User option to enable/disable a User Group: Resolved

Silent Kitty

EDIT: Found a way to do what I wanted, explanation in second post.

Looking for an Add-on that will allow a user to enable/disable a User Group that they are a member of. Or at least some way to allow them to enable/disable a Banner and custom username title

Essentially, we want an option added to the Your Account or Account Details page that lists what User Group(s) they are a member of and allows them to either activate or deactivate the User Group.

There would also need to be a modification to User Groups so that they have an option to not show up on that list (can't let users remove themselves from a Banned user group, for example).

Last edited:
Found a way to do this with a combination of the following addons:

And a step by step guide if anyone else wants the functionality:

Step 1) Set up a User Group. I will call it (Subscriber) Tier 1. Permissions don't matter.

Step 2) Set up a User Group. I will call it Tier 1. Set (Subscriber) Tier 1 as a Group Moderator for the Tier 1 group. Set other permissions or display options as you desire.

Step 3) Create a Custom Field (/admin.php?custom-user-fields/) using Drop Down Selection or Radio Buttons. Create an option for each choice you want to give the User. I placed mine under Preferences.

Step 4) Go to User Group Promotions (/admin.php?user-group-promotions/) and create one. Check the Add User to User Groups box for the Tier 1 group (not the (Subscriber) Tier 1 group). Under Apply This Promotion While, choose User Groups: (Subscriber) Tier 1. Go to User Field Criteria and scroll down to Preferences. You should see the Custom Field that you created in Step 3, check the box next to its name and the option that is associated with the group.

Step 5) Add users who you want able to use this option to the (Subscriber) Tier 1 group (via any of the available options for doing that).

Now the Users have an option under Preferences for which group they are in/is displayed. If you want to allow multiple banners at once, use multiple choice selection for the custom field. If you want the user to always have the relevant permissions and only be able to choose to display/not display a banner or Username coloring/title then put those permissions on the (Subscriber) Tier 1 group and only the Banner/Title/Username options under the Tier 1 group.

I would also like to thank @Xon for two of the three addons that make this possible, and for a bit of advice about how to go about doing this.

This is a great idea but I can't make it work :-(

EDIT:
Done!!
I should have set the view option to "never" instead of plain "no"...

Last edited:
Top Bottom