XF 2.2 New user bounced email not changing status

TPerry

Was doing some testing and set up a new user with an email I knew would bounce.
Amazon SES appropriately bounced the email, it got sent to the bounced email account I have set up and listed in the bounced log

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 4.35.44 AM.png

But when checking on that user account, the User State is still in an awaiting email confirmation.
Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 4.36.07 AM.png

Is there a CRON that needs to run to change that status to Invalid email (bounced, or is it correct left in the awaiting confirmation status?

The user shows (when viewing as that user) that they still need to confirm the email.

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 4.40.31 AM.png

The email address in the log is
Delivered-To: bounced+34e676c8+tikitwo1132=hotmail.com@astrowhat.com

Last edited:
This is something of a design flaw where XenForo can't record that a user awaiting email confirmation (of any type) has a bounced email.

XF really should record this to avoid a user being able to repeatedly spam the confirmation email to trigger email provider's sending those emails to spam.

This is something of a design flaw where XenForo can't record that a user awaiting email confirmation (of any type) has a bounced email
Maybe this should be moved into a bug report?
It seems like if XF already has the user name, the email address they used and the fact that it bounced and that they are still in the awaiting email status that they could move it to the bounced status. It's probably not that big of a deal as I doubt that alerts would get sent to users still in a pending status... but there should be an ability to notify the user that their email address bounced (the same way it shows confirmation pending) and that they need to correct it. Would be a much friendlier workflow for the end user.

Reactions: Xon
I'm experiencing something similar. I first reported it here https://xenforo.com/community/threa...lid-for-bounced-addresses.218530/post-1663838 where it seemed to be something unique, but now I've lowered the bounce thresholds to 1-1-1 under /admin.php?options/groups/emailOptions/ in order to disable accounts using temp emails, and it still seems to be broken:

In the bounce log I see a bounce on Feb 18, "Soft bounce logged" when it should say "Too many soft bounces".
bounce log.webp

I click on their email to go to their account and I see "user state valid":
user state.webp

I thought the problem might be that the bounce was recorded while they were in the modqueue, so I approved their account after it bounced, but that doesn't seem to be the case:
user log.webp

"Thursday" is Feb 15. 3 days prior to the bounce being recorded.

111.webp

I'm using this addon https://xenforo.com/community/threads/amazon-ses-bounces-support.192673/page-9 so I'll report this there too.

What i do is ban people that refuse to change their email address.
I've got @Xon's sign up and abuse addon along with his standard library and it remembers people. Block them from a second account.

Reactions: Xon
Top Bottom