XF 2.2 User status Email invalid (bounced)

Onlyme

Hi,

I have the auto bounce feature setup and it's showing a user to have hard bounces in the panel. The issue is the users status is still valid. Does this update to email invalid by it's self, or must I do it manually?

If automatic is it done by cron?

There is a CRON job that runs regularly to check for bounced messages. I think it runs twice an hour and if there is a bounced email that meets the requirements of it being able to be read in existence in the bounce email account you configured, it should change the user state.
If you are using a 3rd party mail provider, it may not be returning the emails to the correct account so that they can be read. I remember someone commenting elsewhere here that SES had a habit of that.

There is a CRON job that runs regularly to check for bounced messages. I think it runs twice an hour and if there is a bounced email that meets the requirements of it being able to be read in existence in the bounce email account you configured, it should change the user state.
If you are using a 3rd party mail provider, it may not be returning the emails to the correct account so that they can be read. I remember someone commenting elsewhere here that SES had a habit of that.
So if a hard bounce is deleted once it would would change the users state upon the next cron run?

From my understanding, the hard bounce return should have gone into the email account that you created for use. Once the CRON job runs, and detected a properly formatted bounce return in that bounce email account inbox, it should read it and then mark the user as having an email invalid (bounced) and then delete that email (it's one reason I use IMAP for my connection type as deleting emails have been less problematic).
If the user is in an awaiting email confirmation state, then it will not mark it as invalid email (bounced state.

From my understanding, the hard bounce return should have gone into the email account that you created for use. Once the CRON job runs, and detected a properly formatted bounce return in that bounce email account inbox, it should read it and then mark the user as having an email invalid (bounced) and then delete that email (it's one reason I use IMAP for my connection type as deleting emails have been less problematic).
This seems to be exactly whats happening. Bounced setup is IMAP, the cron runs and logs the bounced email in the admin panel. The email is also deleted when the cron runs.

It's just the users state is still valid :(

Do you have the Enable variable email address values for automated email handling enabled or disabled? It can make a difference.

If they are hard bounces, it should happen immediately. You said they are showing in the XF log as bounced?
The second is a test account for a new user I was checking for bounce with (and since that account had not "confirmed" the email, it was still in an "awaiting email confirmation" status... the second was a simple check site I used, and even then XF detected the bounced email.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disabled. Will enable it.

Yes, hard bounced.

In your second test was the users status vaild, and then changed to invalid (bounced)?
No, the second was awaiting email validation. I entered a post and XF developer said that was normal since it was still in an awaiting status mode. May try testing out with a valid email and then changing it to trash if I have time.

I've done some more testing and it's working fine. What I forgot to mention is that this user was a moderator. It seems staff members status don't update, They seem to be exempt from their status changing.

Top Bottom