VB 3x end of life

They are not going to, it's a simple as that. What you see now is what you're going to get.

That's Great news !

Here's what Spidey says:
IB.screws.vBulletin.3.users.with.IE9.incompatibilities.webp

I have an old forum that goes back to the days of Libranet. There are a few old timers that still hang around. They are all happy with vB 3.8. When it starts sputtering I have an unused XenForo license ready to go.

Just a little nostalgia, vB 3.X was so polished and the documentation is very complete. I had high hopes when they announced 4. I thought it would have the same polish and documentation......

I just hate it when small local banks are inhaled by the large national bankss.... customer service and quality always go downhill.

Jeff

I too am disturbed by the recent news, but I've lived a day-by-day strategy with forum software before. There could be some major bug in vb3 that IB couldn't easily fix; I couldn't blame them for falling back on the EOL announcement as a way to safeguard themselves from the exposure/expense. One of my remaining vb3.8 sites doesn't want to make any change, another would be supportive of if it was truly necessary. In either case, a decision to migrate will be partially based on the circumstances and what the benefits would be.

The "happy" group have a PhotoPost-Pro album they enjoy using. PP-Pro integration in XF leaves a lot to be desired, so if circumstances were critical today I'd probably have to go to vb4 or IPB. IPB would migrate the PP-Pro data to IP.Gallery if desired.

The other group would be more resilient regarding feature changes, partially due to unexpected transformations taking place now. A critical issue would more likely result in a migration to XF.

I went ahead and installed vb4 on one of my sites even though that I am reluctant to do so. I prepared myself for this EOL scenario, so instead of leaving my site on vb3, I upgraded. My site got some errors moving over the site from the old server to the new server. Gah. Looks like I'll have to spend some time remodeling the instance like www.cod4boards.com did.

Hate it when they do that, they don't care for the fact there clients don't wanna upgrade, but now don't have a choice now if they wanna carry on getting support. **** move imo.

Hate it when they do that, they don't care for the fact there clients don't wanna upgrade, but now don't have a choice now if they wanna carry on getting support. **** move imo.
To be fair, you'll see this with every software company. They can't support old and outdated software forever.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking this will send scores of vB3.x site owners to XF. They've not migrated to another platform for a reason; the other platforms (XF included) don't offer the features they currently have (most likely due to third-party add-ons).

XF is great, but it is not mature, and doesn't offer (as yet) the flexibility that even vB3.x has.

It will come, there's no doubt about that, but maybe the expected rush will be more of a 'trickle' for the moment.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I would recommend everyone using vBulletin 3 to upgrade to XenForo :)

But for those who maybe a little hesitant...

There is another group which will be offering open source updates, mods, and development on vBulletin 3

Mind you, they are not making releases... But will continue improving upon what has already been released.

http://www.vb3forever.org/

Sadly though, they will not be able to fix the Internet Explorer 9 bug without modifying source code to vBulletin 3, so you are overall better off upgrading to XenForo

Are there any serious IE 9 bugs with vb3? I looked at the tracker (which I find confusing) and couldn't find anything besides some smiley drop down issue.

I would recommend everyone using vBulletin 3 to upgrade to XenForo :)

But for those who maybe a little hesitant...

There is another group which will be offering open source updates, mods, and development on vBulletin 3

Mind you, they are not making releases... But will continue improving upon what has already been released.

http://www.vb3forever.org/

Sadly though, they will not be able to fix the Internet Explorer 9 bug without modifying source code to vBulletin 3, so you are overall better off upgrading to XenForo

Nothing is ever going to come of that site. For starters they would need permission to alter source code from IB in vB3 to do the job proper. And that's never going to happen, never ever. Not when it would help stop people buying vB4 and they've just gone and made vB3 EOL.

Also, I really don't think in general IB would take very kindly with another 3rd party site taking it upon themselves to help prolong the life of vB3 either, acting like it's new developers. I suspect they could expect legal action being taken from IB putting a stop on it.

And if I was the owner of that site, I would not even head down that rocky road of testing what Ib would do about it.

Top Bottom