VB 3x end of life

xF is the future of the internet.

:)

Lately I've been thinking of The Internet as Earth's Nervous System.
[Education Point: The Internets is not just convenient ProN]
Before the Internet, the Earth didn't have a brain.
The internet is the Earth's brain.

So putting these ideas together ...

Xenforo is the future of the World ! and that's why we care so much. The future of earth is at stake !!

It does seem like an odd decision to me also to make vB3 EOL right now. Many people still view vB3 as the premium product for using they offer, so it doesn't make sense to me and is a bit like cutting your own wrist. People have been renewing their vBulletin licenses to get the latest vB3 version to use (not vB4).
That is exactly why we renewed the license. Since we had some money in the donation funds, we sprang for the "suite," thinking we'd put it to use down the road a bit. The moderators hated vB4 enough in our private testing forum (which also doubles as our private staff forum) that I never got up the nerve to convert the main forum over. Having to dump and redo all of the template modifications, and find equivalent plugins to replace those that we lose, was more than enough to tip it in favor of staying with our 3.x version. (In fact, didn't support for iTrader get pulled from vb.org, and was a Sphinx plugin ever developed? Those were our two deal killers preventing us from switching, ulimately.)

I read a vote poll there the other day asking how many people have converted from vB3 to vB4. It made me laugh because of the few replies made. Two had downgraded back to vB3 and another just stuck with vB3 still.

Doesn't the vB software "phone home" each time you log in to the admin control panel? Or can't they tell from the request for the news delivered to the admin control panel? If so, then they should know exactly how many of their sites are using each version of the software. Me, personally? I see more and more vB4 sites out there as time goes on, but I still see more 3.x versions still in use. Especially big boards. Most have been so heavily modified that they can't afford to switch.

I think it's a marketing issue myself. Push 4.0/4.1 hard, and bring out 5.0 as soon as possible, since certainly every customer will want the latest and greatest version! More income, and quicker! Think about it--how long did the 3.x product series last? When was 3.0 released? That was an impressive run. But too slow of a development cycle if your licensing model means that you pay for a one-time license. So, you need a new product every year or two to generate more income, as income from the current version wanes.

I'm only slightly bitter. vB3.x served us well. The licensing model was fair. The new licensing model seemed attractive at first, when you had promise of the newest/greatest version ever coming out, and never had to pay that pesky yearly renewal fee. But once the staff saw that they really didn't care for vB4 (still don't), and the fact that the vaguely-promised native support for Sphinx never materialized, I felt ripped off. XF, IPB, etc. are more likely to be future upgrade targets for the big board; vB won't even be on the short list.

I think it's a marketing issue myself. Push 4.0/4.1 hard, and bring out 5.0 as soon as possible, since certainly every customer will want the latest and greatest version! More income, and quicker.
And maybe even a pre-sale, site [sic] unseen. Doubtful I'll be going down that dark road again.

And v3 may be at its EOL, but my forum can remain on it longer.
That is once all the features are in place for me to move into the future.

Plenty of forums will remain on v3. There are still v2 forums out there.

That is exactly why we renewed the license. Since we had some money in the donation funds, we sprang for the "suite," thinking we'd put it to use down the road a bit. The moderators hated vB4 enough in our private testing forum (which also doubles as our private staff forum) that I never got up the nerve to convert the main forum over. Having to dump and redo all of the template modifications, and find equivalent plugins to replace those that we lose, was more than enough to tip it in favor of staying with our 3.x version. (In fact, didn't support for iTrader get pulled from vb.org, and was a Sphinx plugin ever developed? Those were our two deal killers preventing us from switching, ulimately.)

Doesn't the vB software "phone home" each time you log in to the admin control panel? Or can't they tell from the request for the news delivered to the admin control panel? If so, then they should know exactly how many of their sites are using each version of the software. Me, personally? I see more and more vB4 sites out there as time goes on, but I still see more 3.x versions still in use. Especially big boards. Most have been so heavily modified that they can't afford to switch.

I think it's a marketing issue myself. Push 4.0/4.1 hard, and bring out 5.0 as soon as possible, since certainly every customer will want the latest and greatest version! More income, and quicker! Think about it--how long did the 3.x product series last? When was 3.0 released? That was an impressive run. But too slow of a development cycle if your licensing model means that you pay for a one-time license. So, you need a new product every year or two to generate more income, as income from the current version wanes.

I'm only slightly bitter. vB3.x served us well. The licensing model was fair. The new licensing model seemed attractive at first, when you had promise of the newest/greatest version ever coming out, and never had to pay that pesky yearly renewal fee. But once the staff saw that they really didn't care for vB4 (still don't), and the fact that the vaguely-promised native support for Sphinx never materialized, I felt ripped off. XF, IPB, etc. are more likely to be future upgrade targets for the big board; vB won't even be on the short list.

I've seen sites also slowely taking the plunge and converting over to vB4 from vB3. But it has been very slow, much slower than should ever have been the case. What is interesting though for me, I've seen some do that and now only a matter of a few months down the line are ready to ditch vB4 for XenForo.

And some of them are Big Boards.

And maybe even a pre-sale, site [sic] unseen. Doubtful I'll be going down that dark road again.

And v3 may be at its EOL, but my forum can remain on it longer.
That is once all the features are in place for me to move into the future.

There is really no reason why anyone using vBulletin 3 on a dedicated hosting package, such as we're they have full control over MySQL and PHP installed. That they cannot carry on running their vB3 forums indefinitely. This is something I've never got with some people who are in that situation to do it, yet seem in a mad rush to stop using vB3 that still serves them well and their members enjoy using it still.

I see vBulletin 3 as probably being the best board out there today, still even. It has a proven track record for use as a Big Board and wipes the floor with IPB on powerful forum features. IPB for instance have tried to match vB 3 "feature for feature" to pinch customers, but they do it very weak with those forum features, I know I've used both and compared them. And I'm not talking about IPB add-ons, the forum software itself.

vBulletin 3 was a great product, but IB could of certainly supported it until at least majority of their customer has moved on from vBulletin 3 to the next vBulletin product.

I am trying to buy a IPB2 license today and IPB won't let me. Invision does not offer archived products like vBulletin. It is a shame really.

Maybe most people who still use vB3, have made so many modifications to their old communities since that they are refusing to upgrade their forums to vB 3.8.7. Who knows? Maybe this is something IB have spotted and feel it's no longer worth their while bringing out newer vB3 versions, simply because people using it are not paying and upgrading to it.

Maybe most people who still use vB3, have made so many modifications to their old communities since that they are refusing to upgrade their forums to vB 3.8.7. Who knows? Maybe this is something IB have spotted and feel it's no longer worth their while bringing out newer vB3 versions, simply because people using it are not paying and upgrading to it.
Good point. I never thought of that. By the looks of what admins have posted about their lifetime licenses and not needing to upgrade, you might be on to something their mrGTB. :coffee:

ditto, i cant move on from vb to xenforo until someone make a xenforo mod for downloadsII and an importer for vb mod to xenforo.been waiting and hoping for the past 5 months still no release of this mods. There has been few coders who said they would release it but none of them has release so far or even remotely showed real geniune promise..
so its looking dark here, and seriously considering not going with xenforo if theres not a mod for downloadsii sigh
just need to continue to have faith i guess

Have you contacted RS Jelle? Or know someone who has that has asked him about porting over his plugin for Xenforo? I have to think someone has asked him already and he has possibly tested out beta's on xenforo's software??

One can only hope right? :LOL:

I was thinking of switching to VB from mybb, VB 3 series but now its end of life its not really a smart choice. Much like digging yourself in a whole.

I was also thinking of moving to Woltlab Burning Boards but that seemed to offer not all types of plugins I was expected to use for that software board.

So we are just staying with mybb it seems. Don't fix what ain't broke is the motto behind that.

I was thinking of switching to VB from mybb, VB 3 series but now its end of life its not really a smart choice. Much like digging yourself in a whole.

I was also thinking of moving to Woltlab Burning Boards but that seemed to offer not all types of plugins I was expected to use for that software board.

So we are just staying with mybb it seems. Don't fix what ain't broke is the motto behind that.

I use MyBB, but to be fair I wouldn't rule out using vB3.8 completely if I was you. It's ultra stable software and supports PHP 5.3, it's also a lot more powerful than MyB with many more options for using if that's your thing and want to be a control freak with your members. :ROFLMAO:

Well you're not really digging yourself in a hole, there are always importers available to change to other solutions when they should completely stop security updates. ATM vB 3.8.x is still a very complete forum script with many features and modifications available, so it can still function as a step-stone to more up-to-date solutions in the future. BTW just wondering; is the reason you're not considering XenForo because it's missing something for you?

Well you're not really digging yourself in a hole, there are always importers available to change to other solutions when they should completely stop security updates. ATM vB 3.8.x is still a very complete forum script with many features and modifications available, so it can still function as a step-stone to more up-to-date solutions in the future. BTW just wondering; is the reason you're not considering XenForo because it's missing something for you?

Yes I know VB 3 series are now still good but the owners of VB want to digg it in a whole. The process has already begun. First by stopping to support it, hoping people move to VB4 eventually or sadly move to a other forum software.

Simple said VB 3 is on a long run not a future for your forum if you use it to power your forum. Because the owners behind it want you to "move".

To your last Question: Xenforo is great but I don't know how the admin side looks, I did had a chance to view it on a other site as someone offered his license as showcase for everyone to test out XF.

But didn't pay much attention then. Would really love to see the newest edition of XF from the admin view without paying.

And what puts me back are:

1. Restrictions like you can't change the default seize of your avatar
2. The price. Which isn't to much for someone who has the will to get the best for his site. But how do you pay for something you don't know all the features of?

Yes I know VB 3 series are now still good but the owners of VB want to digg it in a whole. The process has already begun. First by stopping to support it, hoping people move to VB4 eventually or sadly move to a other forum software.

Simple said VB 3 is on a long run not a future for your forum if you use it to power your forum. Because the owners behind it want you to "move".

To your last Question: Xenforo is great but I don't know how the admin side looks, I did had a chance to view it on a other site as someone offered his license as showcase for everyone to test out XF.

But didn't pay much attention then. Would really love to see the newest edition of XF from the admin view without paying.

And what puts me back are:

1. Restrictions like you can't change the default seize of your avatar
2. The price. Which isn't to much for someone who has the will to get the best for his site. But how do you pay for something you don't know all the features of?
For a free admin demo see this link: http://xenforo.com/demo

The avatar size can be changed with a modification: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-do-i-change-avatar-size.6817/#post-109103

Yeah noticed that demo page, I shall try it out now I guess. And thanks for the other link!

what puts me back is also this is still a pretty young software and not yet fully developed like other forum software.

But will take a look and see how epic the ACP is.

Btw you might know the answer to the following question:

Does XF have a reputation system like mybb or VB 3 series? A referal system, Arcade mod, prefix system,

the ability to style the name of a forum? For example add a small icon next to it or give it a other color...

In general does XF have more features then MyBB?

It is time to say good-bye and move on. vBulletin is a stylish 30 year old that is having an identity crisis with in need of medical attention; xenForo is now the new super cool foreign exchange student with the new sexy foreign accent that everybody cannot resist.

Top Bottom