Using Custom user fields with User group promotions

Using Custom user fields with User group promotions

As always, user group promotions run on a routine cron every 20 minutes and only apply to members who have logged in recently.

To apply it to all members, run the rebuild task in the tools menu.

1604949370619.png

Alright. So Rebuild user group promotions setting does work with xon's addon disabled so that's nice. My test account permissions were updated.

I had manually run the cronjob with my test account logged in. I suppose I can ask a few active members to test it out for me. As I do not really login using this particular test account regularly. Thanks!

Update: Also just noticed that the cron set on my board is not running every 20 minutes. Instead, it is set to run at 20th minute of every hour...

Last edited:
It depends what you are trying to do.

You can implement a promotion which adds them to another user group and update the existing promotion to only apply if they are not a member of that user group.

It depends what you are trying to do.

You can implement a promotion which adds them to another user group and update the existing promotion to only apply if they are not a member of that user group.

Unfortunately not.
Let's say I had 5 public groups that people can join, I was hoping to use the promotion as a way to let them select which group they can initially join. But if they want to switch, I wanted them to be removed from the first group, and put into the new group automatically.

They just need to deselect the option and they will be demoted.

Hi Brogan,
I just tried de-selecting the option, running the cron, and changing to another selection and running the cron. Neither one removed me from the first group, and I was not placed in the new one.

Hi @Brogan
I ran the "Rebuild user group promotions", and that seems to fix it every time the custom field is changed.

Is there a better way to automate this or figure out why the cron doesn't seem to work?

Promotions and demotions occur automatically for members who have logged in recently.

Or they will run the next time they log in.

Promotions and demotions occur automatically for members who have logged in recently.

Or they will run the next time they log in.

Ah okay, that was my issue. I thought I just had to keep the account active, so I was only refreshing pages. I just tested with the log off and login. We should be able to work around it with this then.

I should mention this doesn't seem ideal though when most people prefer to remain logged in all the time.

Thanks!

They don't need to log out/in all the time.

Promotions and demotions occur automatically.

Top Bottom