VB Departures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't read them then?
Sadly, there is a large number of people here who feel they must try and take down any thread that they don't like instead of simply ignoring them. And they usually win because then the bickering starts about how the thread should remain open or closed and Brogan gets tired of it and ends up closing it to stop all the nonsense.

Sadly, there is a large number of people here who feel they must try and take down any thread that they don't like instead of simply ignoring them. And they usually win because then the bickering starts about how the thread should be remain open or closed and Brogan gets tired of it and ends up closing it to stop all the nonsense.

It's when folk start talking in 3rd perspective mode in threads such as these and subliminally baiting members when threads such as these become closed and offer nothing in the way of discussion.

I do not know if we are allowed to talk about it here so I will appologise in advance to the staff here if indeed this discussion is not permitted here.

That said, 4 staff members leaving all at the same time tells me that there must be something more to it than a simple case of staff coming and going as some are trying to explain it away over there.

It's the same discussion that happened on many sites when <insert developers' names here> all left vB within a few weeks of each other.
Tongues will wag.

Don't read them then?
How do you know what its about until you read it when the title is sufficiently vague? It could have referred to a departure from licensing schemes, future directions or any number of things. It may have been something positive.
I see it in my field all the time. Its the typical IBM vs. EMC holy wars from partners of one versus partners of the other. I personally think its stupid. Its like arguing that box wrenches are better than sockets when he truth is for 70% of the jobs, you can use either, but when you absolutely need one over the other, there is no subsitution.

Being a partner of both, I'd hate to see IBM or EMC succeed at the expense of the other. There's room in the industry for both and its great that the competition keeps them innovating and improving.

You know, I find it best to just let things go.

Lets look ahead to the future instead of dwelling on the past. I think the whole vBulletin thing left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths, but dwelling on it will just make everyone more bitter.

Why speculate, if those people feel like letting us know why they left or "retired" they'll let us know. :) Maybe they just prefer not to discuss it and are taking the high road, which, I can respect and wish I would have done more often in my younger years.

IB is suing a competitor because it's good business for them. Not because they have a case. The case has no merit. It never did. IB has succeeded in hassling "the little guy". IB would prefer dragging the case out for years ..... as they hope customers avoid the little guy because of the threat of the lawsuit. That is why the lawsuit won't get dropped.

Of course IB should concentrate on doing something good for vB5. If vB5 is a flop their customer base will leave them in droves.

I get a little tired of threads like this. The underlying current seems to be the xenforo's success is either directly or indirectly linked to VB's failure.

IMHO, xenforo is a fine enough product that it will thrive in a world where VB and IPB continue to have their own success.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

Fred Sherman: I've scanned your avatar with my Google phone using the Near Field Communications (NFC) and i don't get anything back :)

Seriously...has anyone considered the fact that Steve (and possibly Marlena) are retiring? I know it hasn't been denied or confirmed...but Steve is definitely older than my parents (no offense Steve).
That didn't stop him from working at vBulletin. I doubt he's going to retire.

Sure, his customer service might be considered good by others, but behind the moderators' panel, I suggest him to stay far away from them. Forsaken thinks that I am letting personal experiences with him cloud my judgement on him. That's wrong.

Steve's moderation has been hailed by Kier as "fair" but I disagree with that. Because when I was in a discussion with another person about something, someone else came into that thread and tried to destroy my name (and my company) in public, and it's not the first time he's done it. Instead, he didn't get warned. I did. Steve read the report and speed'ed to my account and warned me without even looking at other posts.

At my own forums, I do my research before making a moderator's decision. If that person has made a spam post before, he's banned. If a person posts more than one clan thread in hopes of getting more traffic to his site, it's closed. No ifs, no buts. If that person does it over and over again despite warnings from me, he's gone.

Don't get me wrong. I used to respect him, but he's been on a downward spiral since late-vB3 into the buyout by iB.

His warnings felt more than just "doing his job" it felt so personal. I mean, several months ago, I got warned over an old, and I mean, an old post. 4 or 5 months old. One would think that a warning like that is useless. If not, then you might as well ban 50% of vBulletin. A lot of people have done worse than me, yet I am the one that got the boot so quickly that I'm not vBulletin's favorite customer.

Save your "you deserved it" speech. No, I didn't deserve them.

This is the last I am going to say on this subject.

I don't think that talking about VB here is something that is looked upon kindly so I'll add my piece here and will leave it to the powers that be as to how long they want to keep this thread open. Some observations:

I met Adrian this past February in San Francisco. He seems to be a very nice young man and 110% company loyal. At that time he gave me no indication that he was thinking of leaving and had seemed excited about some major initiatives underway at the company that he just couldn't talk about. Looks like his mind has changed, especially after being invisible on the forums since then.

At this point, with Steve M. leaving (who was there back when I was 10 years ago), there is virtually no one left who made vBulletin the great piece of software it used to be. The fact that four employees are leaving at once is significant since it represents at least 10% of VBSI employees. I've noticed that even the exalted Zoltan of the improved search (vapor) is a consultant. Lots of consultants. Downsizing employees, don't have to pay consultants benefits, lay them off once their work is done, etc.. Management said nothing this time and hoped nobody would notice the exodus. No patented marketing fluff. These are usually the signs of change which usually does not bode well for the customers.

Bottom line - I think now is prime time to start looking at moving your forum to XenForo since you'll have a start on future competition when the ground floor is rock solid. This upcoming release seems to address virtually every major issue and add extras that dazzle. It really doesn't matter what VB 5 will look like any more. Even if miracles happen, the huge number of VB 4 license holders will probably create the largest cyberspace ruckus when upgrade fees are demanded - especially since VBSI didn't even deliver on 25% of VB 4 after taking all that up-front money.

As some of you have seen, I've already made my inquiries for help moving my forum and site to Xenforo. It will be painfully costly to recreate some of the mods, redo the design, import the database with the additional data - but I think it's all worth it in the long run. And no time like the present - carpe diem!!! :D
Of course IB should concentrate on doing something good for vB5. If vB5 is a flop their customer base will leave them in droves.
Correction - their customer base is already leaving them in droves and they haven't said a word. VB 5 is far too little and far too late. And as I've alluded to above, if I were Steve M., I wouldn't want to be around to have to deal with the demand for upgrade fees after delivering nothing but headaches for the past two years with VB 4.

I met Adrian this past February in San Francisco. He seems to be a very nice young man and 110% company loyal. At that time he gave me no indication that he was thinking of leaving and had seemed excited about some major initiatives underway at the company that he just couldn't talk about. Looks like his mind has changed, especially after being invisible on the forums since then.
Interesting. I don't even know how to respond to this. The way that vBulletin people were 'treating' Adrian was like a mean-spirited individual, so your post is rather surprising to me. To say the least. Heh.
It really doesn't matter what VB 5 will look like any more. Even if miracles happen, the huge number of VB 4 license holders will probably create the largest cyberspace ruckus when upgrade fees are demanded - especially since VBSI didn't even deliver on 25% of VB 4 after taking all that up-front money.
It's only a matter of time. And most of the loyal members will feel the sting once the new changes are in effect. Those vb4 license holders are in for a rude awakening if departures of this calibur is anything to go by. Because two of vB's biggest leaders are gone. And one of them is very 'refund-minded' that the iB management won't be. I am probably the last person to receive that refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom