1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xenForo Portal?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Fish, May 15, 2013.

1. Fish

Fish New Member

Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a xenForo license. I'm wanting to build a community site, where the primary focus is the forums, but I'd also like a portal page where various widgets can be placed as well as having the ability to "promote" forum posts as front-page news.

Similar to these two sites:

http://wildstar-central.com/
    http://www.alttabme.com/

Is that feature built into xenForo or does a portal such as that require an addon? If so, which would you recommend for the greatest flexibility?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Fish

Fish New Member

That makes sense. Thanks!

4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

XenPorta and Simple portal are two.

5. psTubble27

psTubble27 Well-Known Member

After 1.2 comes out, you'll be able to create a Page and set it as the main landing page.

0xym0r0n and Lucas like this.
  6. Mythotical

Mythotical Well-Known Member

xfPortal is being updated as well. Looking at releasing soon.

7. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

What new stuff is coming in xfportal?

8. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

I don't get it. There is no resource listing for "xfportal" and searches don't throw up discussion about it.
    So how can it be updated if it doesn't exist yet?

9. AzzidReign

AzzidReign Well-Known Member

A higher quality one will likely be hitting the marketing in the next few months.

10. Morgain

higher quality than what?

11. AzzidReign

Xenporta, it doesn't work on big boards.

12. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I'm sure Myth released an xfportal to the Resource Manager or the old archive so the update he's referencing to could be that, in that it will be receiving an update. I could be wrong but I'm sure I seen a release by myth made titled xfportal not 100% sure though.

Edit: quoted wrong post. Added in quote.

13. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Its resource intensive ?

14. AzzidReign

Yeah, coded poorly, caused my site to error out a few times an hour because of it....even after multiple modifications to the core files.

15. Morgain

OK I did another set of searches.

There is no Resource called xfPortal.
    There is no discussion thread for xfPortal.
    There is a single reference to it back in January 2012 when user Clark mentions it as something he's heard about in passing as in development.

Nothing after that until this month - May 2013
    Myth has mentioned working on it on another thread, and then here. It looks like something he' is doing on his own site. No clear explanation to say so though, hence our puzzlement.
    S/he does not allow access to their profile, or give link to their site, so no information is being permitted.

More waiting is required.

16. Mythotical

xPortal was the original name. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xportal.8710/

That is the old version that I'm working on updating.

You are correct, your not losing your mind or imagining things.

17. Mythotical

Importing/Exporting blocks, multiple layouts to choose from, updates to the core code, better settings to allow for multiple select of forums for news.

Paul likes this.
  18. Morgain

Mythotical it looks great on that old thread but how weird that this did not show up on any of my searches. <delete> Just caught up on new name for addon oops.

Well, forward, and I look forward to seeing your new (old) portal.
    How will it handle articles?

19. Mythotical

I hoping to implement an article system sorta that will allow you to promote a thread to an article on the front page. Not sure yet how I will work that though.

20. Morgain

I want article pages, frontend editable; which link to a discussion thread, AND can be promoted to the front page.