vB4 to xenForo with CMS/Portal

Adan0s

Hey there,

as I'm completely sick of the general update & news policy of vBulletin(4) I'm currently planning a migration from vB4.1.2 with about 250.000 posts and 9.000 members to xenForo.
While I'm sure the forum itself will be a huge step forward I have two concerns:
  1. I need a full-fledged news portal/cms including an article system, not just newsposts, which preferably is deeply integrated into the forum
  2. The portal/cms should have an api or atleast a pretty straightforward database scheme as I'm planning to migrate my >5.000 news and articles from an old old e107 database
For vBulletin I wrote a portal which displays tagged threads from a specific forum to emulate some kind of news frontpage.
I did a quick look on the XenPorta which seems already to do most of the stuff that my site needs but I can't really find some kind of CMS part. Also
The other option would probably be a wordpress bridge (although I'd prefer typo3) but according to the latest comments there are some serious problems.

Also if I'm correct there is no official vB4 importer just some 3rd party scripts, right? Did anyone have had any problems with those or are those safe to use? Preferably free or low at cost, don't want to spend like the same amount I'd pay for xenForo in an importer to make the system usable for me.

Sorry if there's already some other thread with similar specifications, just wanted a clean thread for my purpose. :)

Best wishes,
Adan0s

Also if I'm correct there is no official vB4 importer just some 3rd party scripts, right?

This is technically correct, but there is an official vB3 importer on which the unofficial vB4 importer is based. The two schemas are very similar, and this unofficial vB4 importer has been widely tested:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/vb4-importer.1025/

The importer is good. Don't worry about that.

Also if I'm correct there is no official vB4 importer just some 3rd party scripts, right? Did anyone have had any problems with those or are those safe to use?

No problem, worked perfectly. I migrated from vBulletin 4.0.x to the last version of XenForo.

A little note, before migrating, set up all option and preferences on your XenForo installation. For example, set up your preferred thumbnail size for attached images in posts.There's no option to resize massively thumbnail after they are created in XenForo, in this case only option remaining is to repeat migration.

Thanks everyone! Seems like I can atleast put a checkmark on the migration itself.
Now only for the CMS/Portal. Anyone with experience with XenPorta? I really would like to test those Plugins but unfortunately there's no legal option to do so without purchasing...

If you want to import just about everything from vB4, my suggestion is Paul M's importer. It will support your vB4.1.2 as my migration was 4.1.4.

Welcome to xenForo, I hope you enjoy the migration and post-migration. (y)

i am looking to migrate my 50k members forum from vb4 to xenforo too. really sick of the vb5connect. crap sh*t
Thanks again, guys! Really appreciate your answers.

The Xen*-Products seem to cover most of my needs, so I'll probably try migrating to those.
I helped package the vBulletin 4 importer. Its been tested on several large sites with over 1/2 Million post (500,000 +). You should have no problems importing your sites. :)

It is a little resource heavy though so sometimes people with shared hosting or smaller VPS, much prefer it done on localhost (on your own computer).

If either if you need help, please feel free to ask.

I need a full-fledged news portal/cms including an article system, not just newsposts, which preferably is deeply integrated into the forum
I have similar needs: I use vB4.2.2. I use the CMS, blogs and the events calendar integrated into the forum. I have an open mind about Xenforo but in order to move across I need to find some way to deliver feature parity. Doesn't really matter if the forum is Xenforo and blogs, CMS and calendar come via Joomla if it's a single login. Anyone here know how this can be delivered?

XenPorta = Portal and a Widget Framework...
XenCarta = CMS with Wiki features...

Does anyone have a link to a site currently using these live so I could view them? I too am looking to leave vb 4 , but the CMS area of our site is the most important area for us. I'd like to see a few sites using XenPorta and XenCarta to see if I could make those work instead..

Top Bottom