XF 1.1 User Warning in XenForo 1.1

The XenForo 1.1 'warning' system allows board staff to handle trouble-making users in a structured and manageable way.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Update, October 15 2011:
I've made some changes and improvements...

Some of those have already been answered in this thread, but just to give a complete response:

There isn't an option to start a closed conversation.

Moderators see what you saw in the video in the front end. Moderators and administrators are two different functions, administrators won't have access to the moderator tools unless they are given the relevant permissions.

The person issuing the warning is shown in the overlay.

If you don't start a conversation the recipient is unaware, unless it is a public warning.

If moderators have the Manage all warnings permission then they can delete any warning.

If members have the View warning details permission then they can view all warnings, on their own profiles and others (a suggestion has already been made to view own warnings only).

The note is displayed in the warning overlay.

All warnings are templated. You can remove the comments section from the template.
You could probably also remove the conversation section to stop it being edited.

If you want to make all warnings public, give all members the View warning details permission.

I'd rather have a checkbox at the end of the send conversations that states "Disallow replies" - this way they're notified but they can't reply. If they want to debate about it, they can do so to another moderator (who the hell appeals to the same moderator who warned them anyway?)

Moderators see what you saw in the video in the front end. Moderators and administrators are two different functions, administrators won't have access to the moderator tools unless they are given the relevant permissions.
i doubt there is a superadmin in existence that hasnt granted himself moderator status. i suspect that the person in the video (kier) has all imaginable permissions, and the result is that it isnt too clear how i can lock down the warning page for moderators.

Even if you were able to close the conversation, it wouldn't stop anyone from starting a new one and copy/pasting the content from the warning conversation.

Even if you were able to close the conversation, it wouldn't stop anyone from starting a new one and copy/pasting the content from the warning conversation.
moderators cannot start conversations nor receive conversations from anyone they do not follow, and they follow nobody other than other moderators.

Imo it makes them think a bit if it's really worth starting a discussion or just letting it go. I have a mod installed on my forum that warns if their thread has been closed/moved/deleted, etc.. and since they implemented to auto leave/close conversation I can't think of the last time I received a conversation from someone complaining opposed of when I kept it open.

Anyways I think it should be an option, all I'm saying is if you keep it open, it invites people to start a debate!

As mentioned earlier by somebody else, I highly suggest adding permissions that will allow a usergroup to be able to view (not edit, etc.) their own warnings tab. I find that a really useful feature.

Other than that, it looks stunning, clean, and well organized. Nicely done!

Yes, if this isn't absolutely final for 1.1 - please consider the slight change to offer an option to send a "closed" warning PC. It *will* cut down on the majority of complaints/appeals.

Thanks,
Shaun :)

Correct, if they had the permission to start a Conversation. The Warning they just received may have taken that away, or they may not have had the permission to begin with.
Yes, if this isn't absolutely final for 1.1 - please consider the slight change to offer an option to send a "closed" warning PC. It *will* cut down on the majority of complaints/appeals.

Thanks,
Shaun :)
Having that option would be a great thing to have - though I personally would not tend to use it, I like to give people a place to 'vent' so things don't start showing up other places, such as on completely different forums.

On a side note, I find various peoples approaches to handling these types of issues quite interesting.. (y)

It's that age-old difficulty of telling people what to do, who don't like being told what to do.

Made more fun by the mass of completely unmoderated web spaces where people can say what they like without considering the impact on others.

Making the warning system as flexible as possible will be a boon for XF because it can be adapted to soft/med/hard approach, and suit open/closed/mixed moderating preferences.

We all moderate differently so something that works well for most all of us will be a definite bonus.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Not to mention, sending a 'closed' conversation will cut down on the number of open conversations the mods then have to go and leave manually. The whole conversation system I'm sure was a good idea, but sometimes you want to send them a message and not have it showing your in 'inbox'.

A fantastic implementation and I have posted the vid for our mod team to digest. (y)

Would a delete post/thread checkbox be possible? Generally when I am warning a user (in fact in 95+% of occasions) I am removing their post (or of they are the thread creator, the thread).

Being able to warn, PC and remove offending post from one page would be just perfect in our case.

Custom Style Authors need to be aware of this... I had to change back to the default style before I was able to see the "warn" button. It was just showing "report" otherwise. Not sure if this is isolated to my site only, but thought I'd post it anyway.

Top Bottom