Utah Fishkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think the focus of the site is too narrow. You could be based in Utah but aim at a global market. I have an aquarium myself, advice that is relevant to that is not going to limited just to Utah. I think that you need to expand the reach and make this clear in the description...for example:
We are the ONLY Utah based freshwater fish discussion forum, but we not just for people in Utah! Wherever you are in the world, if you're into keeping freshwater fish, THIS is the site for YOU! Click HERE to register TODAY and join our discussions.

I mean, don't copy that word for word, but that is the type of pitch you ought to be making to potential members.

My $0.02

I think your scope is too narrow. Consider making it a fish forum and specialize in Utah freshwater.

Don't feel the need to force yourself to make thousands of posts. Instead make a few dozen quality threads. BUT, your target demo in the beginning should be Googlebot, imo. For example, My favorite itch treatment ranks #1 on Google. But will people actually search that? Probably not. You should considering possible real world search terms when making threads. Think of them more as articles that will get visitors who might register.

So I just got a PM from a member who does not have a license so they can't post here. They say my site will fail because I am using the work Fishkeepers. I don't think that using the word fishkeepers will make my site fail.

Last edited:
Not much is coming to mind.

Why are you creating a forum about a subject that you know nothing about, and don't want to talk about? Kinda misses the whole point, doesn't it? If YOU don't care about it, why do you think users would? You expect people to just show up, and create a cool site for you on a subject that you can't be bothered with?

I belong to an aquarium forum site, and I have close to 5000 posts. You own this forum, and you have 297 posts... over two years? That's not even one post a day. Your site looks like something you whipped together in two hours, and haven't visited since. Why would you expect people to care?

Last edited:
Without even THINKING about it, here's stuff I could post on your site:

(1) Local store reviews
(2) Interesting species
(3) Show off your aquascaping!
(4) Freshwater plant guide
(5) Breeding case studies
(6) Filter reviews
(7) Artificial lighting for freshwater tanks
(8) Water chemistry - hardness, alkalinity and pH for beginners
(9) Disease and treatment
(10) Big tanks
(11) Nano tanks
(12) Species compatibility
(13) Industry news
(14) Fish food reviews
(15) Tropicals versus temperates
(16) Discus and angels species tanks
....I could go on and on and on... and I don't even OWN a freshwater aquarium. Get to work. People don't visit a forum if there isn't anything there to visit.

Set a goal to post at least ten interesting posts a day, with links to interesting articles, or talking about something cool that you saw. Make sure you include images, and video links as appropriate. Think of your forum site as a personal blog site until you create enough core content that people start returning every day to see what is new. Had you started two years ago, your site would already have 7000 posts - just from you, and probably a lot of users.

A forum site is a lot of work. You get out of it EXACTLY what you put into it.

There is a member of my site that keeps ragequiting. He joined in June and has wanted to be an admin because he was an admin on aquariumforum.com, but he claims to have destroyed the site. Before I knew about Aquariumforum, I made him an admin, but I then banned him after he ragequit. He has been sending me emails talking about how he hacked into my hosting account and then made a clone of my site, butt he said sorry came back as a regular member. He helped my site reach 1000 posts and hen he ragequit again. Is my site going to fail because he is gone?

There is a member of my site that keeps ragequiting. He joined in June and has wanted to be an admin because he was an admin on aquariumforum.com, but he claims to have destroyed the site. Before I knew about Aquariumforum, I made him an admin, but I then banned him after he ragequit. He has been sending me emails talking about how he hacked into my hosting account and then made a clone of my site, butt he said sorry came back as a regular member. He helped my site reach 1000 posts and hen he ragequit again. Is my site going to fail because he is gone?

He is now posting crap on twitter
https://twitter.com/OldFishKeeper2u/

Just ban him and be done with it. The individual is not worth the time, the energy, or the worry. You could also try sending in a report to the staff team at Twitter if that really bothers you, but you would be okay if you just ignored it, I believe.

His twitter account got closed :D
I think all those closed threads on your forum now look really bad. Either leave them open for people to discuss if they want to (they are genuine on topic posts after all), or else delete them altogether.

Also ditched the 'Banned' avatar and crossed out username for banned people. Potential users are not impressed by such 'displays of power', if you ban someone just ban them but don't make it discernible to an ordinary member reading the post.

As things stand today, your site is now about as off putting as it's possible to be for a new member, due to all the closed threads and 'Banned' avatars everywhere. Most people will run a mile.

I don't have a banned member list.
I never said you did.

You do, however, flag up banned members with:
A banned avatar
The word Banned under their avatar
A strike out through their user name.

Take it from me - and I've been running forums since before you were born - showing off your banned members like that puts people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom