XF 2.0 vB 4.2.2 to XF 2.0 - Basic concerns.

Holmes

Hello

Just bought XF 2.0 license and going through installation now. A few things I need to get answered so I can proceed with no worries as I'm no expert and I want a seamless transition.

1. I received the following message:
Your server has disabled a core PHP function exec via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo. Your server has disabled a core PHP function proc_open via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo. Your server has disabled a core PHP function popen via the disable_functions directive in php.ini. This may cause unexpected problems in XenForo.

I had a quick search over the forum and figured these aren't critical functions, but I need some reassurance. I have read that exec is used for the media gallery, while proc_open and popen are used for the mailing system. As I'm not too fussed over the media gallery, I want to make sure the mailing system will operate properly with the latter functions disabled.

Really, major concern is that verification e-mails will be sent through just fine. These PHP functions are currently disabled on the vB forum we are using, but the verification mail system still works fine.

2. Importing a database. As I don't have access to the machine end of the forum, but I'll be doing the import anyway, I need to confirm what the following details require in the vB4.x import tool.

MySQL table prefix
Force character set

What would I need to input, or how do I find out?

Thank you for all help.

Seem to have ran into a wall during installation.
ErrorException: [E_WARNING] scandir() has been disabled for security reasons in src/XF/Install/Helper.php at line 140

1. XF::handlePhpError()
  2. scandir() in src/XF/Install/Helper.php at line 140
  3. XF\Install\Helper->getRequirementErrors() in src/XF/Install/Controller/Install.php at line 22
  4. XF\Install\Controller\Install->actionIndex() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 249
  5. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 89
  6. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 41
  7. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 1880
  8. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 328
  9. XF::runApp() in install/index.php at line 14
Any ideas?

Your host has disabled many functions, which will prevent XF from working correctly.
Ask them to enable all of the functions listed, or at the very least scandir.

If you are using SMTP for email, you don't need proc_open and popen.

The MySQL details should be available in the VB config file.

Your host is disabling a commonly used list of dangerous functions, contact your host to see if they will remove those functions for you from the disable_functions setting.

Edit - Beaten by seconds!

Hi. We're still having issues. Finally managed to get in touch with the host and he said everything is in order.
We're running 3 instances of vB4, one instance of vB5 and one instance of phpBB on this same host and they worked fine.

Our compatibility test checks out:
http://muonline.biz/xen/req.php

The options listed there aren't crucial to us as we will not be using the features reliant on exec and we have our own SMTP server.

However, this error still persists. Any alternative fixes in mind?
ErrorException: [E_WARNING] scandir() has been disabled for security reasons in src/XF/Install/Helper.php at line 140

1. XF::handlePhpError()
  2. scandir() in src/XF/Install/Helper.php at line 140
  3. XF\Install\Helper->getRequirementErrors() in src/XF/Install/Controller/Install.php at line 22
  4. XF\Install\Controller\Install->actionIndex() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 249
  5. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 89
  6. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 41
  7. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 1880
  8. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 328
  9. XF::runApp() in install/index.php at line 14

As I said, we have 5 forum software installed on our host machine, 3 of them are live, and the other 2 are testers. Host said scandir is enabled and we shouldn't have an issue with this.

I would ask your host to double check that it is enabled and that apache was restarted afterwards.

That error means it is disabled in the php configuration.

I will do exactly that then. Thanks.

You can also try this code out, put it in a file called test.php:

PHP:
<?php

error_reporting(E_ALL);

$disabled_functions = ini_get('disable_functions');

if ($disabled_functions)
{
    $arr = explode(',', $disabled_functions);
    sort($arr);
    echo 'Disabled Functions:<br>';
    for ($i=0; $i<count($arr); $i++)
    {
    echo $i.' - '.$arr[$i].'<br>';
    }
}
else
{
    echo 'No functions disabled';
}
?>

Providing none of its functions are blocked it should show you a complete list of what your host has disabled.

Just wanted to update this. The host did have another look into further detail and he did find that the PHP settings were only partly correct. Thank you for the help. :)

Just bought XF 2.0 license and going through installation now. A few things I need to get answered so I can proceed with no worries as I'm no expert and I want a seamless transition.

As another former vB user, (been on XF for three years now) all I can say is you are going to be sooooooooooo happy. XF is a better product in every way imaginable.

Seem to have run into an issue while running the importer. Had just started importing 3m posts at about 1% when this error hit me.
This page isn’t working
muonline.biz is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

Everytime I try to restart the importer it sends me back to the same error.
Any ideas?

EDIT:
The same error appears when I try to edit node permissions for a usergroup.

The script wasn't used. I asked the webmaster to double check that all features were enabled, and he came back to me saying it should be fixed. It was indeed fixed and everything went smooth till I hit this error.

Unless you are tied to this host, I would recommend looking for a new one.

It's unusual to have this many issues when just attempting to install and import.

We've been using this same host for years now, and have never had this sort or problem. We have had an incident a few years ago when one of our "trusted" staff installed a plugin which enabled a backdoor, hence all the paranoid security as we had to start 2 out of 3 vB4 instances from scratch.

At this point in time we wouldn't be looking at a new host.

Top Bottom