1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest VB import suggestion.... Grouping PMs into Conversations

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by MGSteve, Dec 31, 2010.

1. MGSteve

MGSteve Well-Known Member

It should be possible to do this, but currently it brings in each PM seperately, as they appear in VB. However, if the subject and the sender is the same then it should be able to group them into a conversation thread.

Walter likes this.
  2. MGSteve

Is there any chance of the importer being changed to support this prior to gold?

3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's not really easy to do this, due to the way things like sent items work (which may not exist), or even just individual messages being deleted. Additionally, subjects are really the main thing you can go with and that would be nightmare to manage (and cause bad performance).

4. ibnesayeed

ibnesayeed Well-Known Member

What about (an option to) manually merging messages to make it a conversation?

Because I think subject is not a good idea to group on it automatically. Because very common salutation/greeting phrases are a common practice to be used as "mandatory subject" (naming a variable and writing a subject appropriately, have similar complexities!, isn't it?). I can see several messages in my inbox from same sender with same subject but actual topic and date of conversation was different and far away.

5. MGSteve

hmm, that's a fair point actually, hadn't thought of the sent items.

But ibnesayeed makes a good suggestion, being able to manually merge PMs into a conversation (even if its partly one sided) would be better than nothing.

ibnesayeed likes this.
  6. ibnesayeed

ibnesayeed Well-Known Member

We can even reflect this merging in the inbox of both the parties. But we will have to take care of CC/BCC participants (which I have suggested in another thread).