Questions about importing from vb 3.8

hopeful

Hi, I have a very large site running on vb 3.8. Here's a few questions:

1. Will Xen resize, or create new thumbnails of the images, or can Xen just be directed to the directories where they are? We have hundreds of thousand of images and don't want them resized or new thumbnails.

2. How long might it take on a medium powered server to import 8 million+ posts? Is there a way to speed it up, like with mysql settings?

3. Will the category structure of the forums remain the same? Will it import all the settings for each forum without necessitating redoing all or some of the options?

4. Will all the usergroup settings be carried over? There are so many settings in Xenforo for usergroups, last time I had to redo everyone and there are a couple of dozen on this site.

5. What important sections/functions/features will not be carried over from vb 3.8 to Xenforo?

Thanks!

Is there a way to avoid having Xenforo create new thumbnails? This is the slowest process and last time I moved a forum that big it took DAYS to redo the Thumbnails. Without that it might only take less than one day.

The thumbnail rebuilding is required - XF copies the original files from your VB installation to its own directory first, then creates the thumbnails.

The category structure will remain the same.

User groups will be carried over, as will permissions, but you will need to check everything and it's possible changes may be required.

I can't comment on the time required - it varies from site to site and from server to server.

Is that only if I install the Xen Gallery at the same time as the forum? What if I choose to do that afterwards? Can I copy the images first before installation?

If possible it would be best to have it create thumbnails in the background while the forum is live to not have so much downtime. vB does that well. I think there's around 150 gigs or more of images to copy and create thumbs... I assume that must be done before site can be live?

Again, I'm figuring it might take at least a full day, no? Our server has nothing else on it (dual quad xeons. 16 gigs RAM).

Top Bottom