1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using helper spans

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Trombones13, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

I'd like to use the helper span in message_user_info in my custom style...but I think I missed the explanation on how to use them. :p I know how to add images to the navigation bar using them (thanks, Brogan :)), but can I make a similar edit in EXTRA.css for other helper spans?

Thanks in advance! :D
  2. Trombones13

Any ideas on this? :(
  3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What other helper spans do you want to utilise?

I haven't actually checked which ones are available.
  4. Trombones13

Wait...did I add that myself? o_O Looking at Chrome's editor, I have on my site a span class="helper" right above div class="avatarHolder," but it's not here on XF. If possible, I'd like to have a helper class to put an image (like the snow was placed in the header) over the avatar block. Hopefully that makes sense. :)
  5. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I added the following in my extra.css to get the following effect.

#messageList .postbit1 {
    background: transparent url('@imagePath/xenforo/gradients/headphones.png') no-repeat;
    display: block;
    height: 100px;
    left: 180px;
    position: absolute;
    top: 300px;
    width: 140px;
    Though I never had any helper span in message_user_info I inserted mine at the bottom. And the output is the following (below) I remember you talking about headphones so assumed.

6. Trombones13

Thanks, Shelley--yes, that was my plan. :D Is it possible to have them stretch around the entire box (probably removing the arrow to accommodate for it)?
  7. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I would personally leave the Arrow in. It wouldn't be too much work to re-size the headphones so that it covers the arrow. There is one problem though, I haven't spent any time nor figured out how to get the headphones displaying in each post of the thread, only the first post. If maybe someone could help here or I could look into it further once I get some time.

Edit: Almost there. I just need to fix the gap issue. It's now displaying in each post in the thread.

Attached Files: