vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that they reset the demo daily. Apparently that means that registered members are removed daily. I would think it would be beneficial to see how it works under many members.
I think knowing it uses 106 database queries should tell you how bad it is.
When there was some traffic on the site, it was 100% unusable.

Reactions: vVv
I was told that they reset the demo daily. Apparently that means that registered members are removed daily. I would think it would be beneficial to see how it works under many members.
The number of members [accounts] is meaningless, the only test is multiple people online at the same time, it doesnt matter what day they registered, or even if they registered at all.

The number of members [accounts] is meaningless, the only test is multiple people online at the same time, it doesnt matter what day they registered, or even if they registered at all.
We can't see that statistic.... :rolleyes:

Let's stay on topic please ....
We are discussing vBulletin 5.

I have found that threads seem to resize well to any browser window size I throw at it.
This is a major improvement over vB4.

So, despite the plethora of showstopping failures, there are a few hidden gems in vBulletin 5.

According to the new State of the art forum website software thats a big fat Zero.. Oh that cant be right, those stats must be another feature that vBsi will add at a later date.. Probably around the time v6 is due.
Forums   vBulletin 5 Demo.webp

I would sympathise with those who think they would be able to run this monstrosity on shared hosting, let alone a smaller VPS. Ouch to those.

Paul has every right to be proud of v5.. vBsi seems to have built their software around his miserable users plugin. actually i believe it might be the heart of the software.

I think we should seriously consider deleting this thread and start trolling positive messages about vb5 on vb community. Give IB the impression they're doing a fantastic job. Then after the trial boom new XF release blow them away.

I have been waiting patiently for the release of vb5 so I could make my all important final decision of moving my last, and main site, back to vb...sorry, I can't handle the lack of progress and communication in XF...BUT, after having a little play with vb5, and yes I know it is BETA, now everything is pointing to either hanging around with XF on a maybe or just say "STUFF IT ALL" and go to IPB.

The problem is I have to decide whether to spend a lot of money in getting what I need from XF as I have absolutely no idea on what there is to look forward to, if anything at all, in the next XF update when it comes sometime in the next 10 years or so. It may come this year or next year and only contain some woohoo beaut things for the developer minded XF customer or who knows if there will be anything for the "Power User" customer that needs great things for their site like a great Photo Gallery, Video Library, a Portal System that works properly (like vbAdvanced CMPS) or ???. The other option is to go back to vb knowing that as they have done with vb4, will eventually make vb5 work really well. However, the demo of vb5 smells of the first days of vb4 all over again.

What gets me about vb5 is that they darn well know that they are on a very thin line after all the vb4 saga and they show a BETA of something that again has shown so little thought in its initial public viewing. I think they should have waited to BETA 100 at least before they came out with it showing some hope that they are starting to think about quality instead of rushing something out. The customer base would then start to have some degree of confidence in what they are doing. They should have waited till they had something decent to show everyone.

IPB I may mention seems to have been the most stable and "happy" lot amongst the big 3 and is a whole new learning curve all over again but it does have everything a person needs...even an integrated shop but IPB has been going for quite a long time.

IPB - going quite a long time, communicates to their customers about the future and has a very powerful and stable product
XF - very young, no communication about what to expect in the future for their customers to make decisions but has a very good forum only product
VB - going quite a long time, communicates to their customers about what they are doing but again seems to be rushing out bad quality work that may take some time to get right

The point I am making is that vb, with their BETA release of vb5 has stuffed up my ability to make a decision on what to do

after having a little play with vb5, and yes I know it is BETA, now everything is pointing to either hanging around with XF
Short of some miracles, vB5 will either never be ready or will take at least a year to be usable.
You should wait until IB uses vBulletin. So far, IB hasn't used vB4 on their sites (it wasn't worth it for them to upgrade their sites). I bet IB passes on vB5 for their sites as well.
I suggest their actions speak louder than words.

I have been waiting patiently for the release of vb5 so I could make my all important final decision of moving my last, and main site, back to vb..
Please, for the sake of your users, go with xenForo. I think xenForo devs will be talking in the next month, since it's the xenForo anniversary. If not, the latest we're going to hear from xenForo Ltd. is January. I have faith that xenForo wins this lawsuit.

Please, reconsider!
IPB - going quite a long time, communicates to their customers about the future and has a very powerful and stable product
XF - very young, no communication about what to expect in the future for their customers to make decisions but has a very good forum only product
VB - going quite a long time, communicates to their customers about what they are doing but again seems to be rushing out bad quality work that may take some time to get right
We all know vB4/vB5 is a disaster, and we know that xenForo is a great software. I want to say to you, that moving to IPB won't solve problems. It's a slow, and bloated software - just as bad as vB4. They do things better than vB4, but I don't like IPB at all. When I see a gaming site using IPB, I leave fast. Immediately. IPB lost me as a customer from the moment I became an administrator for an IPB-powered Xbox Forum.

I have been waiting patiently for the release of vb5 so I could make my all important final decision of moving my last, and main site, back to vb...sorry, I can't handle the lack of progress and communication in XF...BUT, after having a little play with vb5, and yes I know it is BETA, now everything is pointing to either hanging around with XF on a maybe or just say "STUFF IT ALL" and go to IPB.

The problem is I have to decide whether to spend a lot of money in getting what I need from XF as I have absolutely no idea on what there is to look forward to, if anything at all, in the next XF update when it comes sometime in the next 10 years or so. It may come this year or next year and only contain some woohoo beaut things for the developer minded XF customer or who knows if there will be anything for the "Power User" customer that needs great things for their site like a great Photo Gallery, Video Library, a Portal System that works properly (like vbAdvanced CMPS) or ???. The other option is to go back to vb knowing that as they have done with vb4, will eventually make vb5 work really well. However, the demo of vb5 smells of the first days of vb4 all over again.

Despite the apparent issues with vBulletin 5, at least it will have the possibility of becoming good as it's under active development. Xenforo Development has ceased, and there is no indiciation of if/when it will start again, after all the developers aren't even talking to each other, let alone the customers here. IPB seems to be about the only major forum company that has all their stuff together. They communicate with customers, they update their products, and they bring requested features to whatever they work on.

What gets me about vb5 is that they darn well know that they are on a very thin line after all the vb4 saga and they show a BETA of something that again has shown so little thought in its initial public viewing. I think they should have waited to BETA 100 at least before they came out with it showing some hope that they are starting to think about quality instead of rushing something out. The customer base would then start to have some degree of confidence in what they are doing. They should have waited till they had something decent to show everyone.

IPB I may mention seems to have been the most stable and "happy" lot amongst the big 3 and is a whole new learning curve all over again but it does have everything a person needs...even an integrated shop but IPB has been going for quite a long time.

The point I am making is that vb, with their BETA release of vb5 has stuffed up my ability to make a decision on what to do

Like previously mentioned, the way IB handled vB4, and how long it took to become a decent solution to community forums was a while after it's initial release. I'd expect the same with vBulletin 5 Connect. I'd imagine it might go "gold" before the end of the year, but it won't be usable for the majority of sites. Combined with the fact you have to rewrite all URL's, you're better off switching to something that's already available and working good. Like IPB.

But in the end, it's your community, you need to decide whats best for it, not the people here, or at vBulletin, or IPB. You know what your members want and expect from you, deliver it to them.

If you want the best, get Xenforo. If your missing something you want, hire someone to create it.

In the end you'll have a better running/looking/functioning forum than you had before.

Don't forget, how long are developers going to stick around on a dead project too.

What about future support. You could build for the now, and worry about the future later, or you could actually put thought and planning in your communities future with actively developed projects.

Heres the problem with vB 4.0 should have been Alpha 4.1 should have been Beta and 4.2 should have been a RC.. I still dont see vB4 as Gold. but my point is that as soon as their customers declare it stable they hit us all with vB5 only months later.. Now they want you to pay all over again for another Alpha bulid (to have the new/next best thing) I have little doubt vB will eventually have a true stable version (this is a matter of personal standards.) but im also sure when it comes out they will already be pimping vB6..

And another more serious note to consider would be support and the price of.. I cant speak about IPB's support policy but vBSI has just modified theirs yet again. it isnt included in sticker price. Not to mention licence transfers are no longer an option outside of the EU. I still think XF is should be the industry standard even if development is postponed for another year or more.

Of course the cost of modifying your site will be a factor but they also bring a return in user experience and everything regarding the plugin system is far superior then anything else out there at the moment. Ive also found custom work to be much more reasonable in the sense that they rarely need to be tweaked with each and every build.

Actually vB5 is what i thought vB4 was supposed to be when i bought in to the pre sale. So to a degree i kind of feel cheated all over again even though i have no intention of buying vB5 now or ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom