XF 1.4 VB3.8 - XF1.4 / Photopost and vb Gallery to XF Gallery

Recently upgraded from vb3.8 to XF1.4
Everything went smooth thanks for all the help.

The old site as both Photopost and vb Galleries.
I know I can only pick one and retain the IDs.
I can import the other without the IDs
(Correctly me if I am wrong)

If I do this which should retain the ID's?
And how can I update any links for the other?

Thanks,
J

You are correct - you can only retain the IDs once, as otherwise you would very likely run into duplicate ID errors.

Which you retain is entirely up to you. The concept of retaining the IDs is usually helpful so you can manually produce redirects from old URLs to the new URLs.

I guess the one you import first and the one you retain IDs will be the one you consider most important to redirect. This will be relatively easy if the IDs have been maintained. The other one, is likely going to be more difficult to redirect as it would likely require a custom script to map the old IDs to the new IDs (we build a log for this during the import).

However:

I want to clarify something. There are a few different vB based gallery/album systems.

PhotoPost Pro (presumably you mean this when you say PhotoPost?)
PhotoPost vBGallery (this is by the same developers as above but it is a vBulletin modification)
vB Albums (this is the albums functionality built in to vBulletin)

Which of these do you have? Depending on the answer I may have a better solution. You mention vBGallery but I just want to make sure that you meant vBGallery vs vBulletin Albums.

You are correct - you can only retain the IDs once, as otherwise you would very likely run into duplicate ID errors.

Which you retain is entirely up to you. The concept of retaining the IDs is usually helpful so you can manually produce redirects from old URLs to the new URLs.

I guess the one you import first and the one you retain IDs will be the one you consider most important to redirect. This will be relatively easy if the IDs have been maintained. The other one, is likely going to be more difficult to redirect as it would likely require a custom script to map the old IDs to the new IDs (we build a log for this during the import).
You can disregard the other parts of my message, aside from what's above.

If it was Photopost vBGallery then there is some custom redirection scripts that would work, but as it's not then you would basically need to maintain IDs for one, and not the other.

I started looking at this a bit more.
I supposed I can import the vB Albums and leave it alone.
Then import Photopost and fix any links based on the Import Table that is created?
This would have both the old and new ID correct?

Anyone have an example of this?

Top Bottom