1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Username conflicts while importing from vB 3.8

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Pepelac, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Pepelac

Pepelac Well-Known Member

Hi. Need an advice.

I was trying to import one forum from vB 3.8 and I got problem with usernames.
    Both DB are in utf8_general_ci.

The problem is in the fact, that from MySQL's point of view, for example letters (in russian alphabet) "ё" and "е" are the same, so 2 different users with names "Артем" and "Артём" are the same... And this is a problem not only for russian alphabet, for example it is true, that 'u' = 'ü' = 'ů'.

My question is: what I should do with such users? Rename conflicted users, or maybe set collation to utf8_bin instead of utf8_general_ci?

Thx for advices.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Personally speaking I would rename them as having 2 names which are deemed to be the same (by MySQL) could have other implications which aren't yet obvious.
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You don't want to use *_bin, because that's actually case sensitive (so mike and Mike are different users). Unfortunately, MySQL doesn't have any accent-sensitive collations as far as I know. You can modify their character set/collation records to make one, from what I've read. However, I don't think it's for the faint of heart.

So rename. :)
    Pepelac and Brogan like this.
  4. Pepelac

Pepelac Well-Known Member

Ok, thank you for your answers...