vb5 to xenForo?

I totally agree, I am one of them :D
It's got thousands of bugs, slow and is pretty much unusable, whereas XF is fast, modern, user friendly, clean, easy and simple :)

One of my favorite forums attempted to convert from vB3.8 to vB5. It's almost a month now and the forum is still not running. It's pretty much dead now...a shame really. :( I did plant a bug in the admin's ear about XenForo but I think he'd already purchased the vB5 license.

Edit: it's back online for now, but I still can't access some of the areas I use all the time. Can't say it is all that user friendly at any rate--I'm clicking a lot more there than I do in any of my XF forums. Unbelievable the world of difference between the two--one could make a tidy profit if they wrote a converter for vB5 or could actually do the conversion.

Last edited:
I'm concerned.

I'm noticing a bad trend... importers for profit.

I don't think importing should cost anyone a single dime. You're already paying to change forum software, that price should include the import, not as an additional cost factored in.

I'd like to see XenForo release an official add-on for vBulletin 5. But if they don't, I'm not at all happy with the idea of anyone making any profit from developing an importer. No matter how much someone wants to argue time is money.

Sure... I'm for making a small profit on helping people do the import. But only if they also have the option to do it themselves for free.

I'm already tweaking like crazy to improve the current vBulletin 4 importer. As XenForo hasn't released one and the one I passed onto @Jake Bunce is becoming a little dated.

But further more, I've watched a paid one follow it..... So you can believe I'm working on something to replace that as well.

If someone wants to donate a vBulletin 5 license (as I'll not be purchasing one).... After its out of beta... If XenForo doesn't pick up that ball .... I'll likely will.

I'm concerned.

I'm noticing a bad trend... importers for profit.

I don't think importing should cost anyone a single dime. You're already paying to change forum software, that price should include the import, not as an additional cost factored in.

I'd like to see XenForo release an official add-on for vBulletin 5. But if they don't, I'm not at all happy with the idea of anyone making any profit from developing an importer. No matter how much someone wants to argue time is money.

Sure... I'm for making a small profit on helping people do the import. But only if they also have the option to do it themselves for free.

I'm already tweaking like crazy to improve the current vBulletin 4 importer. As XenForo hasn't released one and the one I passed onto @Jake Bunce is becoming a little dated.

But further more, I've watched a paid one follow it..... So you can believe I'm working on something to replace that as well.

If someone wants to donate a vBulletin 5 license (as I'll not be purchasing one).... After its out of beta... If XenForo doesn't pick up that ball .... I'll likely will.

vB5 is out of beta long time ago, and this is why the story is so sad; because in its state right now, it's not even in its alpha stage.

vB5 is out of beta long time ago, and this is why the story is so sad; because in its state right now, it's not even in its alpha stage.

Really? I honestly thought it was still beta.

Need to know if @Kier @Ashley or @Mike know anything about an official XenForo importer planned or in development. I would much prefer they released something officially.

Doing it myself would take some time. And I'd still would need someone to donate a copy. Someone leaned me a copy of vBulletin 4, but I kept having to work around them.

The forum I referred to is running vB 5.0.2 (or so it says at the bottom). It's out of beta, but feels alpha. :D

I think it's fair to charge for an importer. If I were to develop something (an importer, a theme, an add-on, etc.), I'd want to be reimbursed for my development time. But it would be a small amount (I'm thinking more like $10-$20). When XF grows more, I'm sure there will be more import modules available from them directly, as it used to be with vB (even to the point of having another person on staff who develops and supports forum importers). But for a third party developer? I think they deserve something for their time. Not all of us have the luxury of unstructured free time to waste away--every minute I'm doing something "free" in my line of work is a minute I'm not making income. As for an importer--profit? Hardly. Covering losses? Sure. I can dig that. :)

Doing it myself would take some time. And I'd still would need someone to donate a copy. Someone leaned me a copy of vBulletin 4, but I kept having to work around them.

Is there any market for a vB4 license anymore? We still have one to get rid of. I'll have to check with them (much as I hate to) to see if it is even possible to transfer it. Figured I'd recoup some of our expenses.

The forum I referred to is running vB 5.0.2 (or so it says at the bottom). It's out of beta, but feels alpha. :D

I think it's fair to charge for an importer. If I were to develop something (an importer, a theme, an add-on, etc.), I'd want to be reimbursed for my development time. But it would be a small amount (I'm thinking more like $10-$20). When XF grows more, I'm sure there will be more import modules available from them directly, as it used to be with vB (even to the point of having another person on staff who develops and supports forum importers). But for a third party developer? I think they deserve something for their time. Not all of us have the luxury of unstructured free time to waste away--every minute I'm doing something "free" in my line of work is a minute I'm not making income. As for an importer--profit? Hardly. Covering losses? Sure. I can dig that. :)
I respect we have a difference of an opinion. But I can't respect the outcome of that opinion.

I'm kind of dead-locked, closed minded, and firm on the idea of importers not costing extra. It's my pet peeve.

And usually, someone releasing a paid version, prompts me to go into overdrive and out of my way to make a free alternative. As the case now with the other vb4 fast importer (which will depend on perl).

Really? I honestly thought it was still beta.

Need to know if @Kier @Ashley or @Mike know anything about an official XenForo importer planned or in development. I would much prefer they released something officially.

Yes, it was out Feb 21st, 2013. If you have an access to their crappy tracker, you can see it here:
http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10091&version=10741

The funny thing is that they released 28 betas for vB5, and up until now, version 5.0.3, they've fixed more than 1000 bugs and the list right now has 2619 more bugs that are confirmed.
This is the main reason why I'm here.

Last edited:
Is there any market for a vB4 license anymore? We still have one to get rid of. I'll have to check with them (much as I hate to) to see if it is even possible to transfer it. Figured I'd recoup some of our expenses.

There is a huge market for vB 4, since this is the latest stable version that worth considering. DP has some good sales on it, you can get around $100 per license, maybe more if you have CMS:
https://forums.digitalpoint.com/forums/secondhand-licenses.148/

Top Bottom