In the settings vBSEO looks like this:
I'm also a former vBSEO customer, I say this to you: You won't need that anymore. You won't even need a redirect. Especially if your site is on root.

I have one problem. When I opened my forum in 2005, Polish phpBB default encoding was ISO-8859-2. How to convert vBulletin to XenForo to at the same time change the encoding to UTF-8?

If you have messages with 2 different encodings within the database, that may be a problem -- some messages won't be converted correctly, but they wouldn't display correctly in your current software anyway. If all of your messages are ISO-8859-2 that shouldn't be an issue. We detect the current character set in use and convert it to UTF-8 as necessary.

Was your vBulletin encoded in ISO-8859-2? If not, then your convert will be fine. Since, you changed unicode when you moved from PHPBB to vB[x].

That is not fact. I'm just trying to help you understand what's going on.

I don't remember vB[x] being able to handle ISO's soo, pardon me.

Top Bottom