vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
XF's future depends a lot on it.

XF wins lawsuit, vb5 fails = XF may grow exponentially.
XF loses lawsuit, vb5 is a success = XF probably has a difficult time or may even EOL.

So I certainly care, especially since I'm still a vB customer (as are some other members here).
Don't get me wrong. I'd like to see XF continue. But wouldn't vB be the place to post comments by vB owners? And XF's future doesn't depend on vB5.
Whether vB5 is a dog or success, XF's future is going to be played out in court.
Because there are a lot of forums running vB3 and vB4 and those admins are interesting in knowing if vB5 will be a good upgrade.
And xenforo is the place to discuss it? Not one of the dozens of admin forums or vB itself?

Generally speaking, I feel that there is a mob mentality that is allowed to exist here.
Just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to see XF continue. But wouldn't vB be the place to post comments by vB owners? And XF's future doesn't depend on vB5.
Whether vB5 is a dog or success, XF's future is going to be played out in court.
May I ask why you think it's a bad thing that competition is discussed on either communities? I found out about XF because someone mentioned it at vB. It provided me with valuable information. This stimulates competition even more as customers are more aware of all available solutions and their positives and negatives. In the end the products get better and customers make better informed decisions.

Believe me, a high quality vbulletin product vs low quality will make a huge difference. vB has a huge customer base, most customers already here did not come out of thin air. Many used to be vb customers.

Reactions: vVv
May I ask why you think it's a bad thing that competition is discussed on either communities? I found out about XF because someone mentioned it at vB. It provided me with valuable information. This stimulates competition even more as customers are more aware of all available solutions and their positives and negatives. In the end the products get better and customers make better informed decisions.

Believe me, a high quality vbulletin product vs low quality will make a huge difference. vB has a huge customer base, most customers already here did not come out of thin air. Many used to be vb customers.
Nothing wrong with forum competition. But when it comes to vB, it's a personal thing here.
I don't see 46 pages devoted to any other forum software. That's all I'll say any further.

Carry on.

With the release of Burning Board 4 and Mybb 2 coming and looking real good, both free or inexpensive alternatives to XF and VB and with decent dev community and support, I think these two "competitors" are going to impact this discussion greatly. No one is gonna pay a lot of money to get either XF or VB when BB4 and MyBB2 look and function as good as the more expensive forum developers. Just my opinion. :)

Reactions: vVv
I retried the vB5 demo (again).
I still seem to have a hard time finding the forums.
That's a bad sign for a forum software package.
mark.channels.read.webp

What channels ?
I can't mark things read when I don't even know what it is.
MEH.

XF's future depends a lot on it.

XF wins lawsuit, vb5 fails = XF may grow exponentially.
XF loses lawsuit, vb5 is a success = XF probably has a difficult time or may even EOL.

So I certainly care, especially since I'm still a vB customer (as are some other members here).

No, if XF looses then IPB would be huge success. IPB is way better then vB 5.

Query count -

vBulletin 5 beta 11 - 94-101 queries
vBulletin 5 beta 10 - 110 queries
vBulletin 4 - 14 queries
Xenforo 1.1x - 11 queries forum home
Xenforo 1.1x - 11 queries on a 1 page thread
Xenforo 1.1x - 11 queries on a 38 page thread
IPB - 49 queries on a 2 page thread (note)
- 103 queries to show a thread that is 123 pages. (note)
- 8 queries to show the main forum index page (note)

other comparison issues: quality of the query. (There are queries that are more "expensive" than others !)

Anyone know what the latest IPB needs ?
is Xenforo around 6-8 ?

IPB - 123 queries for page 2 with a topic containing 400 posts and 61 followers. Do note: While navigating to next/previous pages count is 18-23.

Nothing wrong with forum competition. But when it comes to vB, it's a personal thing here.
I don't see 46 pages devoted to any other forum software. That's all I'll say any further.

Carry on.

When IPB, myBB or phpBB sues xenForo you will.

I just got two (!) mails about the release of the vB 5 beta 11. The second one states "we have fixed 119 issues (detailed below)", without any sort of further explanation, link to the bugtracker or other way to find out which issues actually got fixed.

Oh well..

With the release of Burning Board 4 and Mybb 2 coming and looking real good, both free or inexpensive alternatives to XF and VB and with decent dev community and support, I think these two "competitors" are going to impact this discussion greatly. No one is gonna pay a lot of money to get either XF or VB when BB4 and MyBB2 look and function as good as the more expensive forum developers. Just my opinion. :)

Burning Board has never had a great community. Plus, it costs $64 and updates are $51 a year... I think most serious buyers will either go XF or IPB.

myBB 2 could be interesting, I haven't seen a demo of it anywhere though.

So where in that comment did you argue with them? I see you writing facts but no arguing? Is it in another post?

So where in that comment did you argue with them? I see you writing facts but no arguing? Is it in another post?
One of the staff members had "crossed out" my comment and I fixed it (removing the cross). This counted as an argument to them. They also said that my comment was crossed out because it was a lie.

My only reply .... You can see if for yourself.... Was the it was only me stating my opinion

Screenshot from 2012-09-29 22:50:26.webp

It's bad enough that prices have gone up and service down, but to ban customers for negative feedback makes no sense at all. The vB community used to be very different...

It's bad enough that prices have gone up and service down, but to ban customers for negative feedback makes no sense at all. The vB community used to be very different...

Many things have changed progressively since the purchase of vBulletin by Internet Brands.
I am saddened to see how IB comes to banish their own customers who dare to give their opinions in a licensed-only feedback forum. They do not realize that it's against-productive and damages their own brand image.

When I see how the vBulletin code is increasingly bad, I think I'm right to advise all my friends to migrate to another script (like XenForo ;)).

Many things have changed progressively since the purchase of vBulletin by Internet Brands.
I am saddened to see how IB comes to banish their own customers who dare to give their opinions in a licensed-only feedback forum. They do not realize that it's against-productive and damages their own brand image.

When I see how the vBulletin code is increasingly bad, I think I'm right to advise all my friends to migrate to another script (like XenForo ;)).
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom