[UW] Forum Comments System [Deleted]

xffutureuser updated [UW] Forum Comments System with a new update entry:

Version 1.8.6

🔹 Online status indicator in comment's avatar added.

🔹When a comment was deleted or undeleted, the top of the page was shown. So this was changed to go to the reply where the comment was written.

🔹When uninstall, the "Don't remove comments data" checkbox was checked by default, just to make sure people don't forget to check it, because most likely everybody will want to keep the data.

[ATTACH...​

Read the rest of this update entry...

Under "Latest activity", it'll say "user X reacted to YOUR comment". Even if it's not your comment, or even if you're a guest. Not all the time, but a lot. I'm not sure what triggers it. Possibly only on comments where you click the "comment" button and it has that arrow with the username you're replying to.

Under "Latest activity", it'll say "user X reacted to YOUR comment". Even if it's not your comment, or even if you're a guest. Not all the time, but a lot. I'm not sure what triggers it. Possibly only on comments where you click the "comment" button and it has that arrow with the username you're replying to.
Actually this is already fixed and will be released in the upcoming version.

Last edited:
1. When moving a post with a lot of comments (about 14) to a new thread, the comments that were replies to other comments still had the little arrow. They weren't replaced with a quote. Not only that, but when you click the arrow it says "invalid comment". I had to manually replace the arrows with quotes.

2. The reactions weren't saved. The new posts that were comments had no reactions. :cry:.

1. When moving a post with a lot of comments (about 14) to a new thread, the comments that were replies to other comments still had the little arrow. They weren't replaced with a quote. Not only that, but when you click the arrow it says "invalid comment". I had to manually replace the arrows with quotes.

2. The reactions weren't saved. The new posts that were comments had no reactions. :cry:.
Actually this works as designed. They are showing invalid comment message because technically those comments are deleted and don't exists any more. But we can try to remove that arrow from replies.
The other option would be completely remove the arrow functionality (with commenting a comment) from comments too. People can just use the mentions. This functionality is not available in XF profile comments nor in any other XF add-on comments, nor in Facebook comments (Facebook has just the name), nor in vB5, they use just mentions. This was my idea and for comments, I find it useful.
However, especially for the rest, we are looking into possible improvements right now.

From moved comments, converted to replies, the little arrow link was removed. It was never designed to be replaced with a quote.

From the latest version, when comments are moved, now also the reactions in those comments are preserved.

I asked this over on the [TH] similar modification, but they said no. Does this mod allow users to individually choose whether to use this display or the standard flat display (with the comments shown as quoted replies)?

I love the idea; but I know many of my users won't (that's how the internet works). I can only introduce it if they have the option to turn it off.

I asked this over on the [TH] similar modification, but they said no. Does this mod allow users to individually choose whether to use this display or the standard flat display (with the comments shown as quoted replies)?
That is not technically possible.

I love the idea; but I know many of my users won't (that's how the internet works).
How do you know that? Have you ever had a proper comments system on your forum? Plus who doesn't like comments is not forced to use comments. It's optional. You will be still able to use regular replies with quotes. And with this add-on you can even use replies with quotes on commented text.

-----------------------------------
Here I've made first example of using this FCS in a forum. There are two threads. Both with exactly the same posts in the same sequence. One thread is with comments and the second is done the traditional XF way, using quotes, without comments (never mind the content, it's just an example not real opinions).

This thread is with comments: What are you listening to? - with comments
- All responses nicely stacked under one post. well organized, space saving, easy to read and see what other people think about the post.

This thread is without comments: This thread is done the traditional XF way using quotes, without comments: What are you listening to? - no comments
- You tell me what looks better. Users get it easily.
-----------------------------------

❗Now, before you buy anything, please study the manual I have created and is being updated continuously: FCS User Manual - Introduction so you know if this add-on suits your needs.

How do you know that?

I've been running the community since 1999, though various forum software and iterations. We've tried everything at various times over the last 20 years, and there's one truism that remains in place all through that -- it's hard to get people to like change, even if the change is better! I've been there so... many... times! :)

I absolutely agree that there's a reason Facebook and Reddit use nested comments rather than flat quotes.

I haven't yet purchased this add-on, but before I do I wanted to know if there is an option where only certain members would be able to view comments. Such as if you only wanted Staff Members to view/post comments on different posts, and normal members wouldn't be able to see those comments. It's something I wanted for a while for my community because we have Applications for certain things, and it would help out alot if only certain people would be able to comment on a post and see those comments, but the applicant couldn't see those comments.

If this didn't make any sense, let me know and I'll try to clarify better, but would love to know if this is a current feature.

Thanks,
IceTheDev

Agree with your points, very difficult to change habits especially if users aren't really forced to. The add-on may be useful in different cases, I'm finding for an active site with longer threads, the comments can get buried easily and users aren't sure they may be seen so revert to their usual way of posting.

I've been running the community since 1999, though various forum software and iterations. We've tried everything at various times over the last 20 years, and there's one truism that remains in place all through that -- it's hard to get people to like change, even if the change is better! I've been there so... many... times! :)

I absolutely agree that there's a reason Facebook and Reddit use nested comments rather than flat quotes.

This looks great. Quick question: is it possible to enable the comment system only in certain forum and not throughout the entire forum?

Thanks,

I have a question - let's say you install this addon, and at some point in the future you want to move to another platform - what will happen then? If the new platform does not have a similar system, this might become a big challenge. I am thinking about all those users who installed VBseo and at the time thought it was a great idea, but when migrating to e.g. Xenforo I think some of them wish they hadnt.

I hope that Xenforo will exist for a 1000 years :), but it is still a valid question.

BTW - I love this addon, but just concerned that an addon like this might be a problem in the future.

Top Bottom