Using Xenforo member DB for another site/app

gunnar

I'm planning to make an phone app and want to have the same user database for my xneforo site and the app. I want users to be able to set up profiles on both places created in the same database and usable on both app and site. Is this viable?

You would want Xenforo to handle any writes. Reading and authenticating against is easily okay. While there is no API built in at the moment there are addon's for either REST support or another API setup and that should probably help out.

So I would have to make the app contact xenforo installation to create users?

It would likely be best. Not saying it's the only way. But given certain issues that are likely to crop up its best to have one or the other handling user data writes. You can look at other SSO systems for Xenforo as an example.

It's different than integrating other software. I guess off the top of my head the closest thing in Xenforo that can create user accounts, etc. Is Tapatalk. I mean really the app talks to the plugin talks to xenforo. While it's not well coded thats another example for you to look at.

Thank you so much! I guess I will have to get someone with xenforo understanding involved in app development then..

Thank you so much! I guess I will have to get someone with xenforo understanding involved in app development then..

Depending on what you want I imagine you just need someone to create a plugin that provides an interface for your app to login, create user accounts, share data between the platforms. But your needs are better known by you.

A database is a database is a database. Doesn't matter what application is using it, creating the accounts, profiles, etc. As long as the information that is in the database aligns with what is needed by each application, it really doesn't matter.

If you want to use your app to write to the database, that's fine, just make sure all the information is there that xF needs (and in the proper format), or you're likely to run into problems, errors, etc.

A database is a database is a database. Doesn't matter what application is using it, creating the accounts, profiles, etc. As long as the information that is in the database aligns with what is needed by each application, it really doesn't matter.

If you want to use your app to write to the database, that's fine, just make sure all the information is there that xF needs (and in the proper format), or you're likely to run into problems, errors, etc.

Ok, thanks! So it sounds like I will be ok with getting an app signing in/up.. :)

Top Bottom