vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realised this is Beta 10... what does that tell you guys?

vB 5.0.99328 coming to you... soon!

Nothing ever changes.

Holy crap, it's awful.

Guys, I'll go grab a shovel. It's time to dig a grave.

RIP vBulletin.

EDIT: I think, to be fair, it might be slightly unfair judging this as we are on a Beta product... I wasn't around at the time, but I assume the first XF beta wasn't this piss poor?

Traditional SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) treats the beta as a frozen product but with bug fixes. Granted some of these fixes may be performance related, however expect not much additional changes to the actual product and that the product you see going forward will not change much.

Just realised this is Beta 10... what does that tell you guys?

vB 5.0.99328 coming to you... soon!

Nothing ever changes.

To be fair on that one, if they are using a rapid development/agile development, the beta phases or sprints are shorter, and could see higher numbers.

Holy crap, it's awful.

Guys, I'll go grab a shovel. It's time to dig a grave.

RIP vBulletin.

EDIT: I think, to be fair, it might be slightly unfair judging this as we are on a Beta product... I wasn't around at the time, but I assume the first XF beta wasn't this piss poor?
It was simple, fast and not bloated, not ugly and not looking like a clusterfkk5 waiting to happen. It was so simple I waited a good bit before I bought it.

Traditional SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) treats the beta as a frozen product but with bug fixes. Granted some of these fixes may be performance related, however expect not much additional changes to the actual product and that the product you see going forward will not change much.
I don't think you understood Chris' point. His point is, if vBSI needs to make that many revisions, then it tells you that there has been a lot of back and forths - meaning nobody has a set development style to be in line with the lead developer's. Which ends up breaking someone else's code, then someone else's code, then someone else's code.... And so on and on.

I don't think you understood Chris' point. His point is, if vBSI needs to make that many revisions, then it tells you that there has been a lot of back and forths - meaning nobody has a set development style to be in line with the lead developer's. Which ends up breaking someone else's code, then someone else's code, then someone else's code.... And so on and on.

There are many interpretations... but granted that I'm running on about an hour of sleep in the last 48 hours, and it's 2:30 AM, I'm not necessarily inclined to do in depth analysis as well :D

And additionally Internet Brands has killed their German distributor (I'm very sad for them) which had fantastical customer service ...

There are many interpretations... but granted that I'm running on about an hour of sleep in the last 48 hours, and it's 2:30 AM, I'm not necessarily inclined to do in depth analysis as well :D
My mind is as sharp as a razor right now. This $#!^ is intolerable at beta. vB4 had a lot of problems during beta sprints, but not THIS bad. I mean, in the beta sprints, the only bug problems were user interface bugs. vB5's output is putting messed up words in forum display/thread display, meaning this whole thing is not even close to being ready.

And that's just guest viewing. FYI.

The worst part is, it takes a loong 2 minutes to load a.... login box. Really? Really?

I think its sluggish due to the amount of people on the beta. Probably just server related.

I'm going to forgive them a little bit on the performance of their official server...

I'm sure 2 minutes to load a login box is not how it is supposed to be designed or function or intentional. I think we can pass that off as simply them mistaking the level of interest the beta would get. I imagine their server is just not up to handling the load.

However, Shamil's site does perform ok (not as good as XF) but I think Shamil's install is more indicative of the desired performance, to be fair.

I'm going to forgive them a little bit on the performance of their official server...

I'm sure 2 minutes to load a login box is not how it is supposed to be designed or function or intentional. I think we can pass that off as simply them mistaking the level of interest the beta would get. I imagine their server is just not up to handling the load.

However, Shamil's site does perform ok (not as good as XF) but I think Shamil's install is more indicative of the desired performance, to be fair.

I'm thinking the actual demo server we are using is the production server for the main site itself. Part of what I'm wondering is if this is an early indication that there are increased hardware requirements to run vBulletin 5 smoothly for larger boards.

*bangs desk* I #@^&ing swear... Some companies don't learn. It just sounds like they haven't even learnt from the ForumCon server overload.

It's 2:40 am here in california, I would slam this desk for Internet Brand's stupidity by not getting a better server to handle this much traffic. :mad:

EDIT: Well, that was quick. It's like we have some vBulletin ninjas around these parts - because the login box is running faster. :cautious:

I wonder where the flaw is:
  • The Alpha testers completely failed to point out potential problems and UI issues
  • The development team failed to listen to their Alpha testers and did what they wanted anyway
  • The Marketing Division are the ones who decide when the product is ready for launch (whatever date they put in their sales blurb!)
It's vB4 all over again; albeit with a public beta this time. No obvious lessons learned and I suspect the development team are being run on a time schedule rather than by a "when it's ready" (and polished code) philosophy.

I'm going to be brave and make an early prediction that vB5 will be a commercial flop with a further two years of patching and "updating" during which time the competition will overtake them and the vBulletin name and brand will lose traction and potentially fall into the annals of Internet software history.

A shame really when you consider the halcyon days of vB3.

I know everyone is different, but trying to use the VB5 demo is, well, awful.
I could never use that software as a user, let alone an admin.

Grateful that I moved to XF...personally, I like nothing about vB5. Obviously, hard to tell just what the issues are with actually running it, as I have only seen the demo site and Shamil's site. However, given the issues seen so far, there is nothing I see to make me say I wish I could use this software (the issues being with load times, SEO, notifications, CSS classes- as stated by digitalpoint FOURTY CSS CLASSES on a single HTML). That is separate from the whole layout UI, which I don't care for and I think would turn off my forum members.

To me, this stinks of vB4.x all over (which, to me is still a beta product). Tons of more work needed to make it useable and does not meet the hype.

Maybe some think it is great and will work for them. We will see.

Thats what i wanted to clearfiy 8thos. Is the "forum inside facebook" true? Is that wht thy call facebook app included in the core package?

Just so I know it isn't only me who thinks it's a naff idea - can any of you see the point in having comments on forum posts?

Surely that's what a reply is!

Just so I know it isn't only me who thinks it's a naff idea - can any of you see the point in having comments on forum posts?

Surely that's what a reply is!
Imagine big threads... it would be so easy to get lost...

You'd read a thread, then you'd have to go back and read the thread again to see comments you've missed...

Unless comments are added as normal posts in the thread in chronological order in which case that's slightly easier... but surely that's what a reply is! I dunno, I actually had high hopes for them in a way. It's a shame to see what was a good product just completely fowl something up like they did with vB4. If they'd have just managed to get this right then at least they could have gone forward and we could all pretend that vB 4 never happened... you know a bit like we do with Windows ME and Windows Vista (and probably Windows 8).

Thats what i wanted to clearfiy 8thos. Is the "forum inside facebook" true? Is that wht thy call facebook app included in the core package?
Yes. This is actually the second facebook forum app I've seen. I already have a facebook forum (from the original facebook forums app) but it is rarely used and people in facebook seem to prefer chatting in group chats that belong to a group or page rather than a forum inside of facebook. So although it is a novel idea, it won't be successful for most people. Even the original facebook forums app fell way the fkk off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom