Vaultwiki for Xenforo

No need for alarmist talk.
What's alarming? It was given a delivery date of 9 months ago, and still isn't here, even in alpha. Delivery has continuously been pushed out and missed throughout that 9 months. 3 months ago it was apparently only a few days, or a week at most until release. Thus my opinion is that it will not arrive anytime soon.

Vaultwiki 4 Alpha1 has been released: https://www.vaultwiki.org/articles/120/

The current version only supports vbulletin 4.14 and up.

Vaultwiki 4 Alpha2 will support XenForo!
Alpha 2 will also support vb3 and IPS. I would not be surprised if this is split up in separate releases. Vote here to get XenForo support before IPS: https://www.vaultwiki.org/threads/5116/

I would strongly suggest everyone interested to go to Vaultwiki.com and give feedback on the current Alpha. The Vaultwiki team is highly receptive to your suggestions.

Vaultwiki 4 Alpha1 has been released: https://www.vaultwiki.org/articles/120/

The current version only supports vbulletin 4.14 and up.

Vaultwiki 4 Alpha2 will support XenForo!
Alpha 2 will also support vb3 and IPS. I would not be surprised if this is split up in separate releases. Vote here to get XenForo support before IPS: https://www.vaultwiki.org/threads/5116/

I would strongly suggest everyone interested to go to Vaultwiki.com and give feedback on the current Alpha. The Vaultwiki team is highly receptive to your suggestions.

I was excited about this long ago - but when it ended up taking years and thousands of files I started thinking it may not be the cleanest and most streamlined code......

I'm sure it is hard work, but taking longer than the entire XF to write? Nah....
(Just my opinion - I hope they prove me wrong by releasing a great product someday).

June, 2011:
Release Date: exact date is unknown.

April, 2012:
Still waiting. No beta yet.

October, 2012:
Vaultwiki for Xenforo release may be imminent

December 7, 2012:
pegasus said:
Should be able to reinstall XenForo and wrap up the platform over the next few days

December 30, 2012:
pegasus said:
Hoping to wrap up the last of the template conversions to XenForo's template syntax today ...
... 87 templates done, 20 or so left.

January 7, 2013:
It was given a delivery date of 9 months ago, and still isn't here, even in alpha ...
... Thus my opinion is that it will not arrive anytime soon.

March 9, 2013 (4 days ago):
pegasus said:
Fixed the corrupt wiki, in the process lost all the template work that was done for XenForo ...
... I suspect every aspect of VaultWiki will continue to be this stubborn under XenForo

Uh, Yes!
I think the above clearly shows who is being mouthy ;)
History above, and nothing recent, leads me to adjust my statement - from 2 months ago - that it will not arrive anytime soon.

Sure there have been delays.
Vapourware was uncalled for.
IMO.

It's been worked on for xF for almost 12 mths, and a release was "imminent" in October last year.
On Jan 9th pegasus said, "For XenForo, pretty much ready to go".
On March 9th pegasus said, "lost all the template work that was done for XenForo" - how many steps back and behind now?
No screenshots or conceptuals have ever been shown to the public, even when it was 'imminent' or 'pretty much ready to go'.

Software products get called vapourware on a lot less basis.

It's been worked on for xF for almost 12 mths, and a release was "imminent" in October last year.
You are quite right to be highly skeptical. When things are promised for so long then there is a reason to be skeptical.
However, the proof is in the pudding. After years of waiting VW4 is now live on www.vaultwiki.org and there are some videos about its functionality. So there is definitely activity there and its clear that the software has come a long way. Mind that its a rewrite from a very advanced vbulletin addon to a even more advanced standalone product. That's a major overhaul. And it has gone to the stage of a public version. So certainly not vaporware. But yeah, very much delayed and still nothing you can install on XF yet.

I have seen that @Pegasus is working on a XenForo version of Vaultwiki, so we can expect a release at some point in the future. How 'imminent' the XenForo version is remains to be seen. We will find out when its released.

Based on his description of how hard it was to upgrade his own forum, I have to wonder on the ease of use quotient.....

I think better communication other than "I need to clean a few more things up for a release in the next couple of weeks" would help. If there are big problems, just say "turns out VBB is eating up all my time and XF is difficult to integrate, so it looks like it will be 3rd quarter of 2013".

I don't see the point in folks like me having to go and look/see and see the same thing for 6 months or more.

Hi, thought I should join in the conversation. Firstly, I know where everyone is coming from. We have said VaultWiki 4 was on the brink of release for 2 years (development was roughly 2 years 6 months). And sure this would raise questions about if it would ever come out or we were just talk-talking. Since VaultWiki 4 is available now for newer versions of vBulletin (with XenForo, I shudder to use the word, "soon"), I guess I should offer some information about what exactly took us so long.

For those who want to skip ahead of the history, I've enclosed it in ---s
---
To be perfectly honest we had never done an undertaking like this before. VaultWiki had always been a vBulletin add-on and couldn't really stand on its own. Rewriting VaultWiki was like writing an entirely new software. But as some others have mentioned, this might have taken other programmers 6 months or less. Unfortunately for the most part we only had one programmer starting out, so this should have given us a time frame of 9 - 12 months. We were only familiar though with updating VaultWiki for newer versions of vBulletin, so we significantly underestimated how long it would take. Not only that, but writing a stand-alone program is one thing. Writing something so abstract that it could be an add-on (without bridging) for any forum platform is another thing. Some days we just sat there for hours trying to come up with a code design for something and thinking our heads were going to explode.

We were actually largely done with VaultWiki 4 at around 9 months, and then vBulletin announced it was releasing a new editor... and they used the word "soon." So we waited, and after the first month went by, we decided we should do some further development. And instead of that, we basically threw out everything we had done with the user interface and data management and started over, because we knew it could be better. We started over and embarked on another 12 month journey. Let me just say that at this point we had never actually run VaultWiki outside of the admin interface. We had been working on something for the better part of 2 years and never got to see what it looked like. It's one thing to hear about and wait for something that you think might not actually exist. It's another thing to work on something that you're not sure actually exists. It was a depressing time indeed.

This brings us to 2nd quarter 2012 when we decided it was time to see what we had made, and thought it would be nice to share our experience of that with others. So we set up an Alpha-test server, and that test went on for about 2 months. Mind you, the core of VaultWiki 4 was done. vBulletin 4 was done. We got some great feedback during that time. While users were privately testing, despite people recommending against it due to the pending litigations, we worked on the XenForo version. By the end of summer, we almost finished it.

And then disaster hit. Real-life, software-unrelated. One disaster after another. More than one staff member leaving. Waste management systems failures. Floods. Car accidents. No heat or hot water. VaultWiki 4 was done for months, and it seemed like the universe didn't want us to spend the week it would take to write a packager so that we could release it. But we did.
-----

Which brings me to the problems we had upgrading our site. Yeah, we did. These were not usual problems that any other users, we think, should ever be faced with. We run a proprietary SVN-like server-side script that arranges builds as we modify the product and delivers the builds we want as releases to the public. And to make sure all code is thoroughly tested, the web site runs the most recent file revisions as its VaultWiki installation. That's not something anyone else would do; you would just upload the script to your directory of choice and that's it. No, we had to make changes to VaultWiki and figure out what paths to use so that we could run it right out of SVN. And on top of that, again unlike most users, every part of our site is dependent on VaultWiki. Our shopping cart script, our Members area, our user documentation, they are all VaultWiki scripts or rely on VaultWiki functions, and they all had to be updated. While some of these things were things we prepared for in a staging area, a lot was missed until users started complaining.

As for where we are with the XenForo release, I'm not going to go down the road again where I go with my feeling on the matter. All the XenForo stuff is done and we have a XenForo packager written and confirmed working. It feels like I could just click "Checkout" in the next few days and it will be released. But realistically, there's still a bit of debugging to do. It all works on vBulletin, but XenForo is a different (and much less forgiving animal). And now that we have the vBulletin version released and people are actually using it, bug reports are starting to come in. This distracts developers. They can't fix new bug reports and debug looking to make their own at the same time. While it feels like a few days, and while I would like it to be by the end of the month, in all reality, it probably won't be until the end of April, but I'll go the safe route and say sometime Q2 2013.

Unless something else bad happens like a fire or earthquake. I'm waiting. An earthquake in New York, it would happen now.

Can we have a couple of lines describing what makes WaultWiki so special?
VaultWiki is an ACTUAL thread based wiki... My XenCarta is not actually a wiki, its an article system with wiki-like features and a heavy focus on caching. Basically just an article with history reports and a diff system.

I used to use it on VB4 and it was fantastic; but it was overkill for my needs.

It might be interesting to note that Vaultwiki 4 has reached the second Alpha which is currently being tested by the alpha team. This version is not yet compatible with XenForo, but development is clearly moving forward.

Top Bottom