vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how anyone can judge "fair." There is no ultimate arbiter of that idea.

I have read a lot of your threads about how you wish people would spend more time on support threads. It is your opinion, so there is nothing wrong with that. But, I would ask you a question in response. Have you had problem with getting support here?

For someone like me, without ability to really help anyone with technical issues (I am just a forum admin, I can't really help anyone much, I think), why should I not post in the community threads? Should I not post because I don't have any coding skills, have never made a skin or style, and have a hard time telling a <div> from a can of diet coke? And, if it holds true for me, why not others? My point is that I wonder why the "community" should be limited to only coders. Not that I need anyone's approval, but I think it is not fair to doubt this community based on people posting, but not giving technical advice. I surely am not calling you out, and think your opinions are as valid as anyone else's....but, unless you were lurking for a long time, you only joined this forum in the past few weeks. It just seems strange to seem to long for the "good old days" when I don't think much has changed and I see most questions answered by the mods really quickly.
Again, not calling you out or criticizing....just posting this to maybe give you another perspective.

I always get that response though too. Yeah, I got help, I got support. Said that previously. ;) :) But at same time, it's not everyone jumping over each other to help me either. It's same two or three people

I guess, I would ask, what help do you need? Probably not best to go too far off topic (probably too late for that), but if you have problems or issues, have you posted them?

This place is basically a branch off of ex'vb'er's with their love nest of friends from over there.. they all came here.. and are in that "clique" together.. It's the same leg humping clique on other admin sites, doing the same stuff there on those forums as well. Not one of those people helped me. Except to maybe "get me in here" .. that's it. The last I heard from them. Then they all go "invisible" as well.. So mature. I'm not saying you're bad guy, because you haven't replied to my stuff nor helped, nor am I saying you need to be jumping into support stuff lol. Everyone has things they want to do, can or can't do, etc etc. :) But there's tons of coders, designers, skinners, developers here.. most are posting in junk threads like this... and only TWO or THREE even bent over backwards to lend me hand with XF support since i been here. And it's the same guys, over and over and over. The others? I dunno where they are.. Helping their other "clique buddies" I guess...I'm new guy, getting support yes.. Thanks for that, Jake and Chris, and mr can't remember the name off hand lmfao.. xD

Dunno what to tell you...those who can help have helped you? There are not a ton of people here who may be able to help you. I really can't (and have no desire to) get into relative support, except to say that for my questions, I have always gotten good help in resolving my issues. Are you saying that you haven't?
Unrelated note:
Every admin forum I view as guest, same people, same drama, same stuff, lack of support. People spend too much time trying to "stalk" KAM people, to see if they changed their underwear today or not, or what broad they got "nookie from", what they doing in general. XF isn't over, until it's from the KAM's mouths themselves. XF would have been pulled from the market if it were done done. I don't see KAM team, being "scam artists". Their names/ reps are stake. The software is still sold, the support should still be given. Trial is in few months, we'll know then for sure the out come. It's not hard.

Here is where we have a lot more agreement. I really don't get the people stalking KAM and their habits, postings, vacations or whatnot. Yes, I do understand the interest. But, the owners of this company have gone through a ton of issues, personal, financial and otherwise. (And, I especially hold in low regard the low-lifes- yes, I mean that- who want to post personal details about their lives online. It speaks to a lack of dignity and disregard for privacy; some will understand this and for those who don't, I have pity for their low station).

But, yes, you are dead on in this regard- the software is great.

We are probably the people most likely to go back to vBulletin if things dont work out here.

I'd not go back to vB if they paid me. At the time I heard about XF, just logging into the vB admin CP depressed me. XF probably saved me from throwing in the towel at forum administration. I'd rather clean every toilet in the Copenhagen central station with my tongue than go back to vBulletin.

I'd not go back to vB if they paid me. At the time I heard about XF, just logging into the vB admin CP depressed me. XF probably saved me from throwing in the towel at forum administration. I'd rather clean every toilet in the Copenhagen central station with my tongue than go back to vBulletin.

Yeah, I think you said it well....while DD may have been right about many people going back to vB, I can't see ever going back to vB (especially based on this hot mess which is vB Connect). Not sure what I would do long term (IPB never appealed to me). Maybe I would just go with custom coded stuff if I had to.

I wonder if your choices were Grand Central Station versus Copenhagen Central Station, would your opinion change?
j/k

Enough personal chit....you just said something about the guys newborn child, you are indeed here on an agenda david...please attain some self respect and control yourself.

Nope. In fact, I'd rather pierce my privates with a shotgun than go back to vBug.

LMMFAO! I literally spit my coffee out to this....WOW....when I first wake up I can't control the visuals...and lemme tell you, that paints the perfect picture of comparison.

I just laugh because vBulletin did the same thing last time with vB4 and it was released unready and basically all the customers were paying them to fix mistakes...like they are invested already so the choice was taken away from them. Now years later the same thing and nothing but shortcomings and damage control.

There is obviously trolls who like to stir the pot at both places, and there are people with genuine input concerns and feedback, and then there are those who know nothing of either and are just jumping aboard one of the many ships and trying to sail.

The problem is that vb tries to bully the market, bully their customers and then post blame on other people even to the point where they allow a marketing person to attack the customer base in irrelivant ways with the intention to silence them instead of dealing with the issue at hand. The have no problem making a mockery out of anything from the concept of trust and honor to delivering a solid WORKING product.

The facts surrounding the state of their software makes me say to myself...." dude...are you effing kidding me...did they really just drop THIS as their bombshell and still act like they have any merits to very public claims they make." I mean double digit queries from seasoned profession coders who supposedly are making things better for the customer, not saying I could do better, but I am not suing someone who's codes uses 1/10th the query count of my sloppy jalopy to accomplish something that is a solid foundation to build on for anyone from beginner to profession.

So yes....if at some point I ever turn into one of those horrible people who rely on marketing nothing instead of delivering something of substance and letting it sell itself....please refer to schmitz post above, grab his shotgun and do a drive by castration on me. I would deserve it.

vbulletin is awesome
You are entitled to think that completely...and I don't even want to know why...but feel free to give supporting facts...

However bringing up a member's newborn child in an unrelated and quite disturbing scenario is quite sick and the value of your words would have to be divided by large numbers.

Enough personal chit....you just said something about the guys newborn child, you are indeed here on an agenda david...please attain some self respect and control yourself.

Since my other account won't get moderated posts through, I'll use this one from a different license.

But for the record that's not me or anyone I know. Nor to I find his jokes about children to be the least bit funny or amusing.

That's all, I'm going back to my moderated account now. It's much more fun that way.

Since my other account won't get moderated posts through, I'll use this one from a different license.

But for the record that's not me or anyone I know. Nor to I find his jokes about children to be the least bit funny or amusing.

That's all, I'm going back to my moderated account now. It's much more fun that way.

Not for nothing I don't know you or who you are and don't know why the common name of david makes you think I was addressing you....his membercard say's 'call me david'...so I obliged. Unless you are hinting at something I am clueless as to why you responded like I was talking to you.

Not for nothing I don't know you or who you are and don't know why the common name of david makes you think I was addressing you....his membercard say's 'call me david'...so I obliged. Unless you are hinting at something I am clueless as to why you responded like I was talking to you.

My apologies then, I'm tended to be labled as the forum troll from time to time, and I didn't click or view his membercard to see that's what he did, so I just assumed it was aimed at my for my other posts regarding the subject of Xenforo.

Slight confusion on my part! No harm intended.

Good day!

My apologies then, I'm tended to be labled as the forum troll from time to time, and I didn't click or view his membercard to see that's what he did, so I just assumed it was aimed at my for my other posts regarding the subject of Xenforo.

Slight confusion on my part! No harm intended.

Good day!
I mean .... with the link in your sig I hope you can understand the label you get from time to time...I tend to try and not follow the drama...but what you have in your sig link seems like you are generating money (ads) from spreading speculations.

It would be no different than displaying false info from one of those exaggerated magazines in a supermarket checkout line in the front page of a newspaper with you having access to or being one of the editors of the newspaper.

It seems like an attack page used to generate money by preying on people who may already be victims of enough drama in order to bring people to your xbox site, which is the one site you link to that doesn't suck according to the domain name selected. That is my opinion or should I say my viewpoint of this because I cannot see it as anything else.

I do not mean any harm to you even though I view what you are doing as harmful in general.

Hopefully you can come to terms with the outcome of what you are doing and make a sound judgement rather than profit from speculation.

Good day to you as well.

Not having a go at you btw. I find you to be sensible polite guy. Just want xenforo to get past all this. Xenforo does not need this thread, it wasn't allowed before but if that is all people rely on is threads like this slating a competitor, enjoy it.
Done with this thread. :)

I have found a lot of useful information on this thread about the various types of forum software.
Keeping up with what is happening around forum software is something I see as part of my job as an admin of several forums. I'm happy with XF and confident about its future. But I still like to compare partly to get ideas on fuinctions and partly as a long term backstop in case XF is no longer fun in the years to come.

The only thing I don't like on this thread is the bickering. If anyo0ne doesn't want to learn about various other forum softwares then there's no need to read this thread and certainly no need to post on it.

Very pleased to see the court case update thread has been temporarily closed until there is some real update info to put on it. It was getting annoying with the silly rumours being thrown around. Anxiety is understandable as we go into the last stage before a court case but some people were being silly and lazy about checking back on the thread to learn what has already been laid out. The thread was getting repetitive with having to make the same statements over and over to calm them down.

Back on other software I think Burning Board looks quite nice. Certainly one to watch. Who runs it? anyone know?

Not sure of their "history" as it's mainly catered to German's.. but.. https://www.woltlab.com/about/?s=21f5d58f2cc5db81e8a0623bf795f69984f69fc3

My experience with it so far..

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vb5-beta-released-and.36137/page-47#post-419861

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/knock-knock.36544/#post-417251

Just gotta get used to their usergroup permissions lol. They're kinda like phpBB3..
They use to be very rude to English customers.

Getting support on the official site was pretty much impossible, and the forum was entirely a clique when it came to non-Germans.

Hmm, I hadn't had any issues with them being rude. They were actually quite nice, and gave support fairly quickly.. :) Maybe times/things changed for the better there ... lol
It might have changed with WBB3, but before there was a huge schism between the official German community, and WBBMods, which was the unofficial English community. There were also a lot of UK communities, but most of them died around the time of WBBMods.

A majority of the people who were using the older versions of WBB went to IPB or vBulletin (I stay in contact with some of the staff and a few of the developers and designers from there still).

Reactions: vVv
Thought this thread was locked? I bet if vB5 was the best thing we ever seen in the forum world it would be.

Not sure why people even bother replying.
That just makes the cleanup more difficult.
Who's cleaning up what?

If you meant iB cleaning up the vB5 code, then that's what they're supposed to be doing! We're just making it hard for them, as we should be!

They deserve that kind of treatment after the mess they've put us in with vB4! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom