XF 2.1 User upgrades: current members are paying already

Will Franco

Current members are paying for their membership already. Prior to Xenforo payments. How do we display the user upgrade to the ones that are not? Do we need to create two versions of the same group, e.g. Membership (Non-Xenforo payments) and Membership (Xenforo payments)? Or, is there a way to have one group, Membership, and split off the ones that are paying already, so the user upgrades only displays to the ones that are not?

I'm new here. Hope I got the Xenlingo right!?

Solution
Or you could just reach out to those members and ask them to upgrade via XF when their current membership expires.

Assuming that you want to migrate everything to XF and discontinue the use of the third party platform.
Upgrades are not available to members who have already purchased, or if they have been disabled due to other purchased upgrades.

Current members of this group pay us through a different platform (directly through our merchant account). How do we handle the situation moving forward? In other words, is there a way to keep one usergroup or do we need two?

Trying to get my words out here. Feel like I got the default ID10T answer.

As I understand it, I can create two user groups, one for currently paying and one for not. For example, "Members (Paying Direct)" and Members (Paying Xenforo). Is this the best way to handle the situation? Better a way to keep all members in one group.

I thought you wanted an automated process which would automatically promote and demote users who purchased upgrades.

If you are prepared to manually add and remove members to and from user groups then yes, that would work.

However, upgrades will still be available to members who haven't purchased them through XF.

Or you could just reach out to those members and ask them to upgrade via XF when their current membership expires.

Assuming that you want to migrate everything to XF and discontinue the use of the third party platform.

Solution
To migrate your manuals, there's third party add-ons that email a user when an upgrade is about to expire or has expired. If you have upgraded them manually they will still receive this for the upgrade they are subscribed to, and when they follow the link, they will be paying through XF.

Last edited:
XF reacts to the callback message it receives from the payment processor.

When a purchase is made, PayPal, Stripe, etc. send a callback with certain information which XF uses to upgrade the member.

If the member cancels the subscription, another callback is made and the member is downgraded.

There's a page called /account/upgrades
You can make it public with this:

Top Bottom