XF 1.5 Users not receiving confirmation emails etc

verve868

Hey all, I'm having a problem a few days now where users are not receiving their confirmation emails after registering.

Our site uses shared hosting with Hostgator. Our domain hosted by Godaddy and email via Google Apps.

I have tried various settings for the email from the various topics posted previously here but to no avail.

Contacted Hostgator and they said everything was fine on their end. I am stumped as to what to to next.

The server logs show the following -

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Email to emailtestertg@outlook.com failed: Connection timed out - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277

#0 /home/tg/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('tcp://smtp.gmai...')
#1 /home/tg/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(199): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
#2 /home/tg/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
#3 /home/tg/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /home/tg/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Mail.php(175): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#5 /home/tg/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Mail.php(152): XenForo_Mail->sendMail(Object(Zend_Mail))
#6 /home/tg/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/UserConfirmation.php(153): XenForo_Mail->send('emailtest@o...', 'TG.Test')
#7 /home/tg/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/AccountConfirmation.php(108): XenForo_Model_UserConfirmation->sendEmailConfirmation(Array)
#8 /home/tg/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerPublic_AccountConfirmation->actionResend()
#9 /home/tg/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#10 /home/tg/public_html/forum/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#11 {main}

Unfortunately it looks like it's going to be a networking/connection issue so your host is the only one who can resolve it.

Double check all of the settings in the ACP options are correct though, just in case.
If it has previously been working however and suddenly stopped working, then it's something external to XF.

Hey all, I'm having a problem a few days now where users are not receiving their confirmation emails after registering.

Our site uses shared hosting with Hostgator. Our domain hosted by Godaddy and email via Google Apps.

I have tried various settings for the email from the various topics posted previously here but to no avail.

Contacted Hostgator and they said everything was fine on their end. I am stumped as to what to to next.

The server logs show the following -

It seems like this might be Hostgator related. I am on the same host, and am having exactly the same problems... did you get a solution? I'm trying to contact them, but they have been terrible recently at responding.

Ps. If you use the local PHP sendmail solution, everything works. So it looks like Hostgator, on purpose of otherwise, are blocking connections to external SMTP servers.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm currently on chat to a very helpful customer service rep. He has stated:

"For the past 5 months, we accidentally allowed you (and others) to exploit bypassing our email gateways.

"We've corrected this error recently, and now we'll have to open the outbound ports that you need to utilize. I can submit a ticket to request this service. "

I have put in a request for my required port to be opened. Fingers crossed. You may need to do the same.

Top Bottom